Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car as long as can...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
HD74

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car as long as can...

Post by HD74 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:28 pm

People who own busses also pay a lot for gas. I live in the country and go to the city to work. Most of my driving is around 45mph. No pickup here, just an Impala 9C3. Great gas mileage.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

craig11152

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car, as long as can.

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:02 am

Round Six wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:18 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 am
Round Six wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 am
Unless the frame is rusted through, no matter what's wrong with your jalopy can be fixed for less than 2 or 3 new car payments.
That is not true the average new car payment is about $720 +/- per a quick google search. There are more than a few fixes that exceed that by more than 2-3 times. Transmissions, head gaskets, engines come to mind.
Here's what jumps out at me when I read what you said:

What percentage of those repairs would of been needed if the owner was rigid about watching their levels, and religiously changing their oil and fluids when they are supposed to?
Modern engines and trannies cannot tolerate overheating, even for just a little bit.
Or having oil and fluids that are even a little dirty. Or filters that are not clean.

All the things I said in the second post of this thread.
Here is what jumps out at me..... "Unless the frame is rusted through, no matter what's wrong with your jalopy can be fixed for less than 2 or 3 new car payments. "
Those were your words. Don't change the goal post on me and then say its my fault.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Round Six

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car, as long as can.

Post by Round Six » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:30 am

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:02 am
Round Six wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:18 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 am
Round Six wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 am
Unless the frame is rusted through, no matter what's wrong with your jalopy can be fixed for less than 2 or 3 new car payments.
That is not true the average new car payment is about $720 +/- per a quick google search. There are more than a few fixes that exceed that by more than 2-3 times. Transmissions, head gaskets, engines come to mind.
Here's what jumps out at me when I read what you said:

What percentage of those repairs would of been needed if the owner was rigid about watching their levels, and religiously changing their oil and fluids when they are supposed to?
Modern engines and trannies cannot tolerate overheating, even for just a little bit.
Or having oil and fluids that are even a little dirty. Or filters that are not clean.

All the things I said in the second post of this thread.
Here is what jumps out at me..... "Unless the frame is rusted through, no matter what's wrong with your jalopy can be fixed for less than 2 or 3 new car payments. "
Those were your words. Don't change the goal post on me and then say its my fault.
I'm not moving any goalposts.

Your talking about major car repair costs of over two grand. I'm saying folks would never be needing engine or transmissions repaired or replaced if they were diligent about doing the scheduled maintenance, checking all the levels about every third fill-up, etc.

If you bought it new, it came with a maintenance schedule. How often to change the different oils, the tranny filter, etc. I stand by what I said. Follow the manufacturers schedule, you'll get 300K without needing new head gaskets.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

zzand

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car as long as can...

Post by zzand » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:56 am

within 300 thousand miles timing will need to be done, expensive. A lot of new vehicles come with CVT transmissions which cannot be repaired, they must be replaced, and many other costly repairs.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:00 am

zzand wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:56 am
within 300 thousand miles timing will need to be done, expensive. A lot of new vehicles come with CVT transmissions which cannot be repaired, they must be replaced, and many other costly repairs.
Many of those are do you love your car or not territory…

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:09 am

true

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:25 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:25 pm
There are some facets regarding how he runs his business with which I disagree, and it seems in this particular instance, he was guilty of not doing due diligence. Doing reads for a shady company like that deservedly sullies his credibility, in my eyes.
As a friend of and a guy who misses Bruce Williams, I tried Ramsey for a while but didn't care for him.

I don't think he wakes up in the morning and decides what misdeed he's going to do that day.........instead, I think he is just a little too emotional, and is one his own most adoring fans. It's awfully easy to slip off the path when you are that impressed with yourself.

He's got some good ideas and generally gives "ok" advice, but I don't think his average listener is able to see the grey areas often present in financial decisions.

The whole thing is just a little too cult-like for me.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:37 am

I have a Tacoma with 356,000 miles. Trust me when I say that occasionally a transmission needs replacement. I did mine at 340,000.

I did an engine swap at 255,000 on my Eurovan, but that was a result of overheating by the P. O.

I have a bus with 1,100,000 miles on it with only a refreshed sleeves and the same transmission.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:37 am
I have a Tacoma with 356,000 miles. Trust me when I say that occasionally a transmission needs replacement. I did mine at 340,000.

I did an engine swap at 255,000 on my Eurovan, but that was a result of overheating by the P. O.

I have a bus with 1,100,000 miles on it with only a refreshed sleeves and the same transmission.
Allison Manual or Auto?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:43 am

Spicer 4 speed
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:05 am

I drove my 2001 Chevy Blazer until late last year when it literally rusted out. I paid $2500 for it in 2011 with 117k miles on it and it was my daily driver since then. Never needed any major repairs and was driving perfectly if not for the rust. They sure put enough damn salt on the roads in these parts.

That vehicle replaced my 1990 Pontiac Grand Am that I had purchased in 2001 for $1900 and drove until 2011. It died a similar death, though the engine was on its last legs when it finally rusted out

Now I drive a 2003 Ford Escape. Overall a nice vehicle but not quite as comfortable as the previous two.

So I have never owned a car newer than 10 years old and have never had any major problems with either. I can't imagine how many thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars I have saved compared to most people my age in regards to vehicle expenses.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:29 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:43 am
Spicer 4 speed
Well now that’s interesting.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:32 am

90⁰ angle from the engine to diff, and shift on the tree...
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:22 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:32 am
90⁰ angle from the engine to diff, and shift on the tree...
Not bad, the fact that it’s on the tree is interesting though.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:10 am

I avoid Dave Ramsey, Suzie Orman and the like.

I check my oil weekly, add oil to make sure it is on full if any has burned off or leaked out, and change my full synthetic oil every three months or 3k miles. Why waste money paying to change my oil too often? Project Farm on youtube has a great video on oil, while it is 100% true that full synthetic oil really does hold up as long as it claims, a small amount of gasoline in the oil immediately renders it useless. Extending oil changes with gas in your oil will damage your engine. Most modern engines leak a small amount of gas into the oil, especially in the winter when the engine runs harder and is less efficient. This small amount builds up over time.

I agree to hold onto a car until the engine or transmission goes. With used cars and interest rates much higher, buy the cheapest new car you can find and pay it down in 36 months. You should have a bumper to bumper warranty so it is easier to budget that $1k car payment assuming you don't rack up a ton of miles. If your job requires you to be a road warrior, I hope they are getting mileage reimbursement or make good money. I am always stupefied when I hear of people driving an hour each way for a $45k job.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic