Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

UAW Strike

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
A1B1C1D1

UAW Strike

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:53 pm

When the UAW ends their strikes (contract expires 9/15) the real question is how successful they will have been regarding their new contracts. UPS flaunted the fact that drivers will earn $170k a year at the end of their five year contract when adding wage and benefits The UAW is seeking 40ish% wage increase over the course of their contract.

Keeping in mind the median American earns 50ishK a year, it will be interesting to see what the Postal service jumps too in their next contract.

Wage inflation continues in America, with the baby boomers retiring automation has been stretched as far as it can go. Denver airport is relocating baggage handlers from Guam to try to keep costs down.

Round Six

Re: UAW Strike

Post by Round Six » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:19 pm

If the auto makers were smart, they would let it "slip" that they are making contingency plans to permanently idle the plants because they fear they just can't afford the contract demands.

Nothing official of course. Just a bluff. Just let the rumour float around that they are exploring the option. Let the rank and file get a little uneasy. See how the talks go then.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:26 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:19 pm
If the auto makers were smart, they would let it "slip" that they are making contingency plans to permanently idle the plants because they fear they just can't afford the contract demands.

Nothing official of course. Just a bluff. Just let the rumour float around that they are exploring the option. Let the rank and file get a little uneasy. See how the talks go then.

It appears you've never been involved in collective bargaining. Companies make those threats and bluffs all the time.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:41 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:26 pm
It appears you've never been involved in collective bargaining. Companies make those threats and bluffs all the time.
I've been through quite a few contract talks. The company never had people walking around labeling piping and identifying electrical conduit. The company didn't "accidentally" leave Gantt charts laying around showing steps to idle. That's what I'm talking about.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:47 pm

No Union can squeeze a Company for more than it can pay. The Company would never agree to such terms.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:16 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:47 pm
No Union can squeeze a Company for more than it can pay. The Company would never agree to such terms.
I'm sure at one time you were a great union rep. But I'm thinking maybe you never represented a companies than took up more than a few blocks, and didn't have more than maybe 75 hourly at the most. It would be hard for places like that to do what I'm talking about and call that bluff.

Automotive manufacturing facilities take up square miles and employ over a thousand people just at one plant.
A place like that trying to bluff contemplating an idle would be more likely to work.

Let 'em walk. Then start bringing tanker trucks through the gate saying they're draining the hydraulic tanks. The boys on the line don't know those trucks hauling air in are also hauling air out. Drive some big spare parts past the picket lines out on flatbeds and go park 'em somewhere. It's all a facade.

Don't get me wrong. Management isn't smart enough to do anything like this. But you gotta admit if they did make it look like they were, the boys would start getting nervous. Just could help the company at the table.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:05 am

A 46% pay raise. A 32-hour week with 40 hours of pay. A restoration of traditional pensions. Full pay during any layoffs. Some I agree with. Get rid of the tiered pay system. Restore pensions, a pay raise? Yes, not 46 percent. You only want to work 32 hours a week, fine, but that's what you get paid for and no to full pay during layoffs.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:02 am

What strike? Biden says there isn't going to be a strike.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:47 am

Mutt wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:02 am
He's probably right.
Asking for a 40+ percent raise is exorbitant. The company knows it. The union knows it. And Biden knows it. But it's part of the dance.

I'm thinking it will end up 12 percent pay raise or so over the life of the contract. Maybe 15 percent. But I doubt it goes that high.

Instead, the company will agree to more COL or profit sharing,, increased health benefits, working conditions, etc. All that can be wrote off.

No matter what Biden says, the union will support him next year. Union leadership has always been card carrying members of the Democratic Party. They have to be.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:59 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:05 am
... A 32-hour week with 40 hours of pay ... You only want to work 32 hours a week, fine, but that's what you get paid for and no to full pay during layoffs.
This will never happen because most hourly couldn't live on 32 hours a week, even if you did give them what they would of made in 40. They have to have their overtime. Too much living high on the hog and deep in debt. I could see the company agree to 32 hours because they know better than union leadership I'm right.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:25 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:02 am
What strike? They aren't on strike. The parties are still bargaining. They haven't reached an impasse.

Neither side wants a strike. The job for those at the table is to get to a deal and they will.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:02 am

Turkeytop, I want to believe you on the no strike business but two of the three automakers have put offers on the table which have been soundly rejected. The head of the UAW sure sounds like he does want a strike knowing full well some of their demands are pure BS. Also if you following auto news, which I do, the big three have been pushing out lots of product for this work stoppage so they will be OK for quite a while when it happens.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:40 am

zzand wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:02 am
Turkeytop, I want to believe you on the no strike business but two of the three automakers have put offers on the table which have been soundly rejected. The head of the UAW sure sounds like he does want a strike knowing full well some of their demands are pure BS. Also if you following auto news, which I do, the big three have been pushing out lots of product for this work stoppage so they will be OK for quite a while when it happens.
Earlier in this thread, I alluded that after reading his "You Be The Judge" threads, seems to me he has always representated small businesses. Plastic factories, machine shops, etc. Turkey never refuted that.

kager

Post by kager » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:27 am

Give the workers what they want. Yeah, baby! 40 hours pay for 32 hours worked. A darling raise of 46% over 4 years.

But make them liable for the recalls, lawsuits, and corporate taxes on the things they made. You know - the shots they make, but never have to take.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:58 pm

Most of the demands the UAW are making are completely ridiculous, of course.

A reasonable raise (not 46 percent over five years), a reasonable signing bonus, and reasonable profit sharing would be appropriate. Longtime Buzzboard readers already know how much I dislike defined benefit pensions. They should be illegal, in my view.

As for recalls, most of those are due to poor engineering / product design. Engineers are white collar employees, not UAW members.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic