Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

We are in a recession

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

We are in a recession

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:38 pm

Two consecutive quarters of declining GDP = recession. I'm surprised no one has commented on this...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: We are in a recession

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:18 pm

2% unemployment does not indicate recession.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:57 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:18 pm
2% unemployment does not indicate recession.
Unemployment only includes people looking for work that can't find it. In the current environment, it's not a useful statistic.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:32 am

I've been stating this for some months now, that we were creeping our way into one. With gasoline prices and an inflated home market, the proverbial storm elements are all in place for a market correction. Many economists predicted back in 2017, that President Trump's tax break could result in inflation, which indeed that's come to pass.

Not to mention, The US government keeps piling on more debt, which I believe is beyond ever paying back. Suffice to say, I do believe we could be heading into a lean couple of years.

My goodness, I logged into my 401k account yesterday and I staggered back a bit, it's taken quite a wallop as of late, in terms of losing money.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 am

The decline in GDP is mostly a function of supply chain inefficiencies and to a lesser extent, insufficient pool of labor.

The Fed's aggressive interest rate hikes worry me in that it could cause a prolongment of the supply chain issues that currently exist. It becomes more difficult to "in source" production by building new plants domestically when the cost of financial capital increases. The rate increases could also cause a rise in commercial loan defaults or could cause (and probably will cause) some companies to downsize workforces or postpone capital investment in view of rising debt service costs.

The fact the politicians in Washington are not taking action to expand LEGAL immigration to fill the myriad job vacancies that exist troubles me.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

kager

Post by kager » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:39 am

A recession? Seriously?

The present administration's hood ornament saying, "doesn't sound like a recession to me" is good enough for me. :razz

Perhaps it's one of the reasons why there are talks of OBiden having dem challengers in the 2024 primary should he 'decide' to run again.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:07 am

I certainly agree that there are (rightfully) concerns with the Democratic Party ranks regarding Biden's handling of the economy, and perhaps even more so, his messaging regarding the topic.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:13 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:07 am
I certainly agree that there are (rightfully) concerns with the Democratic Party ranks regarding Biden's handling of the economy, and perhaps even more so, his messaging regarding the topic.
You don't think blaming Putin for EVERYTHING is solid messaging?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Nope. :)

Handing out bundles & bundles of money to people to sit at home and contribute nothing toward the output of products & services for an extended period of time is a significant reason things are as they are. Hardly a U.S. only problem, by the way.

This isn't simple inflation we are facing; it is "stagflation."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:21 pm

I agree MW. I'm concerned the quest to tame inflation will be ineffective without product competition, and without capital to do that we're stuck in stagflation, as I wrote earlier:
audiophile wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:19 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... ar-AAZEnNo

I'm not sure inflation can be tamed, until supply lines are corrected.

It might cause an increase in prices, and smaller companies go under because they cannot borrow inexpensively.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:57 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 am
The decline in GDP is mostly a function of supply chain inefficiencies and to a lesser extent, insufficient pool of labor.

The Fed's aggressive interest rate hikes worry me in that it could cause a prolongment of the supply chain issues that currently exist. It becomes more difficult to "in source" production by building new plants domestically when the cost of financial capital increases. The rate increases could also cause a rise in commercial loan defaults or could cause (and probably will cause) some companies to downsize workforces or postpone capital investment in view of rising debt service costs.

The fact the politicians in Washington are not taking action to expand LEGAL immigration to fill the myriad job vacancies that exist troubles me.
The real question is why the current commander in chief is not using the national guard and other military to relieve that supply chain issue.

All the equipment and man power is there to unload ships at ports and transport.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:45 pm

Michiganviewer wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:57 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 am

The real question is why the current commander in chief is not using the national guard and other military to relieve that supply chain issue.

All the equipment and man power is there to unload ships at ports and transport.
How many of them are trained to operate an 18 wheeler over a long distance?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:11 am

Want to end the "recession" and fill all of these supposed jobs? Pay more. Truckers are getting absolutely hosed, literally. While regular unleaded has decreased around $1 a gallon in most areas, diesel has stayed very high. Let's get a larger tax on big oil and fund the truckers who are getting grossly underpaid and running thin margins for take home pay.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic