Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most Democrat leaders support abortion until birth

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Most Democrat leaders support abortion until birth

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:01 am

This deserves its own thread. I am challenging RT's assertion that the Democrat party does not believe in the abortion of a viable fetus. Specifically, he said "No it doesn’t believe in that. If by viable you mean can survive outside the mother then no they do not. Most certainly not up to birth for god sakes."

Let's start with the President. Joe Biden will not go on record, even when his press secretary Psaki was pressed on the specific issue of abortion up until birth.

Berine Sanders? He believes that it should be very rare, but that, “The decision over abortion belongs to a woman and her physician, not the federal government, not the state government and not the local government.”

Pete Buttigieg? "that decision is not going to be made any better medically or morally because the government is dictating how that decision should be made.”

Beto O'Rourke? "politicians have no place in these decisions, including these very rare instances."

Other prominent democrats? Who knows. Because they wouldn't answer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -abortion/

Amy Klobuchar does support limits on 3rd trimester abortions. She appears to be the exception.

So let's be honest here. At the moment, the Democrat party's position on abortion is that there should be no legal restrictions on it, right up until birth. That's where the party is at, and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

TC Talks

Re: Most Democrat leaders support abortion until birth

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:16 pm

About six-in-ten Americans say abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... t-cases-2/
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:40 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:16 pm
About six-in-ten Americans say abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... t-cases-2/
In the late 1820's just about every Democrat thought people should be able to own slaves. What's your point?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:05 pm

TCT - Your conclusion as to the data presented by Pew Research doesn't address my contention. And you're combining "all" and "most." Even in the pro-choice crowd, a majority (36/61, or 59%) does believe in some restrictions.

If you dig through the data linked to that Pew Research article, you'll find that:

-Only 19% of Americans believe in no restrictions whatsoever
-Only 8% of Americans believe abortion should be illegal in all circumstances

...and most importantly as it pertains to what I'm talking about - a majority - 56% - believe that abortion should be legal early in the pregnancy but at some point become illegal. Add that to the 8% who believe it should be illegal all the time, and you end up with 64% of the population believing that abortion should be illegal just prior to birth.

So if you're suggesting that the Democrat party's absolutist position on abortion is mainstream, I'd suggest that the very data you've linked me to proves your suggestion to be factually incorrect as only 19% of the population shares the view of most Democrat party leaders.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:10 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:40 pm
In the late 1820's just about every Democrat thought people should be able to own slaves. What's your point?
An analogy would be "Property rights" are to the 1820s as "Healthcare rights" are to the 2020s. As I've noted before in here, I have high hopes that at some point in the future, people will look back on society's view today on "healthcare rights" as it pertains to abortion the same way we as a society look back at "property rights" as it pertained to slave ownership. I believe the moral equivalency here is the same.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:25 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Bryce wrote:
An analogy would be "Property rights" are to the 1820s as "Healthcare rights" are to the 2020s. As I've noted before in here, I have high hopes that at some point in the future, people will look back on society's view today on "healthcare rights" as it pertains to abortion the same way we as a society look back at "property rights" as it pertained to slave ownership. I believe the moral equivalency here is the same.
But nobody is owning anybody else. The property is one’s own body. Your comparison fell apart before it came together.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:30 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:25 pm
bmw wrote:
Bryce wrote:
But nobody is owning anybody else. The property is one’s own body. Your comparison fell apart before it came together.
I said the analogy is one of moral equivalency. Meaning, people in the 1820s viewed black people as personal property as opposed to human lives the same way many today view unborn babies as personal property as opposed to human lives.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:21 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:30 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:
Bryce wrote:
I said the analogy is one of moral equivalency. Meaning, people in the 1820s viewed black people as personal property as opposed to human lives the same way many today view unborn babies as personal property as opposed to human lives.
Spot on! Except most of the people that thought that way were hard core Democrats. They have no more morals on the abortion issues today than they did on slavery in 1828.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:21 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:30 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Spot on! Except most of the people that thought that way were hard core Democrats. They have no more morals on the abortion issues today than they did on slavery in 1828.
Libertarians want all kinds of unfettered access to drugs and a lot of other things society has deemed bad… do they have no morals?

I would give you the Republicans position in 1828 but they didn’t exist yet. But a reminder to the brick wall… the Democrats of 1828 are not the same as those in 2022. Nor are the Republicans of the civil war the same party as those in 2022. Everything switched starting in the 60’s and culminating with Regan. Too bad.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:08 pm

I'm talking specifically about public opinion. Today, the vast, vast majority of people in society view black people as human beings. That wasn't the case in the 1820s. Today, the underlying theme of a pro-choice stance is "my body, my choice." But the very crux of that stance requires either pretending that there's no other life involved, or if you acknowledge that there is one, that it either isn't human, or that the mother's wishes supersede the unborn's rights.

Libertarians only support "other things society has deemed bad" being legal when those other things don't impose on the rights of others. If what you're doing infringes on someone else's rights, a Libertarian would argue that this is when the government can step in. So in the case of abortion, it is a simple question of precisely at what point during pregnancy does an unborn child obtain rights? And when there's competing rights (ie, the mother vs. the baby), then a balancing test is required.

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:07 pm

|I |I |I

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:54 am

Most Democratic voters would not support an amendment of abortion up to natural birth. Haven't met a one.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:07 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:54 am
Most Democratic voters would not support an amendment of abortion up to natural birth. Haven't met a one.
Nor does the subject dominate party meetings and get subjected to hours of planning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic