Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Registering Under a Party Affiliation?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Taco

Registering Under a Party Affiliation?

Post by Taco » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:34 am

I was curious, for those of you who are registered voters, did you register under a party affiliation? Other than for the Primaries, are their any advantages of doing so?

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Rate This

Re: Registering Under a Party Affiliation?

Post by Rate This » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:43 am

Taco wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:34 am
I was curious, for those of you who are registered voters, did you register under a party affiliation? Other than for the Primaries, are their any advantages of doing so?
Michigan does not register by party. So the primaries are open.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:07 am

I you want more junk mail...

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:40 am

I want to register as an 'Independent'. Can I do so?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:20 am

By default, anyone not registered as a Democrat, Republican, or third party(ie Libertarian) is listed as "no party affiliation".

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:01 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:20 am
By default, anyone not registered as a Democrat, Republican, or third party(ie Libertarian) is listed as "no party affiliation".
We don’t register by party in Michigan.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:26 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:01 am
You don't have to do so, but you can register as a Democrat or Republican for a fee. I get bothered by both parties.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:56 am

Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:26 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:01 am
You don't have to do so, but you can register as a Democrat or Republican for a fee. I get bothered by both parties.
You can join either party as a member. But some states put a box on the voter registration form you fill out to get registered to vote. Those are two different things. There is no fee to register in a state with closed primaries. But you have to be registered under that party to vote in that party’s primary.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:17 am

You don't have to pay to be a member of either party in Michigan. If you do "pay", it's actually a donation.

Here's the form for the MDP: https://act.michigandems.com/a/member-free
Here's the form for the MRP: https://migop.org/get-involved/

They phrase things differently - but essentially they operate in the same manner. In order to be successful they need people that want to contribute in some way, but mostly with your money and time.

In states like Michigan with open primaries, as RT correctly points out, you can change your mind about "being" a democrat or republican or at every primary - even if you consider yourself an independent.

In Michigan you can be a "member" of any number of parties that you want. If you were so inclined, and really wanted to feel like you're part of something, you could write checks today to as many political parties as you want and be a "member" of them all simultaneously.

The only thing you can't do is send money to the non-existent independent party. But if you still want to, my Venmo is @mibuzzboard-robert-faygo. I'll even mail you a membership certificate. :blink

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic