Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hypocrisy Today

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Hypocrisy Today

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:02 am

When your organization is supported by insurrectionists and bombers, you will have to atone for your actions sometimes...
A restaurant in Richmond last week canceled a reservation for a private event being held by a conservative Christian organization, citing the group’s opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

“We have always refused service to anyone for making our staff uncomfortable or unsafe and this was the driving force behind our decision,” read an Instagram post from Metzger Bar and Butchery, a German-influenced restaurant in the Union Hill neighborhood whose kitchen is helmed by co-owner Brittanny Anderson, a veteran of TV cooking shows including “Top Chef” and “Chopped.” “Many of our staff are women and/or members of the LGBTQ+ community. All of our staff are people with rights who deserve dignity and a safe work environment. We respect our staff’s established rights as humans and strive to create a work environment where they can do their jobs with dignity, comfort and safety.”

The group, the Family Foundation, was set to host a dessert reception for supporters on Nov. 30, the group’s president, Victoria Cobb, wrote in a blog post describing the incident. About an hour and a half before it was slated to start, one of the restaurant’s owners called to cancel it, she wrote. “As our VP of Operations explained that guests were arriving at their restaurant shortly, she asked for an explanation,” Cobb wrote. “Sure enough, an employee looked up our organization, and their wait staff refused to serve us.”
And of course, while supporting the right to deny service to gays, the Family Foundation is crying foul. This happens quite often to deplorables in DC, but usually restaurants are more discreet to avoid the crazy brigade like what happened to a restauranteur who wouldn't serve Sarah Sanders...
Her phone lines were hacked, she and her staff had private information about them posted online, and many of them received death threats. People took to Yelp, leaving fake negative reviews, and made reservations they had no intention of keeping.
And the money quote for the day...
And in its blog post describing the incident, the Family Foundation sought donations, too. “Will you consider a donation today to support our efforts to ensure that no Virginian will ever have to worry about being refused a simple meal because of his or her religious beliefs?” the post read.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Re: Hypocrisy Today

Post by bmw » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:13 am

Yeah, there's hypocrisy here alright. You oppose denying service to people based on their sexual orientation, but are perfectly ok with denying it to people based on their religious views. Isn't religion covered by the 1964 Civil Rights Act?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:13 am
Yeah, there's hypocrisy here alright. You oppose denying service to people based on their sexual orientation, but are perfectly ok with denying it to people based on their religious views. Isn't religion covered by the 1964 Civil Rights Act?
If you read, it was an issue of safety not belief system. Anybody affiliated with these radical anti-abortion groups opens the door to violence, particularly against lgbtq. The courts of upheld denying service for people wearing maga hats too. Supporting violent groups such as the anti-abortion types who are known to kill and bomb people is a far stretch from denying over religion.

It certainly didn't stop them from a fundraising opportunity because at the end of the day groups like this only care about cash and religion just happens to be a belief they're exploiting.

And even if it was religion, this group is the same group that is supporting the Supreme Court case that involves dening service to someone because of their sexual orientation. What a bunch of hypocrites wouldn't you think? This restaurant should be able to deny service to anyone except for their race according to the situation that the Family Farce is helping get to the Supreme Court.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:09 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:13 am
I can only speak for me, but I am NOT okay with either. But you can't have it both ways. And then again, as a private business, doesn't a restaurant have the right to deny service to ANYONE at ANY TIME without a reason? Lots of interesting legal, ethical and moral questions here.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:43 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:09 am
I can only speak for me, but I am NOT okay with either. But you can't have it both ways. And then again, as a private business, doesn't a restaurant have the right to deny service to ANYONE at ANY TIME without a reason? Lots of interesting legal, ethical and moral questions here.
You bring up a good point that hadn't crossed my mind. Many places won't allow customers to open carry. No law against it. Any business can still say no entry without a face mask, even though mandates are a thing of the past.

Myself, I don't see taking the moral high road when refusing service. Why create what you should realize is going to result in bad publicity?
If a baker don't want to make the cake, simply say "Sorry I'm slammed with orders. Can't do it for you. Try down the road". You get the idea.
You gotta sorta wonder about the business sense of those that don't think to do what I just said.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:01 pm

To clarify, I'm ok with either type of denial of service being legal. Would it be a good idea for a business to discriminate in either way? In most instances, no. And the private sector will quickly take care of such problems. I don't think we need government forcing business to serve certain people.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:57 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:01 pm
To clarify, I'm ok with either type of denial of service being legal. Would it be a good idea for a business to discriminate in either way? In most instances, no. And the private sector will quickly take care of such problems. I don't think we need government forcing business to serve certain people.
Slippery slope... "We can't serve black people here, we don't understand their needs." "Sorry, we can't serve people from Ohio here, they cheer for the wrong team."

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:19 pm

If it were legal to deny service on the basis of race and a restaurant actually denied service to a black person because he/she was black, do you want to take a guess what the public reaction would be? Retribution would be quick and there's a good chance the restaurant building would be burned to the ground by the next morning.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:35 pm

Being a conservative prick is a choice. Being black is not. I am betting this restaurant will get more business with decent emotionally intelligent clients. There is no downside to telling jerks to go away.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic