Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Matt Gaetz and 7 other Republicans work with Democrats to remove McCarthy

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Honeyman

Re: Matt Gaetz and 7 other Republicans work with Democrats to remove McCarthy

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:43 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:39 am
I'm no political junky, far from it. But from a little googling Kevin McCarthy seems to score pretty moderate for a republican. Somebody tell me who pays attention what do the Democrat's hope to gain by throwing him out? A democrat speaker? That doesn't seem likely. A more "liberal" republican? That doesn't seem likely either.
The Democrats didn't throw him out. The fringe Republicans brought up the measure to have him dismissed.

If you're asking why the Dems didn't save him, there is a famous quotation, "Never interfere with your enemy when he is making a mistake.” There is no way this move will make the Republican party stronger.

The censorship king from out of state.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:16 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:43 am
craig11152 wrote:
I'm no political junky, far from it. But from a little googling Kevin McCarthy seems to score pretty moderate for a republican. Somebody tell me who pays attention what do the Democrat's hope to gain by throwing him out? A democrat speaker? That doesn't seem likely. A more "liberal" republican? That doesn't seem likely either.
The Democrats didn't throw him out. The fringe Republicans brought up the measure to have him dismissed.

If you're asking why the Dems didn't save him, there is a famous quotation, "Never interfere with your enemy when he is making a mistake.” There is no way this move will make the Republican party stronger.
You should be embarrassed to type those words. 208 of the 216 votes to oust were democrats' . Fringe republicans brought up the measure with no hope of succeeding without overwhelming democratic votes. It was in fact the democrat's who tossed him out.
As to your explanation why I suppose it makes sense in that making republicans look bad takes priority over the American people.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:24 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:16 pm
Honeyman wrote:
craig11152 wrote:

You should be embarrassed to type those words. 208 of the 216 votes to oust were democrats' . Fringe republicans brought up the measure with no hope of succeeding without overwhelming democratic votes. It was in fact the democrat's who tossed him out.
As to your explanation why I suppose it makes sense in that making republicans look bad takes priority over the American people.
Look up the definition of the word "majority". It was the 8 Republicans who voted on the measure that was brought up by a Republican why McCarthy is out of speakership.
The censorship king from out of state.

MichMash

Post by MichMash » Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:51 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
craig11152 wrote:

From a column by Greg Sargent in today's Washington Post, an explanation as to the larger reason(s) why Democrats didn't step in to save McCarthy (emphasis added):
What’s become clear now is there is no Republican majority in the House united behind any governing approach. The Gaetz faction is committed to a project that most House Republicans ultimately are not: eschewing consensus governing entirely wherever possible and making no concessions to Democrats whatsoever.

In this, the Gaetz crew has been urged on by Trump, who wants Republicans to shut down the government to defund ongoing prosecutions of him, a Total War posture that would make any compromise on spending bills impossible. “The MAGA dysfunction caucus within the GOP just mirrors Donald Trump’s political style and program,” Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-Md.) told me.

But that’s not quite where McCarthy and most House Republicans are. Their game is to indulge Trump and the MAGA movement some of the time, but not all the time. They are willing to run bad-faith investigations designed to smear the Trump prosecutions, to launch an impeachment inquiry into Biden without any serious basis and to use hearings to hype fears that MAGA voters are widely persecuted by law enforcement.

But they’re not willing to damage their own political prospects (or infuriate big donors) with a protracted government shutdown, as the Gaetz crew wants. McCarthy will greenlight corrupt congressional hearings to help Trump, but he won’t follow the logic of Trumpian politics all the way to Armageddon. Yet there’s no GOP majority behind refraining from Armageddon, either.

At bottom, Republicans think Democrats should have helped save them from that problem. Republicans essentially want Democrats to stand by while they indulge MAGA in all kinds of sordid ways and then rush in to provide votes when MAGA’s demands grow so problematic for Republicans that the GOP conference can’t hold together any longer.

Democrats can’t play along with that. It would allow Republicans to get away with all they’ve done to nurture MAGA’s pathologies and permit the GOP’s more vulnerable members to achieve distance from those indulgences. That would make it harder to extract the price from Republicans that they should justly pay: losing control of the House.

"House Republicans have done nothing but feed Trump derangement and MAGA extremism three meals a day,” Raskin said. “When the monster turns around to attack them, why do we suddenly have to become their babysitter?”

The Gaetz faction might succeed in imposing conditions similar to those they placed on McCarthy on the next speaker — current candidates include Reps. Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) — under which the insurgents can force another motion to vacate if he, too, joins Democrats to keep the government open in November. If so, Democrats would then be asked to bail that speaker out as well.

Then there’s Ukraine aid. Jordan said Tuesday that he opposes a new package. But most House members — all Democrats plus more than 100 Republicans — support aid to Ukraine. So Democrats might try to force a discharge petition, under which the House would vote without the speaker’s approval, Raskin said, noting that, once on the floor, it would have “instantly the support of a majority in Congress.”

Democrats will have to strike a difficult balance. They’ll need to get creative in finding ways for bipartisan collaboration where it’s truly needed. But Democrats are not obliged to save Republicans from the MAGA mania they fed for so long when it is politically blowing back on them. The House GOP’s lack of a functional majority shouldn’t be the Democratic Party’s political problem to solve, no matter how many petty punishments Republicans dole out to Democrats along the way.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:57 pm

This the Republicans bed, time to lie in to...

Democrats have a simple solution: Elect the minority speaker. It would take any 6 Republicans to make it happen.

Then the "Bannon Eight" could go pound sand, and the moderate Republicans could work with the Democrats on reasonable solutions to legislation.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:04 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Chaos and making the Republicans look like they can’t do the job… McCarthy didn’t do anything to make the Democrats want to lift a finger for him and announcing an impeachment inquiry was probably the thing that extinguished any faint hopes. They were well into screw you and the horse you rode in on territory.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:30 am

craig11152 wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
craig11152 wrote:

Ya, the math doesn't add up here to support HM's postulate.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:45 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Congrats to them, hope the liberal posters here like Gymn Jordan. I told you all this shit was bad.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic