Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just curious if there are still climate change deniers among us

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Honeyman

Just curious if there are still climate change deniers among us

Post by Honeyman » Fri May 20, 2022 8:24 pm

Never really understood why this has become a right/left issue to some people, but it is intriguing. Feel free to post all theories and speculation.

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Re: Just curious if there are still climate change deniers among us

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 20, 2022 10:30 pm

I was never a complete denier but neither was I completely accepting of it. Now I am convinced. At first, I thought it just meant warmer weather to come. What's not to like aboutt that?

But now it also means more extreme and violent weather, more droubt, more flooding and more loss of wildlife habitat.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 20, 2022 11:01 pm

I don't deny that the climate is changing, nor do I deny that man is contributing to it. I do, however, believe that the hype is overblown, and I also don't believe there is much we can do about it.

As to why it is a right vs. left issue, that depends on who we're talking about. If it is the politicians, then it is because leftist politicians can use it as an excuse to expand the nanny state (eg, all the absurd regulations on incandescent light bulbs), and right-leaning politicians view the move towards alternative energy as a threat to who gives them a lot of money and power - the fossil fuel industry.

If it is just regular people we're talking about, I genuinely don't get how people can try to argue that man isn't contributing. The degree to which man is contributing is certainly up for debate, but the greenhouse effect seems like settle science to me. As to leftists, I think that climate change just falls under the broader umbrella of "making the world a better place." Problem is, most of these people don't exactly lead by example. I would wager that Democrats use just as much fossil fuel as Republicans do, per capita.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 21, 2022 1:54 am

Honeyman wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:24 pm
Never really understood why this has become a right/left issue to some people, but it is intriguing. Feel free to post all theories and speculation.
I mean when you go from 57 Wednesday to 89 today and back down to the mid 60s Sunday. You would have to be pretty dense to not accept that climate change exists. We had tornadoes in Minnesota in December 2021.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 21, 2022 4:49 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:54 am
Honeyman wrote:
I mean when you go from 57 Wednesday to 89 today and back down to the mid 60s Sunday. You would have to be pretty dense to not accept that climate change exists. We had tornadoes in Minnesota in December 2021.
While I agree pretty much 100% with bmw above I disagree that every single weather event that seems a bit odd or extreme can be explained by Global warming slash climate change.

I no longer directly engage trolls

kager

Post by kager » Sat May 21, 2022 9:05 am

Tornado in Gaylord yesterday killed 1 and left quite a bit of damage, especially on M-32 west of I-75.

Rare that it happens north of the 45th parallel, and especially in moderately-populated areas. Harbinger of a change in climate? IDK.

Climate has been changing around here as long as I have had the ability to experience and remember it. Humankind may wreck nature, but fails miserably trying to control it.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 21, 2022 10:36 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:49 am
I disagree that every single weather event that seems a bit odd or extreme can be explained by Global warming slash climate change.
This too. The cultist wing of the climate change activists come out of the woodwork every time there's a weather event that is semi-unusual. The amount of climate change over the past 100 years maybe makes some hurricanes have wind speeds 1 MPH higher, or maybe increases the number of tornadoes by single digits over an entire year around the whole world, or maybe shifts things like earliest or latest snowfall in a given city by a day or two. Now there are some regions of the earth whose average temperatures have risen significantly, but as far as major/unusual weather events go, the vast majority would have happened even 100 years ago.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 21, 2022 4:38 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
While I agree pretty much 100% with bmw above I disagree that every single weather event that seems a bit odd or extreme can be explained by Global warming slash climate change.
Minnesota had NEVER had tornadoes past mid November. Wake tf up! This is a climate emergency.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Sat May 21, 2022 4:38 pm
Minnesota had NEVER had tornadoes past mid November. Wake tf up! This is a climate emergency.
Between Covid, climate change, and Roe v. Wade, you're gonna have a nervous breakdown.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 21, 2022 6:42 pm

Sat May 21, 2022 4:38 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
How many years of data exist?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 21, 2022 7:25 pm

kager wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 9:05 am
Tornado in Gaylord yesterday killed 1 and left quite a bit of damage, especially on M-32 west of I-75.

Rare that it happens north of the 45th parallel, and especially in moderately-populated areas. Harbinger of a change in climate? IDK.

Climate has been changing around here as long as I have had the ability to experience and remember it. Humankind may wreck nature, but fails miserably trying to control it.

In Canada we get killer tornados north of the 49th parallel. And that isn't just a recent phenominon It happens all the time.

Hurricanes too. In 1954, Hurricane Hazel killed 81 people in Ontario.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat May 21, 2022 8:10 pm

MCRF must have forgot about the F5 Beecher tornado that hit this time of year 69 years ago.

116 dead, 844 Injured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Flin ... er_tornado

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat May 21, 2022 9:34 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Agreed.

I vividly remember Christmas Eve, 1979, watching the snow come down at our place on Lake Brantley, near Orlando.

Freaky weather isn't anything new. It wasn't then, and it isn't now.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 21, 2022 9:51 pm

Tampa FL, 1977.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Sat May 21, 2022 10:51 pm

Give a listen to to the podcast Unsung Science, episode 'Tornado Alley is Shifting Eastward--and We're Not Ready.
It discusses the influences of temp and drought causing the 'alley to move East into areas that traditionally did not have to deal with them in numbers and how the danger is bigger because of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic