Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Threads is ready to smack down Twitter

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Threads is ready to smack down Twitter

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:47 pm

https://www.threads.net/

Here is Facebook's version of Twitter. We will see if it can attract those that left after Musk unleashed his brilliance. I don't think it will have the same professional cadence as Twitter once was but advertisers are ready to support a competitor. For me, it will be easier to only have Meta to deal with.
Mark Zuckerberg has taken the wraps off Threads, a clone of Twitter designed to lure people turned off by the social network’s changes under owner Elon Musk.

The billionaire social media smackdown is about to get real.

Before Meta’s free text conversation-focused app launched late Wednesday, we had a chance to try it and quiz its makers. We found Meta has some advantages over rivals to turn Threads into a major new hub for online conversations.

Most of all, it arrives with a potential audience of billions who already use Meta’s photo and video-oriented Instagram, which Threads is built on top of. Would-be Twitter rivals Mastodon and Bluesky have yet to grow beyond single-digit millions of users.

But Threads also comes with Meta baggage, including privacy, moderation and algorithmic feed practices that have turned many people off Zuckerberg’s other social networks such as Facebook. For example: From the moment you first log in to Threads, it starts showing you recommended posts from accounts and brands you don’t necessarily follow — or necessarily even care to see.

You’ll need to have an Instagram account to sign up for Threads. Then you can download the Threads app for iOS or Android, or go to Threads directly on the web to set up your account. You’ll use the same name for your Threads account as you do on Instagram.

When you first use the app, you’ll be given the option to automatically follow all of the same accounts you follow on Instagram — or just select some of them. We’re curious to see how this plays out: How much overlap is there between accounts you follow on Instagram for their epic photographs with accounts you want to read for their text or hot takes on politics and TV?

And one other thing to note: At launch, Threads isn’t available in Europe, where the Irish Data Protection Commission recently hit Meta with a record $1.3 billion fine for breaking its privacy rules. The region’s new Digital Markets Act also puts some of the Meta’s data-sharing and privacy practices into question.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Re: Threads is ready to smack down Twitter

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:07 pm

Threads. Movie scared the shit out of me.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:48 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:07 pm
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. The ending of that movie just gives you such an empty feeling.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:50 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:48 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:07 pm
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. The ending of that movie just gives you such an empty feeling.
Kevin Bacon was great in that movie.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:10 am

It's a shame Monkey Ward's is out of business...

Colonel Flagg could use some "new threads" :hat
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:27 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:10 am
It's a shame Monkey Ward's is out of business...

Colonel Flagg could use some "new threads" :hat
At the zoo? How appropriate.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:08 am

So now we will have two garbage cans instead of one

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:20 am

LOL, hopping over from Musk to Zuck. From one cesspool to another cesspool with a special compartment. What a choice.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:29 pm

And already Twitter is threatening to use Meta over IP infringement and for allegedly stealing their trade secrets.

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:41 pm

Well, according to this article, everyone will be dropping Twitter and using Threads:

https://www.businessinsider.com/metas-t ... usk-2023-7

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic