Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What could do it?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mega Hertz

What could do it?

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:19 pm

I've been pondering this question for a few years. I thought the virus could do it, but that didn't work. I wonder what something is that we could all agree on and get behind. Politics is such rat fucking and "my guy's right and your guy's wrong" that I wonder what is one thing that 90-95% of the voting bloc could get behind and support.

And it can't be that Andy Dick is terrible. We all know that.

I mean some kind of policy or event.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Honeyman

Re: What could do it?

Post by Honeyman » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 pm

Great question.

9-11 did it, but I think if something similar happened today, the reaction would not be the same at all. No way this country all comes together. Half the people would be blaming Biden, many would he promoting ridiculous theories.

Sadly, I believe we are beyond the point of uniting as a nation. Those are days are done.

The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:07 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 pm
Great question.

9-11 did it, but I think if something similar happened today, the reaction would not be the same at all. No way this country all comes together. Half the people would be blaming Biden, many would he promoting ridiculous theories.

Sadly, I believe we are beyond the point of uniting as a nation. Those are days are done.
It would take a true national disaster.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:08 pm

Not the answer I wanted but the one I expected. It's frustrating. And a damn shame. I was hoping things were gonna turn around but, yeah, I'm not seeing it either.

-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:09 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:08 pm
Not the answer I wanted but the one I expected. It's frustrating. And a damn shame. I was hoping things were gonna turn around but, yeah, I'm not seeing it either.
Recall that before the civil war it got like this and eventually they came together again. Keep the faith. It’ll be different around 2040 or 2045.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:54 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:07 pm

What about a national trimph? A successful space mission. A cure for cancer.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:13 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:54 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:07 pm

What about a national trimph? A successful space mission. A cure for cancer.
One sides triumph is another sides call to arms… so I figure it has to be something that will shock enough people out of their shells…

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:23 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:19 pm
I've been pondering this question for a few years. I thought the virus could do it, but that didn't work. I wonder what something is that we could all agree on and get behind. Politics is such rat fucking and "my guy's right and your guy's wrong" that I wonder what is one thing that 90-95% of the voting bloc could get behind and support.

This will happen about the same time as fans of that team 190 miles south and U of M fans walk arm and arm, buy each other beer and sing kumbayah around a campfire.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:35 am

I think that 90-95% of people would be happy to get behind Paige Spiranac. I know I would.

I don't want everyone to disagree because at the end of the day I know well enough that my own thoughts are too biased and that I don't have the wisdom that people I disagree with hold all of the time. For policy, this is great because even if we have a noble goal like ending cancer, and even a method to do it, difference of opinion can keep us all in check. We would probably accept a greater cost or sacrifice of values if everyone agreed.

I mean, look at OP's example of 9/11. Yes, it brought everyone together, but look at the chaos that came from it. Setting aside that Afghanistan could have likely been avoided, Iraq should have never happened. I can think of more instances in history, at least from the 19th century on, where ultra-galvanized populations were more trouble than good.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:46 am

An alien attack….that’s about it. We would have no choice but to band together.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:53 am

Nothing. The movie "Don't Look Up" might as well be a documentary...

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:18 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:53 am
Nothing. The movie "Don't Look Up" might as well be a documentary...
Jesus H. Christ. I said the exact same thing when I watched it. It's always the same cycle whenever something goes down!

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:18 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:23 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

This will happen about the same time as fans of that team 190 miles south and U of M fans walk arm and arm, buy each other beer and sing kumbayah around a campfire.
Well THAT attitude isn't going to help, mister!

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:19 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:23 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

PS - I still have that David Newman disc in my car. Every time I go to the Brighton post office 400 people are in line!

-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:42 am

Why do we need to get along? Fighting is good for the economy. Some people can't have joy when others aren't suffering.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic