Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AP Course too black for Florida

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

AP Course too black for Florida

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:09 pm

This is disgusting. This messes with kids trying to get into college. The racist Ron DeSantis doesn't stand a chance in a national election.
Last week, it was revealed that the Florida Department of Education had sent a letter to the College Board, saying it would not adopt the board’s new Advanced Placement African American studies course for its public schools. The course is “inexplicably contrary to Florida law,” the letter said, “and significantly lacks educational value.”

Meanwhile, AP courses in European history, American history, world history, U.S. government and politics, and other subjects, in various languages, remain untouched.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: AP Course too black for Florida

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:29 am

Keep em dumb and ignorant. Hitler kept information from the Jews. DeSatan follows suit.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:04 am

Here is the high school curriculum of the Florida Advanced Placement African American studies:
Black Queer Studies, Movement for Black Lives, Black Feminist Literary Thought, The Reparations Movement and Black Struggle in the 21st Century.
This is a cut-n-paste from NBC News.

Here's my thought:
Students striving to do well academically and heading to college aren't going to be interested in this curriculum.
Students not doing well academically should be spending class time on fundamentals, not this,
What do you think?

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:03 am

Round Six wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:04 am
Here is the high school curriculum of the Florida Advanced Placement African American studies:
Black Queer Studies, Movement for Black Lives, Black Feminist Literary Thought, The Reparations Movement and Black Struggle in the 21st Century.

Here's my thought:
Students striving to do well academically and heading to college aren't going to be interested in this curriculum.
Students not doing well academically should be spending class time on fundamentals, not this,
What do you think?
I think white males won't be interested, I agree. White males are now a minority in the US, and it's time to offer a more balanced curriculum for all college bound students.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 am

Round Six wrote:

Here's my thought:
What do you think?
Here's a thought... let the market (students) decide... if they want to take it... cool. If not? Cool too. It doesn't interest me but a bunch of people wouldn't be interested in a course titled: "Transportation Studies: Moving America" either... I'd be right there.

Diversity in thought is a great thing.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:59 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 am
Round Six wrote:

Here's my thought:
What do you think?
Here's a thought... let the market (students) decide... if they want to take it... cool. If not? Cool too. It doesn't interest me but a bunch of people wouldn't be interested in a course titled: "Transportation Studies: Moving America" either... I'd be right there.

I wonder how much it costs to equip each school in the state to be able to have this curriculum available?? Does it require teachers who have been trained on the subjects? Does it require books or other learning materials? Does it require paying licensing or leasing of materials or concepts?

Should they be spending the time and effort (and $$) on getting a higher percentage of their students to be functional in the real world?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:57 pm

Round Six wrote:

Here's my thought:
What do you think?
Welcome back, Oxshort.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:14 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 am

I stand by what I said previously.
These are high school courses designed for coasters. No high school student that is serious about higher education is going to want to burn an hour each day taking these sort of classes. Regardless of race.

Notice I'm not saying offering these classes are not a good idea. Not everyone can accumulate enough credits to attend a good college. These are great "fluff" classes to help those struggling to graduate. Although like I said before, maybe they should be brushing up on the 3 R's instead.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:40 pm

Coasters? Ever take an AP class? These are nationally accredited college level courses.

My kids both entered college with a full year of credits already completed. Both would have taken this class.

Is anyone here 15- 19? No? Quit answering for them, you would be amazed how equality has improved with Gen Z.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic