Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NAACP warns African Americans, minority groups to avoid Florida

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

Re: NAACP warns African Americans, minority groups to avoid Florida

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue May 23, 2023 11:17 am

bmw wrote: I struggle to comprehend how so many people can think the same way. How people can look at what people like Whitmer, Cuomo, and Newsom did to the people of their states and not only defend, but praise how they handled Covid ... What those governors did was the textbook definition of totalitarian rule. Whitmer was averaging more than an (ultimately unconstitutional) executive order a day, limiting people's personal freedoms.
And you believe that was done because they WANTED to be authoritarian dictators, or did they just want the best of a bad situation? I struggle understanding why Whitmer is a bad guy but DeWine in Ohio did much of the same during the same time period and gets a pass. Is it due to his "R" next to his name?
Public schools were shut down in many places for upwards of 2 years. Basic math and literacy skills among elementary students affected by this are the lowest they've ever been. And people are going to ignore than and then sit here and tell me that DeSantis banning the teaching of one single subject in advanced placement classes or that the banning of a few sexually explicit books is detrimental to education. ARE YOU F---ING KIDDING ME? How can I conclude anything other than that these people are deranged? Their opinions are not the result of rational thought processes. ...if you can't recognize the damage that the people you supported have already done to education over the past few years, then you have no standing in this debate IMO.
I fully agree, a lot of damage has been done. But it's done. Perhaps some Govs made some bad choices, but I don't believe those choices were made to intentionally cause damage... How is this problem solved? Do any of you want to actually work toward a solution or just complain?

Even thou mistakes were made, DeWine, Whitmer, Cuomo and DeSantis all did what they thought was best for their state as this unknown enemy crept up and attacked their constituents. Please show me where that statement is wrong.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue May 23, 2023 11:49 am

I have always thought that individual Governors and their health people read the information available and did what they thought best, with the exception of of the nursing home mess. Our Governor started lifting things after only 7 weeks and after two months we were back to normal. As for the damage done to kids in school, not really sure how to fix that. My grandchildren came through better than most of two of them never went back to traditional school and graduated early using an online academy. Tuition was not too bad and they were better off for it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 23, 2023 12:55 pm

Meanwhile, last year in Miami Beach during spring break...

Doesn't look like these folks were too worried about their safety from Floridians. Wonder why none of these folks decided to visit Traverse City?
Last edited by Bryce on Tue May 23, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 23, 2023 12:56 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:17 am
And you believe that was done because they WANTED to be authoritarian dictators, or did they just want the best of a bad situation? I struggle understanding why Whitmer is a bad guy but DeWine in Ohio did much of the same during the same time period and gets a pass. Is it due to his "R" next to his name?
I'll be honest - I'm not familiar with DeWine's policies as Ohio governor. If he did a lot of what Whitmer, Cuomo, and Newsom did, then the R next to his name means nothing to me. The 3 I named were the most egregious examples I could think of.

As to Whitmer specifically, I disagree with your assessment to the extent that she got into a pissing match with Republicans in the state legislature and made quite a few decisions that were motivated solely out of spite when they tried to take back the powers that were rightfully theirs via the state Constitution. There were things that she did that I'm sure she personally thought was best at the time - but that's the problem: much of what she did wasn't her decision to make (legally) but she did it anyways. SHE knew what was best and refused to cede emergency powers to those who legally possessed them; THAT is what makes her an authoritarian.
fully agree, a lot of damage has been done. But it's done. Perhaps some Govs made some bad choices, but I don't believe those choices were made to intentionally cause damage... How is this problem solved? Do any of you want to actually work toward a solution or just complain?
I will agree that decisions made related to schools weren't made with the intention of damaging children. However, I don't think the overeall well-being of the children was the top priority that was motivating those decisions; rather, it was the teachers' unions throwing a hissy fit and the political sway that they have. The problem won't be solved until the structure of the teachers' unions is drastically changed and/or reduced. They are powerful entities that have priorities other than the well-being of our children.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 23, 2023 8:32 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 12:56 pm
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:17 am
I'll be honest - I'm not familiar with DeWine's policies as Ohio governor. If he did a lot of what Whitmer, Cuomo, and Newsom did, then the R next to his name means nothing to me. The 3 I named were the most egregious examples I could think of.

As to Whitmer specifically, I disagree with your assessment to the extent that she got into a pissing match with Republicans in the state legislature and made quite a few decisions that were motivated solely out of spite when they tried to take back the powers that were rightfully theirs via the state Constitution. There were things that she did that I'm sure she personally thought was best at the time - but that's the problem: much of what she did wasn't her decision to make (legally) but she did it anyways. SHE knew what was best and refused to cede emergency powers to those who legally possessed them; THAT is what makes her an authoritarian.
fully agree, a lot of damage has been done. But it's done. Perhaps some Govs made some bad choices, but I don't believe those choices were made to intentionally cause damage... How is this problem solved? Do any of you want to actually work toward a solution or just complain?
I will agree that decisions made related to schools weren't made with the intention of damaging children. However, I don't think the overeall well-being of the children was the top priority that was motivating those decisions; rather, it was the teachers' unions throwing a hissy fit and the political sway that they have. The problem won't be solved until the structure of the teachers' unions is drastically changed and/or reduced. They are powerful entities that have priorities other than the well-being of our children.
The teachers were more vulnerable to COVID than the kids. Kids are vectors for all kinds of germs… so it makes sense to go slow in bringing them back. Trying to corral 30 kids to stay as clean as needed under the circumstances and learn just isn’t feasible. If you start losing teachers for weeks on end and then lots of subs the whole thing goes belly up… you don’t have to kill them, just incapacitate a third of your teaching staff at once… we always have prayer I guess which is apparently all you feel was needed… god forbid someone try to coordinate something at a higher governmental level…

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 23, 2023 9:28 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:32 pm
The teachers were more vulnerable to COVID than the kids. Kids are vectors for all kinds of germs… so it makes sense to go slow in bringing them back. Trying to corral 30 kids to stay as clean as needed under the circumstances and learn just isn’t feasible. If you start losing teachers for weeks on end and then lots of subs the whole thing goes belly up… you don’t have to kill them, just incapacitate a third of your teaching staff at once… we always have prayer I guess which is apparently all you feel was needed… god forbid someone try to coordinate something at a higher governmental level…
Many schools in Europe remained open through Covid.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/13/world/sc ... index.html

The above article comparing how the US handled education to how much of Europe did is worth the read. And it is on CNN of all places.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 23, 2023 9:53 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:28 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:32 pm
Many schools in Europe remained open through Covid.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/13/world/sc ... index.html

The above article comparing how the US handled education to how much of Europe did is worth the read. And it is on CNN of all places.
If you're suggesting the US should start governing more like the EU, we agree.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 24, 2023 5:29 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:32 am
bmw wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:58 am
This thread almost seems intentionally teed up for tweaking TC Talks' comments about Traverse City to apply to Florida:
TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:47 am
My point is that you seem to want Florida to be convenient for you and unless you like how the governor is running the state, you might be happier elsewhere. You can't argue that it's not successful with a balanced budget, growing tax base, and popularity. Complaining won't help much.
OP wants Florida run a certain way? CHECK
OP doesn't like how the governor is running the state? CHECK
Balanced budget? CHECK
Growing tax base? CHECK
Popularity? CHECK
Complaining won't help much? CHECK
And so you dramatically altered my post. For someone who is convinced covid was a global conspiracy and hoax, you leaving Michigan for Florida is a good idea. It will further your crazy idea that people leave a place when it becomes Democrat. Michigan isn't likely going Red soon.
And just wait until the mouse tax $$ go bye bye.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 24, 2023 6:16 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:32 am
bmw wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:58 am
This thread almost seems intentionally teed up for tweaking TC Talks' comments about Traverse City to apply to Florida:
TC Talks wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:47 am
My point is that you seem to want Florida to be convenient for you and unless you like how the governor is running the state, you might be happier elsewhere. You can't argue that it's not successful with a balanced budget, growing tax base, and popularity. Complaining won't help much.
OP wants Florida run a certain way? CHECK
OP doesn't like how the governor is running the state? CHECK
Balanced budget? CHECK
Growing tax base? CHECK
Popularity? CHECK
Complaining won't help much? CHECK
And so you dramatically altered my post. For someone who is convinced covid was a global conspiracy and hoax, you leaving Michigan for Florida is a good idea. It will further your crazy idea that people leave a place when it becomes Democrat. Michigan isn't likely going Red soon.
And just wait until the mouse tax $$ go bye bye.
Disney isn't leaving Florida.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 24, 2023 6:28 pm

Disney isn't going anywhere, but DeSantis has a power enemy who will roll back his cra cra shortly.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed May 24, 2023 9:38 pm

Disney should pull out of Florida and take all those jobs and tourism dollars with them. Big loss to Florida.
TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:28 pm
Disney isn't going anywhere, but DeSantis has a power enemy who will roll back his cra cra shortly.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 24, 2023 9:39 pm

Taco wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:38 pm
Disney should pull out of Florida and take all those jobs and tourism dollars with them. Big loss to Florida.
TC Talks wrote:
You're an idiot.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 24, 2023 10:59 pm

Taco wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
That would be awfully hard to do.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 25, 2023 5:48 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:39 pm
Taco wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
You're an idiot.
+1

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 25, 2023 4:13 pm

Disney can easily expand in California. They don’t need Florida. It could happen.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic