Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DeathSantis: Let’s Militarize the Classroom

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

DeathSantis: Let’s Militarize the Classroom

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:54 am

Folks, this is how the Hitler Youth started.

https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reido ... NfHfimp-ZE

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Re: DeathSantis: Let’s Militarize the Classroom

Post by km1125 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:12 am

I'm still struggling to understand why this is a state or federal problem. Why aren't the local school boards responsible for having enough teachers to teach the kids they're responsible for??

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:05 am

A couple of takes from the article:

1. I don't think the teachers need guns in the classrooms. But I don't have a problem with support staff carrying conceal.
Joe the janitor, the assistant principal, a few AK's behind the desk in the office, you get the idea.

2. I can't grasp why it can't be made impossible to bring a weapon into the building.
Let's be honest, what's the root cause of the latest shootings? Human error. The door propped open. Ethan not being sent home when EVERY other school district would of never let him stay.

3. km1125's comment is complicated. Do state and federal mandates hamper local school district hirings?
Should there be levels of qualifications to teach, depending on the topic being taught?
If you're teaching physics or calculus, you gotta know what you're talking about.
If you're teaching history, showing how George crossed the Delaware don't require a masters.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:05 am
A couple of takes from the article:

1. I don't think the teachers need guns in the classrooms. But I don't have a problem with support staff carrying conceal.
Joe the janitor, the assistant principal, a few AK's behind the desk in the office, you get the idea.
Why support staff and not teachers? If a teacher WANTS to carry, I don’t have a problem with that. The gun-free zone signs in front of schools don’t seem to be working.

As to MCRF’s post, it’s not like they’re allowing veterans to just come back from deployment and teach. They must pass a subject matter exam (demonstrating they have some idea of what they’re talking about), possess at least 60 college credits (at least there’s some commitment to finish the degree before the deadline) and must finish their Bachelors degree in five years. They may not know best practices in the classroom yet, but they’re also being paired with mentors (who are getting bonuses for mentoring). If there’s a teacher shortage, I have no problem with vets filling the gaps.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:07 pm

...what makes the plan especially grim is that DeSantis likely sees the policy as part of his effort to inject nationalistic propaganda into Florida’s schools.
As opposed to what is happening now in many classrooms across the country - injecting woke anti-Americanism into the classroom.

Perhaps a little balance in this regard is actually a good thing.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:43 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:59 am
Why support staff and not teachers? If a teacher WANTS to carry, I don’t have a problem with that. The gun-free zone signs in front of schools don’t seem to be working.
[/quote]

Here's why I don't think there should be a gun in the classroom. Other students getting to it.

Would it be fair to say there is more than a classroom or two that's comprised of students that are less than highly motivated. Taking up space. A nice way to put it.

What's the chances a few of the mutants in the class get a notion to take that gun? These are street kids. I'm thinking hand to hand they are going to be stronger than the teacher. Is the teacher going to shoot one or more unarmed students because they are trying to wrestle her gun away?

I agree with you Gun Free Zone talk not working. But going back to why in the last few school shootings. You can lock every door in the school. But it don't do any good if someone props one open to have a smoke. Can we agree that the root cause of the last few school shootings have been established protocols being circumvented? All the "NO GUNS ALLOWED" signs in the world isn't going to prevent a shooting in that sort of situation.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:11 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:07 pm
...what makes the plan especially grim is that DeSantis likely sees the policy as part of his effort to inject nationalistic propaganda into Florida’s schools.
As opposed to what is happening now in many classrooms across the country - injecting woke anti-Americanism into the classroom.

Do you seriously believe the kiddos are glued to their sets by anything said in a classroom? Have you met any Americans lately?

Not being rah-rah salute till you drop isn’t anti-American. Neither is attempting to tell more truth than a 1950’s style lesson plan would have you believe.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:48 pm

DeSatan is using this as a test run for the rest of America. He must be stopped. Tell your Florida friends to vote him out and stop this crazy experiment!
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:22 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:11 pm
bmw wrote:

Do you seriously believe the kiddos are glued to their sets by anything said in a classroom? Have you met any Americans lately?

Not being rah-rah salute till you drop isn’t anti-American. Neither is attempting to tell more truth than a 1950’s style lesson plan would have you believe.
The average classroom has gone woke, and I'm not comparing to 1950s. We're talking compared to even just 10 years ago.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:40 pm

Honorably discharged vets would generally have passed many security metrics, such as background checks, so this makes sense to expedite them for teachers, if they can demonstrate aptitude, as Chrocket87 has mentioned.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:22 am
Rate This wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:11 pm
bmw wrote:

The average classroom has gone woke, and I'm not comparing to 1950s. We're talking compared to even just 10 years ago.
How many average classrooms have you been in for hours on end paying close attention lately? Don’t tell me you multitasked and installed a computer or something either.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:21 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:40 pm
Honorably discharged vets would generally have passed many security metrics, such as background checks, so this makes sense to expedite them for teachers, if they can demonstrate aptitude, as Chrocket87 has mentioned.
I got to thinking about this. How much education do most teachers really need? Like I said in a previous reply to this thread, does every teacher need a bachelor or masters degree in the subject they are teaching? Is having the knack to each others more important than having a diploma from a prestigious university?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:41 am

They really don't, as long as they have good results.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic