Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

67 mass shootings as of Valentine's Day

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: 67 mass shootings as of Valentine's Day

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:31 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:04 am
Guns are FAR more common now than they were then.
Do you have any evidence to support this assertion? While numbers from prior to 1972 are seemingly illusive to come by, between 1972 and today (so 50 years), gun ownership by household has remained surprisingly stable in the low-40-percentile.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249 ... a-firearm/
Rate This wrote:
Open carry wasn’t a thing.
So is your contention that the problem isn't gun ownership in the home, but rather the legality of carrying of guns in public? You may be able to make the argument that open carry hasn't been a particularly successful deterrent to violent crime as advocates would argue it is, but I don't know what evidence you have that it has actually directly led to more violent crime.
Rate This wrote:
Can you explain why places without a gun culture are still doing fine? Europe isn’t enslaved by its government…
I'll give you one counter-example: China. I don't have the time to compile such a large data set, but it would be interesting to compare where every country stands on the freedom index relative to where it stands on the legality of gun ownership. I suspect there would be a positive correlation between legal gun ownership and freedom.
Rate This wrote:
There will come a time fairly soon… next 20 to 30 years will you will see major movement on this. Baby Boomers are dying now and Gen X isn’t far behind. This country will be quite a different place indeed on a whole host of subjects including this one.
I'm not so sure about that. Public support for stricter gun control was higher during the Bill Clinton years than it is today.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:36 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:19 am
Present your proof or shut up about this nonsense. It's bullshit.

On the otherhand, cops running away is well documented.
-----Makes inflammatory claim that cops frequently run away, without supporting evidence-----
-----Demands proof that opposite is true------
-----Re-states original claim, again without supporting evidence-----

Dude - maybe you should take a class or two on how to engage in a debate. Because this ain't it. The first person to make a claim is the person who has the burden of providing supporting evidence - you can't just make a baseless claim and then demand that I prove the opposite to be true.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:51 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:36 am
.... you can't just make a baseless claim and then demand that I prove the opposite to be true ....
That to be honest is a profound statement. See this a lot at work. Our Thursday morning safety meetings often get into interesting discussion while we wait for the bosses to get their crap together and put on the meeting. I think I'll be using what I just quoted every once in awhile.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:52 am
Where were all the highly trained civilians to save the day?
Ummm ... Is the MSU Campus a "gun free zone" where no one is allowed to carry a gun?
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:20 am

Round Six wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:09 am
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:52 am
Where were all the highly trained civilians to save the day?
Ummm ... Is the MSU Campus a "gun free zone" where no one is allowed to carry a gun?
I believe it is. Of course without guns you can’t have a shooting. If we as a country went to the German model… demonstrate a NEED to have a gun… we’d be better off. Germany isn’t collapsing with a government subjugating its citizens and causing them untold misery. They are just fine. I’m 33… I’ve never owned or touched a gun. I haven’t died or been enslaved. I’m actually pretty happy. I don’t see a need for a gun… it’s a tool with one purpose… death.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:47 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:06 am
Actually, the highly trained civilians do show up to save the day. FREQUENTLY. Very frequently. They just rarely get the media coverage they deserve.
You really think that the media is making a concerted effort to bury these "average Joe hero saves dozens of lives!!!" stories? There's nothing they love more than the everyday guy going above and beyond.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:19 am

Motown322 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:47 am
You really think that the media is making a concerted effort to bury these "average Joe hero saves dozens of lives!!!" stories? There's nothing they love more than the everyday guy going above and beyond.
I agree with you IF they know about it. Gun advocates would do themselves a big favor by making a coordinated effort to spread the word far and wide whenever such a thing happens. Even the one on one party store shootings.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:10 pm

bmw wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

-----Makes inflammatory claim that cops frequently run away, without supporting evidence-----

Dude - maybe you should take a class or two on how to engage in a debate. Because this ain't it. The first person to make a claim is the person who has the burden of providing supporting evidence - you can't just make a baseless claim and then demand that I prove the opposite to be true.
You present everything with precision except when you are selling bullshit.

Gun owners rarely save the day. They shouldn't be carrying unless they are heading to the range.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 pm

bmw wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Cool story Bro, maybe you can brush us up on The Marquess of Queensberry Rules given your extensive knowledge of anything/everything? :roll:

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:43 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 pm
Cool story Bro, maybe you can brush us up on The Marquess of Queensberry Rules given your extensive knowledge of anything/everything? :roll:
Yeah, I know you're a cop hater too, just like TC Talks. :roll:

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:01 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:43 pm
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 pm
Yeah, I know you're a cop hater too, just like TC Talks. :roll:
"Hater" is a little harsh. Let's just say I don't derive the same sense of pleasure metaphorically sucking cop dick as do you. (No kink shaming intended)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:12 pm

And the cops "often" run away? Now there's some misinformation if ever I saw it. Beyond one glaring, high-profile example in recent times, the vast majority of cops put their lives on the line every day to protect others. Pretty sure cops responded to the MSU shooting. Go take your LL101-level anti-cop BS somewhere else.
Cops ran away (or willfully stayed away) in both Uvalde and Parkland.

I do agree those are exceptions to the rule.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:18 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:10 am

Actually a lot of the time the folks doing the disarming are UNARMED. Rarely does anybody happen to be carrying a gun in the right spot where a shooting is taking place.
Umm maybe because they are prohibited from having one in "the right spot."

If you use the FBI definition of “mass public shootings” as an incident in which four or more people are killed (excluding the shooter) by gunfire in a non-gang or non-drug related capacity, as well as a “gun-free zone” as areas where the average citizen, even those with proper permits, can’t typically carry guns, somewhere around 97% of mass shootings take place in gun free zones.

Time to ban Gun Free Zones, they are simply nothing but Killing Fields.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:27 pm

I'd love to know why the Lansing PD didn't confiscate the perp's weapon after responding to calls of outdoor gunfire in the residential area where he resided. You can't use a backyard as a shooting range in a residential area.

The father reportedly had concerns regarding the perp's mental state for awhile. If a red flag law were in effect here, perhaps, just perhaps, the weapon could've been confiscated at some point.

Per the Freep:
Last time the brothers spoke was at their mom’s funeral two years ago in Lansing and the conversation “wasn’t good.”

Anthony McRae had no children, no spouse and no friends his brother knew of. He worked at warehouse jobs in Lansing.
Gee - no warning signs there. The perp was also living with dad at age 43, and before his mother passed, evidently lived with her.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:50 pm

This thread is everything I thought it would be. Happy valentines day!
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic