Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Let's talk about the merits of the NY case against Trump

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Let's talk about the merits of the NY case against Trump

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:16 am

I've been reading a lot of different articles summarizing what the prosecution is arguing and speculation on what they intend to argue, and the crux of their case appears to be that Trump directed Cohen to pay $130,000 to Daniels, in exchange for which she would enter into a non-disclosure agreement over an alleged affair. That amounted to a "loan" to Trump, subject to campaign finance disclosures, because the purpose of the money was benefit Trump's campaign. Trump failed to disclose it, and as such, he violated campaign finance disclosure laws. He then went on to further cover it up by improperly categorizing those loan re-payments in his books as "legal fees."

Am I understanding correctly what the case is about?

I have further comment, but I'm curious if people agree that this is legal basis for the case against Trump. As an aside, it sounds to me that while they're not coming right out and saying it, the prosecution is suggesting that Trump stole the 2016 election through fraud - an insinuation that I find fascinating for all kinds of reasons.

Rate This

Re: Let's talk about the merits of the NY case against Trump

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:16 am
I've been reading a lot of different articles summarizing what the prosecution is arguing and speculation on what they intend to argue, and the crux of their case appears to be that Trump directed Cohen to pay $130,000 to Daniels, in exchange for which she would enter into a non-disclosure agreement over an alleged affair. That amounted to a "loan" to Trump, subject to campaign finance disclosures, because the purpose of the money was benefit Trump's campaign. Trump failed to disclose it, and as such, he violated campaign finance disclosure laws. He then went on to further cover it up by improperly categorizing those loan re-payments in his books as "legal fees."

Am I understanding correctly what the case is about?

I have further comment, but I'm curious if people agree that this is legal basis for the case against Trump. As an aside, it sounds to me that while they're not coming right out and saying it, the prosecution is suggesting that Trump stole the 2016 election through fraud - an insinuation that I find fascinating for all kinds of reasons.
The technical term for the accurate description of the nuts and bolts of the case above is… wait for it…. FRAUD. Nobody is suggesting he stole it the same way he tried to steal 2020. But he did have Pecker kill negative stories about him and tried to hide this Stormy Daniels bit from the public and the Feds. So influence the outcome by keeping people in the dark to benefit himself politically seems about right. Had it broken in a natural way and not been killed before that could happen he may very well have been in trouble in the election. Trump may have been completely right about that fear.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 am

The whole thing is a bit confusing to me.
The actual payments of hush money are not illegal.
The way he hid it to avoid bad publicity before the election may or may not have been a crime.
But when election season gets going we can all see bold faced lies day after day in the form of TV ads designed to manipulate voters. That seems to be perfectly legal.
I don't see a big difference. In both cases politicians lie and ignore facts to get elected.
I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 am

I was going to say - RT's definition of election interference and fraud is WAY too overbroad. Otherwise, people like Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey would be sitting in prison for their role in colluding with the Biden administration to outright censor (ie, Hunter Biden laptop, Covid 19 origins) or at least cover in a certain way various stories about Biden.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:46 am

As such, the only thing I see at issue in the Trump case is specifically the $130,000 payment by Cohen to Daniels and whether that payment falls under campaign finance disclosure laws - which, it is hard to know which specific laws are in question since Bragg refused to even put in the indictment the secondary crime Trump is accused of actually having committed.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:00 am

You are correct, paying Stormy to keep her mouth shut, after the sex haha, is shady but legal. Saying it was a loan and or legal fees is not legal. The catch and kill any stories on it to keep them from the public is also a form of fraud as is the lying about the hush money. As for commercials, does Tide get your whites whiter, are Busch's Baked Beans really better than any other brand on the market? Is quality job one at Ford? You get the drift right?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 am
I was going to say - RT's definition of election interference and fraud is WAY too overbroad. Otherwise, people like Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey would be sitting in prison for their role in colluding with the Biden administration to outright censor (ie, Hunter Biden laptop, Covid 19 origins) or at least cover in a certain way various stories about Biden.
I didn’t say anybody was going to prison over it. I gave you a way in which the election would be altered by the lack of information.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 am

Basically, you can't expense your hookers. The court needs to decide how big an issue that is, but often, the outcome of the trial isn't the most damaging part of going to court.
"Donald Trump is actually farting in the courtroom and that it's very stinky around him," MeidasTouch co-founder Ben Meiseles reported Friday. "It's a putrid odor in the courtroom and Trump's lawyers are repulsed by the scent and the smell."
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 am

But can you get miles on your Mastercard?

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:20 am

If Trump were smart, he would get a good attorney to sit down and work out a plea bargain acceptable to both sides so he can get back to full time lying, I mean, campaigning. I also don't think when push comes to shove he will testify because he would not do well under cross.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:20 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 am
But can you get miles on your Mastercard?
Absolutely, I recommend it.
zzand wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:20 am
If Trump were smart, he would get a good attorney to sit down and work out a plea bargain acceptable to both sides so he can get back to full time lying, I mean, campaigning. I also don't think when push comes to shove he will testify because he would not do well under cross.
I do think the merits of fighting this have run their course.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am

Now when this comes on, I change the station. This Democrat tool has ruined a perfectly good song.

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... JtnC4,st:0
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am
Now when this comes on, I change the station. This Democrat tool has ruined a perfectly good song.

You seem to be lost, better head back to your "special" threads.

― Noam Chomsky

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am

That comes on a lot on the stations you listen to?
The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:32 pm

Is quality job one at Ford?
I love it! Thanks for the chuckle.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic