Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

California task force OKs 800 billion in reparations

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Honeyman

California task force OKs 800 billion in reparations

Post by Honeyman » Sun May 07, 2023 8:53 am

I can't believe even California is wacky enough that this will happen.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/californi ... tate-800b/

The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Re: California task force OKs 800 billion in reparations

Post by Rate This » Sun May 07, 2023 9:45 am

Honeyman wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:53 am
I can't believe even California is wacky enough that this will happen.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/californi ... tate-800b/
The real problem is that other groups who are white or other races were also treated like dirt for a long time… why not them too? Also making every black person descended from a slave automatically wealthy seems ridiculous on its face.

What if your great great grandmother was 3% black from a slave… would you qualify?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun May 07, 2023 10:40 am

Seems like scheme to buy votes, but I think it would violate equal protection clause of the constitution.

Kudōs to HM for bringing up this topic, because the whole thing seems so over the top.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 07, 2023 10:53 am

audiophile wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:40 am
Seems like scheme to buy votes, but I think it would violate equal protection clause of the constitution.

Kudōs to HM for bringing up this topic, because the whole thing seems so over the top.
I think a state is free to do whatever it wants with its own money.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun May 07, 2023 10:55 am

It the taxpayers money, so that statement is incorrect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Protection_Clause
By its terms, the clause restrains only state governments. However, the Fifth Amendment's due process guarantee, beginning with Bolling v. Sharpe (1954), has been interpreted as imposing some of the same restrictions on the federal government: "

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun May 07, 2023 11:36 am

You realize the fraud, scams, fake profiles, dead people, persons who scam the system and collect more than they are supposed to get, all that would happen...
That amount of $$ will never happen, especially if it's from the taxpayers...
The legal challenges and court dates will go on for years and years...
All that just to get votes...
"I voted for reparations for you oppressed African-Americans who are descendants of slaves, now go vote for me, even though you will never see any of the reparations that I promised you" said the bat-shit politicians who run and ruin the state of California...

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 am

Why would descendants need reparations for something that didn't personally effect them?

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun May 07, 2023 4:03 pm

Well I'm pretty sure I've said this before.
All it would take is for the ancestors of those persecuted in other countries to file lawsuits against those countries. No chance to win of course. But I have no doubt it would nip all this reparation talk in the bud.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun May 07, 2023 4:11 pm

Taco wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 am
Why would descendants need reparations for something that didn't personally effect them?
I agree.

A child that is put up for adoption can't sue their biological parents for reparations, so unless someone is 160 years old why are these Democrats coming up with this clearly unconstitutional idea?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun May 07, 2023 9:28 pm

What? We've found a political topic that everybody agrees on? Granted, TC Talks hasn't chimed in, but still....

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun May 07, 2023 9:40 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm on board with everyone else.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun May 07, 2023 11:36 pm

From an NPR article:

" .. After California entered the union in 1850 as a "free" state, it did not enact any laws to guarantee freedom for all, the draft recommendation notes. On the contrary, the state Supreme Court enforced the federal Fugitive Slave Act, which allowed for the capture and return of runaway enslaved people, for over a decade until emancipation.

"By participating in these horrors, California further perpetuated the harms African Americans faced, imbuing racial prejudice throughout society through segregation, public and private discrimination, and unequal disbursal of state and federal funding," the document says ... "

So this appears to me to be a California problem. Not something other states and the federal government may need to follow suit.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/07/11746273 ... -residents

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Thu May 11, 2023 4:58 pm

So reparations are being discussed in the UK. Talk of giving former colonies whose ancestors were subjugated to the horrific realities of the British Empire some cash and apologies. Why can't the Irish Americans also saddle up to the trough? Seems the reason they came here is because they were persecuted over there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... eparations
Last edited by Round Six on Thu May 11, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 11, 2023 4:59 pm

Taco wrote:
Because generational wealth and generational poverty exists.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 11, 2023 5:24 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:59 pm
Taco wrote:
Because generational wealth and generational poverty exists.
To a point. Rich black folks whose ancestors were slaves would like a word with that logic. So it exists but in the same way a hillbilly is likely to have hillbilly kids. It's a cycle.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic