Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kennedy vs. Bremerton SD

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

Kennedy vs. Bremerton SD

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:33 pm

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/06/just ... -students/

Here's a SCOTUS decision that I, as a full fledged curmudgeon and 100% progressive, agree with. Game over, nobody forced to participate (kinda like the end of pro games where some players gather on the field) a prayer led by a coach doesn't bother me. Although I am somewhat bothered by the lack of attempt by the coach to negotiate a compromise to avoid problems (possible participants knocking over band members, etc.) This seems to be an overreach by the school in Washington and I'm good with this one.

bmw

Re: Kennedy vs. Bremerton SD

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:41 pm

We're quickly learning which 3 Justices never, ever rule on the side of the Constitution in controversial cases.

As to this case specifically, I remember reading about it in detail a few months back. This coach did what he did for 7 years and it wasn't a problem, until some uptight person reported it to the school board.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:44 pm

We all agree. Excellent.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:25 pm

I hope that you all will have no issue when the call to prayer is made on the Dearborn Fordson campus this fall. Hope you will also have no issue when a teacher prays to Satan in class. This court is out of control.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 pm

This is only for voluntary "after game" activities on personal time.

The court said that "free speech" trumps “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”.

Correct decision because congress wasn't making a law.

Here - expand your mind on this subject:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... secular-o/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:01 pm

What if the call to prayer is made after the game if a Fordson coach invites his imam friend? Is that still okay if they give thanks to the prophet Muhammad after winning?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:31 pm

That's the price for free speech, it goes both ways.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:36 pm

audiophile wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:31 pm
That's the price for free speech, it goes both ways.
So if the subject is a Muslim bowing on the 50 that’s good with you?

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:03 pm

Here's my thought:
Let's say someone is on the field giving praise to Allah for winning the game. Or for no one getting hurt. Is anyone going to call Channel Seven Action News and the ACLU?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:22 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:03 pm
Here's my thought:
Let's say someone is on the field giving praise to Allah for winning the game. Or for no one getting hurt. Is anyone going to call Channel Seven Action News and the ACLU?
There are likely plenty of conservative Christians who would lose their minds over it. Many of them would even claim they are trying to subvert innocent children into following their evil religion despite it being a different flavor of the same basic concept started by the same guy.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:18 pm

The coach is practicing HIS religion, not the school's religion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic