Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

State Of Emergency In North Carolina

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: State Of Emergency In North Carolina

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 25, 2023 12:37 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:32 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:26 am

No Bryce, we don't need for profit education paid for with tax dollars because in most cases the money ends up being stolen by the operators.
You have your tongue so far up the teachers union ass that you can tell what they had for lunch.

I highly doubt that tax money sent to, lets say, Catholic Central Novi, would be stolen. But I'm glad you admit that government oversight doesn't work.
Google "Charter School Fraud" sometime. Oversight works great, but why hand money to the privatized crooks?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 25, 2023 12:40 pm

TCT - do you have any evidence whatsoever that on a per-capita basis, private schools are more corrupt than government schools?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 25, 2023 1:17 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:40 pm
TCT - do you have any evidence whatsoever that on a per-capita basis, private schools are more corrupt than government schools?
Charters are not private schools. Private schools have an obligation to be fiscally responsible. Charter schools have no such incentive. Infact, in most states, charter schools aren't legally required to report like public schools need to report.

Public schools have all the legal mandates of a public organization. Incidents of fraud just don't happen or don't happen for very long.

You can always find exceptions, but the percentage of fraudulent charters is higher than public schools.
A comprehensive examination released Thursday of charter school failure rates between 1999 and 2017 found that more than one-quarter of the schools closed after operating for five years, and about half closed after 15 years, displacing a total of more than 867,000 students.
WP Post

I an a big fan of education, but this is a failing idea.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 25, 2023 1:29 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:17 pm
bmw wrote:
Charters are not private schools. Private schools have an obligation to be fiscally responsible. Charter schools have no such incentive. Infact, in most states, charter schools aren't legally required to report like public schools need to report.

Public schools have all the legal mandates of a public organization. Incidents of fraud just don't happen or don't happen for very long.

You can always find exceptions, but the percentage of fraudulent charters is higher than public schools.
A comprehensive examination released Thursday of charter school failure rates between 1999 and 2017 found that more than one-quarter of the schools closed after operating for five years, and about half closed after 15 years, displacing a total of more than 867,000 students.
WP Post

So then, you'd be in favor of "school of choice" if only private schools and other public schools were choices and charter schools removed from the mix?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:48 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:09 am
bmw wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:17 am
How cute - TC Talks doesn't think that corruption exists in government schools.
It also clearly violates the establishment clause of the constitution.
No. It violates someone's interpretation of the establishment clause. If we assign those tax dollars to the student/parent, where they choose to spend it doesn't involve the government.
That’s a fig leaf work around when you know very well where the dollars are going to go. Separation of church and state isn’t theoretical. It says “congress shall make NO LAW respecting the establishment of religion. Using parents as a pass through doesn’t pass the smell test.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:17 pm
bmw wrote:

WP Post

So then, you'd be in favor of "school of choice" if only private schools and other public schools were choices and charter schools removed from the mix?
Yes, it's proving itself a failing wasteful model. We gave it a try, and we got poor results.
Last edited by TC Talks on Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm

Perhaps TCT can explain this:

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 25, 2023 1:42 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm

Looks like support ebbed and flowed but declined among whites and was never a majority. A minority of Republicans probably did the same thing on Abortion.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 25, 2023 1:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm

Nothing to explain, even Brookings admits that charters have a failure rate of near 50% within 15 years.

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 25, 2023 2:21 pm

Do you think Charter schools would have a lower failure rate if there wasn't such a large segment of the population that is hostile towards them? I mean, that seems to be the argument about public schools - that the education one receives there would be better if people would stop supporting private and charter schools and funnel all their efforts towards public education.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 25, 2023 2:42 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm

That’s a fig leaf work around when you know very well where the dollars are going to go. Separation of church and state isn’t theoretical. It says “congress shall make NO LAW respecting the establishment of religion. Using parents as a pass through doesn’t pass the smell test.
First, congress isn't making a federal law. This is being done at a state level. Second, giving a child an opportunity for a better education at a private school isn't establishing a religion.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 25, 2023 2:50 pm

The bottom line for me is that the parent should have complete say in where his/her child gets educated - whether that's in a public school, private school, or charter school, I don't care. This is something I don't believe the government should decide.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 25, 2023 3:04 pm

I agree, but I am not paying for your kid's education if it involves God. Think about the Catholic Priests and what they do to kids. You can pay for that kind of education with your own money.
Last edited by TC Talks on Thu May 25, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 25, 2023 3:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:50 pm
The bottom line for me is that the parent should have complete say in where his/her child gets educated - whether that's in a public school, private school, or charter school, I don't care. This is something I don't believe the government should decide.
Then why should the government fund it? If you don’t want to partake in publicly funded schools.. ok. But don’t ask for public dollars to fund your alternative choice.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 25, 2023 3:06 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 3:04 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:50 pm
Then why should the government fund it? If you don’t want to partake in publicly funded schools.. ok. But don’t ask for public dollars to fund your alternative choice.
Just like a true conservative looking for a hand out.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic