Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Big Business Fucks Over Poor America Again

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Big Business Fucks Over Poor America Again

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:44 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:35 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:11 pm
bunch of conservative victims?

Thank you for affirming that Biden didn't cause inflation, it was pricing gouging business owners.
You claim to be an expert in the restaurant industry. Are sky-high dining prices a result of price gouging by restaurant chain owners? Or are you just selective in which industries are engaged in this alleged gouging?
I understand that industry. Prices have risen 8% in the past 12 months. That is modest given wage and food costs... That is a reasonable increase.

Groceries 13.5%
Used Autos 13%

Building materials?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:51 pm

I have no idea where those numbers came from, but I can tell you that at my local Mancino's, prices are up way more than that. $6.99 subs are now $11.99, $16.99 pizzas are now like $23.99.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:53 pm

I think the ultimate corporate American dream is to have us all living in sleeping pods in a building on each job site. Think I am joking? It already happens in China and other Asian countries.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:51 pm
I have no idea where those numbers came from, but I can tell you that at my local Mancino's, prices are up way more than that. $6.99 subs are now $11.99, $16.99 pizzas are now like $23.99.
This is the national restaurant association data, very legitimate stuff.

Mancino's isn't even a franchise, there's no price control from some corporation to the local owner.

I thought you were a capitalist into free market. Here's my solution for you, don't go there.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:43 pm
This is the national restaurant association data, very legitimate stuff.

Mancino's isn't even a franchise, there's no price control from some corporation to the local owner.

I thought you were a capitalist into free market. Here's my solution for you, don't go there.
This is the response I was waiting for that proves to me that you're just a hack. Back in 2021, you were on this forum literally rooting for the small mom-and-pop restaurants to permanently close and ultimately be replaced by chain restaurants. Now you're in here again defending the "corporation" over smaller restaurants.

This makes you a hypocrite. You hate "Big Business" but only selectively.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:23 pm

I'm not rooting for anyone. I addressed a question about pricing in the food industry.

There are plenty of poorly operating small businesses. I am betting the owner of that pizza joint doesn't have any education in culinary arts. Not all businesses survive, however, generally I'd recommend that you be more agressive with pricing than too low. Cheapskates are lousy customers, and I'm a fan of making them someone else's problem.

I'm a H*** fan of independent restaurants. But almost all of them have a business plan and understand the industry. Doubt I've been in a chain restaurant in the last 6 months.

I would suggest that a mancino's restaurant owner is absentee based somewhere a bit more livable. EDIT: they are a corporate store.

Go find a decent local pizza place and support them.

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:43 am

I was referring specifically to something you said back in 2021:
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:45 pm
I honestly get tired of business owners whining. Some people just weren't cut out for that type of work and should go get a job somewhere else. I've told customers to their face that very thing and it's just kind of a reality of business ownership.

Restaurants are going to close and a franchise who knows how to operate a delivery and carry out business will replace that restaurant.

There are businesses that simply require people congregating in large groups in order to operate. Current owners may go away but I guarantee you demand will be considerable once the risk goes down. A new operator will come about and start that business right back up.
This was in the context of restaurants failing during the time in 2020-2021 when they were forced by government mandate to discontinue indoor dining. It sounded to me like you had no problem whatsoever with those restaurants going out of business (you blamed the cause on their owners' inability to run a restaurant rather than the fact that they literally had to shut down an important component of their business model) and being replaced by "franchise" restaurants who could survive on delivery and carry out only.

Original thread here:

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 39&t=52906

And while I can't locate it, I'm fairly sure you made similar comments in response to news that upwards of 80 restaurants in New York City had to permanently close as a result of their shutdowns.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:47 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:43 am
I was referring specifically to something you said back in 2021:
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:45 pm
I honestly get tired of business owners whining. Some people just weren't cut out for that type of work and should go get a job somewhere else. I've told customers to their face that very thing and it's just kind of a reality of business ownership.

Restaurants are going to close and a franchise who knows how to operate a delivery and carry out business will replace that restaurant.

There are businesses that simply require people congregating in large groups in order to operate. Current owners may go away but I guarantee you demand will be considerable once the risk goes down. A new operator will come about and start that business right back up.
This was in the context of restaurants failing during the time in 2020-2021 when they were forced by government mandate to discontinue indoor dining. It sounded to me like you had no problem whatsoever with those restaurants going out of business (you blamed the cause on their owners' inability to run a restaurant rather than the fact that they literally had to shut down an important component of their business model) and being replaced by "franchise" restaurants who could survive on delivery and carry out only.

Original thread here:

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 39&t=52906
It looks more like an analysis of the business cycle to me… the model of which is literally “easy come easy go” in retail and restaurants…

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:08 pm

I don't know where you're going BMW, but I still think the state closing because people could catch a virus and die was a very worthy public mandate.

I have no friends suffering from long-term effects of covid. Every friend I have was vaccinated as soon as they could get it. My friends in the medical industry tell me those who are suffering from long-term impacts are the vax denier types, and they still won't admit they got covid.

As for restaurants, I think a lot of small business owners jump in with both feet and no business plan. That gives them about a 10% chance of success. I'm a fan but not for people who half ass things. The restaurant business is perhaps one of the most complex small businesses you can own. It has a higher failure rate than other businesses.

Sometimes realities are realities and my advocacy has little to do with those who go in blindly and refuse to educate themselves.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:18 pm

I read somewhere recently that there's been an uptick of former anti-vaxxers getting vaccinated in Michigan. It's not too late...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:08 pm
I don't know where you're going BMW, but I still think the state closing because people could catch a virus and die was a very worthy public mandate.

I have no friends suffering from long-term effects of covid. Every friend I have was vaccinated as soon as they could get it. My friends in the medical industry tell me those who are suffering from long-term impacts are the vax denier types, and they still won't admit they got covid.

As for restaurants, I think a lot of small business owners jump in with both feet and no business plan. That gives them about a 10% chance of success. I'm a fan but not for people who half ass things. The restaurant business is perhaps one of the most complex small businesses you can own. It has a higher failure rate than other businesses.

Sometimes realities are realities and my advocacy has little to do with those who go in blindly and refuse to educate themselves.
I have a friend who was paralyzed from COVID(not the vaccine). I have others still dealing with brain fog and new mental health conditions. The mandate was the responsible thing to do.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:51 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:18 pm
I read somewhere recently that there's been an uptick of former anti-vaxxers getting vaccinated in Michigan. It's not too late...
They don't have any excuses now that Novavax(non MRNA vaccine) is on the market.

I will say that it was alarming to me that the CDC admitted that myocarditis/pericarditis is a side effect of the vaccine for 20-45 year olds after saying that wasn't true. The anti vaxxers were right about that one. We really do need the medical community to investigate what the precursors are for this type of reaction so that anyone prone to it can avoid it. I do notice it is mainly Moderna where this seems to happen and not Pfizer(what I got) but still.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic