Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pot Smoking Griner For a Dangerous Arms Dealer

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
craig11152

Re: Pot Smoking Griner For a Dangerous Arms Dealer

Post by craig11152 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:31 am

I have no clue if arms dealers are anything like drug dealers but when a big drug dealer is taken off the streets somebody else just fills the void.

I no longer directly engage trolls

kager

Post by kager » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:41 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:55 am
Am I the only one who is just a little skeptical about the state department's story that Griner is being housed at a military medical facility in Texas solely for treatment / mental health review purposes?

I cannot help but wonder if U.S. officials are hoping to gather intel regarding Russia's treatment of incarcerated U.S. citizens.
Nope.

While officials _may_ be gathering intel, I'd wager they are more interested in coaching BG on what to say on The Today Show and other shameless promotion machines about the nation, as they attempt to recover some of their expenses (monetary and political) related to bringing BG back.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:48 am

Very possible.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:48 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:31 am
I have no clue if arms dealers are anything like drug dealers but when a big drug dealer is taken off the streets somebody else just fills the void.
The more I read, the more I think our president set a bad precedent. Bout is already saying he supports Russia in the Ukraine conflict. And is eager to help Putin with anything he needs.

I see commentaries worrying about Americans getting grabbed off the street because groups perceive our government as now willing to swap a tourist for a terrorist.

Someone here mentioned don't go to Russia. There may be some merit saying don't go anywhere.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:49 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:55 am
Interesting read. I'm sure some of our radical left members will discard it solely because it came out of John Bolton's mouth.
I can't help but wonder why we couldn't get a 2 for 1 swap if Russia wanted that arms dealer back bad enough.
As usual, the Biden administration was on the defensive and panicked, and took the terrible deal in order to ease the heat they were getting from the Progressives he is constantly trying to appease. They don't care about bring home a middle age white male, so Biden got them off his case for this, and can now work on bringing Whelan home at his leisure.

I'm happy Griner is home, whether I agree with her politics or not I don't want any Americans wrongfully detained in other countries. But any leverage they had to negotiate getting Whelen home as well is gone. And those putting pressure on Biden to bring Griner home couldn't care less about bringing Whelen home.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:10 pm

That’s not true. I want him home. But we also need to consider how debilitated he may be. Secondly, Russia is unlikely to give up someone who spied on them.

Side note: Putin was hospitalized Friday for extreme pain often related to colon cancer. As I heard he was going in for surgery. Time for a surgeon to step up and do the right thing, if you know what I mean. The world would be better off without Vlad.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:26 pm

Smart money says the CIA will try to kill Bout later.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:22 pm

I agree with Graham on this topic.

Nationally, the detention of Whelan has received only a small fraction of the amount of attention the incarceration of Grinder has received. That isn't right, in my opinion. He's been incarcerated significantly longer, too.

The fact the White House didn't at least make a two for one deal is inexcusable.

I also agree with Circle Seven about the dangerous precedent this move creates.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:22 pm

The fact the White House didn't at least make a two for one deal is inexcusable.

You can make that kind of a deal only if the other party is willing to make that deal. The Russians were not prepared to agree to that.

It's like when we go into collective bargaining looking for a $2/ hr increase and we end up accepting eighty-seven cents.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:38 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:44 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

You can make that kind of a deal only if the other party is willing to make that deal. The Russians were not prepared to agree to that.

It's like when we go into collective bargaining looking for a $2/ hr increase and we end up accepting eighty-seven cents.
If Whelan for Bout was available to Trump, it was available to Biden. I'm ok with Trump turning that down. Biden got played.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:23 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:38 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

If Whelan for Bout was available to Trump, it was available to Biden. I'm ok with Trump turning that down. Biden got played.
They had Griner… a more valuable prize than Whelan.. far more valuable for them as a bargaining chip. What they were going for was both Whelan and Griner for Bout… Putin didn’t bite. Putin can save face a bit on imprisoning somebody famous… nobody cares about poor Whelan apparently…

As for your assertion that the previous deal was available again… that’s speculation at best but with a more valuable person being held I doubt he’d have the same offer on the table.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:31 am

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:40 am

For our side, we get back somebody with good PR value. For their side, they get back someone who has intelligence information on what is going on in the arms trade. He will be active again.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:55 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:23 am
Matt wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:38 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

They had Griner… a more valuable prize than Whelan.. far more valuable for them as a bargaining chip. What they were going for was both Whelan and Griner for Bout… Putin didn’t bite. Putin can save face a bit on imprisoning somebody famous… nobody cares about poor Whelan apparently…

As for your assertion that the previous deal was available again… that’s speculation at best but with a more valuable person being held I doubt he’d have the same offer on the table.
You are insane if you think Griner is more valuable than Whelan.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:48 am

The best line I've heard on the Griner situation was from Ben Shapiro...

"This is the very first time anyone has ever cared about a WNBA player getting traded."

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic