Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car as long as can...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car as long as can...

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:42 am

Dave Ramsey often says your cheapest car is the one you're already driving.

From an Environmental standpoint that might not far off either. It takes a lot of energy to make a new car.

I get between 50-60 MPG in my car during Summer, I plan to keep driving it for long time.

As a plus, AM Radio and Ham Radio work great in it (no spark or electric motor noise)!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mr ... r-AA1cfe37
Last edited by audiophile on Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Round Six

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car, as long as can.

Post by Round Six » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 am

Without a doubt. Unless the frame is rusted through, no matter what's wrong with your jalopy can be fixed for less than 2 or 3 new car payments. Pay for a detailing twice a year. Stay on top of fixing any rust or scratches as soon as you notice them. Same with any glass chips and cracks. Look at your levels at least every third fill up and never let your levels go low.

You can get $300K if you do all the above. It's really not hard at all to keep a car in showroom condition.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Matt

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car as long as can...

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:20 pm

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

audiophile

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car as long as can...

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:30 pm

A bit off Topic, but unless Ramsey owned part of that company my guess he would just be found guilty of running an AD...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:25 pm

There are some facets regarding how he runs his business with which I disagree, and it seems in this particular instance, he was guilty of not doing due diligence. Doing reads for a shady company like that deservedly sullies his credibility, in my eyes.

I'm jealous regarding your 50+ mpg, by the way. Definitely keep that car until it croaks!

Fuel efficient ICE cars and hybrids are the way to go, in my opinion.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:20 pm
Dave Ramsay is a piece of shit: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dave-ramse ... hare-exit/
Someone just smells money. I'm confident none of us can sue Fox2 or WJR for running ads for products that turn out to be defective. Seems the same to me.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:32 pm

I tend to agree that the plaintiffs probably don't have a leg to stand on here, and some class action trial lawyers are looking for a payday.

AM talk radio hosts read ads for questionable service companies frequently it seems.

I will say some of Ramsey's personal financial advice is good, and some of it is questionable.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:45 am

Back to the topic of high mileage vehicles, this link is about mechanics discussing brands that can get 500K:

https://www.the-sun.com/motors/8302391/ ... rs-brands/

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:25 am

Good link, let's keep this thread idea going:

Guiness record for hypermiling at 81 MPG, beats even hybrid:
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/vw-golf-td ... my-record/

My car uses same engine, just in 3 foot longer car. I use ECO tires at 40 PSI.
Last edited by audiophile on Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

craig11152

Re: Dave Ramsey and Mr Bean are right, keep driving your current car, as long as can.

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 am

Round Six wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 am
Unless the frame is rusted through, no matter what's wrong with your jalopy can be fixed for less than 2 or 3 new car payments.
That is not true the average new car payment is about $720 +/- per a quick google search. There are more than a few fixes that exceed that by more than 2-3 times. Transmissions, head gaskets, engines come to mind.

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:33 am

IF you put away one car payment away per year, I bet there would be enough money for most fixes.

I do my own car work, so it's never going to be much.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:18 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 am
Round Six wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 am
Unless the frame is rusted through, no matter what's wrong with your jalopy can be fixed for less than 2 or 3 new car payments.
That is not true the average new car payment is about $720 +/- per a quick google search. There are more than a few fixes that exceed that by more than 2-3 times. Transmissions, head gaskets, engines come to mind.
Here's what jumps out at me when I read what you said:

What percentage of those repairs would of been needed if the owner was rigid about watching their levels, and religiously changing their oil and fluids when they are supposed to?
Modern engines and trannies cannot tolerate overheating, even for just a little bit.
Or having oil and fluids that are even a little dirty. Or filters that are not clean.

All the things I said in the second post of this thread.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:46 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:33 am
IF you put away one car payment away per year, I bet there would be enough money for most fixes.

I do my own car work, so it's never going to be much.
I put away $50/mo. Any major fixes I've had so far were covered either by warranty or insurance. But there's always money in the account to pay for upkeep and maintenance.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:52 pm

I put away $50 a week just for gas.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:06 pm

Three cheers to the idiots who paid $60k for a truck, then detune them to get 10 mpg. Way to roll coal dumbass.

Keep in mind most people drive city miles, so 50 mpg is unrealistic.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic