Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just curious if there are still climate change deniers among us

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Just curious if there are still climate change deniers among us

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:45 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:03 am
From the article....

"More coal power was approved in the first three months of 2023 than in the whole of 2021."
And that statistic is way out of context.. it doesn’t specifically state what that actually means… was 2021 a high water mark surpassed by 2023? Was 2005 a high wager mark never to be seen again? Who knows?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:55 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:45 am
km1125 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:03 am
From the article....

"More coal power was approved in the first three months of 2023 than in the whole of 2021."
And that statistic is way out of context..
Context, from the leader in right wing talking points, NPR.
China permitted more coal power plants last year than any time in the last seven years, according to a new report released this week. It's the equivalent of about two new coal power plants per week. The report by energy data organizations Global Energy Monitor and the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air finds the country quadrupled the amount of new coal power approvals in 2022 compared to 2021.

That's despite the fact that much of the world is getting off coal, says Flora Champenois, coal research analyst at Global Energy Monitor and one of the co-authors of the report.

"Everybody else is moving away from coal and China seems to be stepping on the gas," she says. "We saw that China has six times as much plants starting construction as the rest of the world combined."
https://www.npr.org/2023/03/02/11604419 ... report-fin
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:07 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:18 pm
I don't deny that the climate is changing. However, how much of it is caused by humans is still up for debate. I mean seriously, we had an ice age caused by climate change and I don't think there was one freaking coal powered plant in existence at the time ...
When Homo sapiens is ­finally gone, Earth will give a shudder of relief and clean itself up again, just as it ­always has, over and over, in its 4.6 billion years.

- David Petzal in Field & Stream
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

kager

Post by kager » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:35 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:01 pm
Bryce wrote:
I don't deny that the climate is changing. However, how much of it is caused by humans is still up for debate. I mean seriously, we had an ice age caused by climate change and I don't think there was one freaking coal powered plant in existence at the time.

Even if us humans are responsible for some of it, as long as China and India are allowed to pollute with carefree abandon, I don't see how the U.S. becoming pollution free and affecting our economy is going to change things one bit.
Except they are charging head long into wind, solar and electric vehicles and hitting their targets 5 YEARS early:
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... rgy-leader

They are now the world leader in such technology being implemented. See talking points are only good if the information doesn’t change. In this case they are not building a zillion coal plants anymore.
So...

China is the leader in the improperly named 'renewable energy' technology, but it is still ramping up coal plant production at a rapid pace?

Sounds like they are hedging their bets on this whole 'green energy / climate change' thing being a fad. There are no enforceable repercussions if they do ramp up coal use. They can compliment with their leading tech inside their own country if they need to, for demonstration and occasional tactical purposes, and make immense profit by selling it to the green beans outside their country who are all-in on Gore-ism.

And after the fad ends, they will also be way ahead of any country foolish enough to have phased out all coal for something so dependent on the weather and politics...
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:47 pm

kager wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:35 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:01 pm
Bryce wrote:
I don't deny that the climate is changing. However, how much of it is caused by humans is still up for debate. I mean seriously, we had an ice age caused by climate change and I don't think there was one freaking coal powered plant in existence at the time.

Even if us humans are responsible for some of it, as long as China and India are allowed to pollute with carefree abandon, I don't see how the U.S. becoming pollution free and affecting our economy is going to change things one bit.
Except they are charging head long into wind, solar and electric vehicles and hitting their targets 5 YEARS early:
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... rgy-leader

They are now the world leader in such technology being implemented. See talking points are only good if the information doesn’t change. In this case they are not building a zillion coal plants anymore.
So...

China is the leader in the improperly named 'renewable energy' technology, but it is still ramping up coal plant production at a rapid pace?

Sounds like they are hedging their bets on this whole 'green energy / climate change' thing being a fad. There are no enforceable repercussions if they do ramp up coal use. They can compliment with their leading tech inside their own country if they need to, for demonstration and occasional tactical purposes, and make immense profit by selling it to the green beans outside their country who are all-in on Gore-ism.

And after the fad ends, they will also be way ahead of any country foolish enough to have phased out all coal for something so dependent on the weather and politics...
That analysis should win you a Nobel Prize.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:49 pm

Round Six wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:07 am

When Homo sapiens is ­finally gone, Earth will give a shudder of relief and clean itself up again, just as it ­always has, over and over, in its 4.6 billion years.

So he's saying that the Homo's are responsible for global warming?

imagine the above asked in a perfect Dick The Bruiser impersonation.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:23 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:49 pm
Round Six wrote:

Your dick is bruised? Tell GG to slow down and stop biting.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:40 pm

Bryce wrote:
Round Six wrote:

Just the ones that drive bus.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:15 pm

Round Six wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:40 pm
Bryce wrote:
Round Six wrote:

Just the ones that drive bus.
I see whatcha did there… unfortunately for you just because I prefer my woman not be made of melted plastic does not infer much of anything other than a lack of desperation. And I get to take cars off the road and save the environment to boot. Better luck in round seven… or maybe eighteen.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:02 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:23 pm
Bryce wrote:
Round Six wrote:

Your dick is bruised? Tell GG to slow down and stop biting.
Don't see GG around anymore. I think he's busy with his tongue up Neckbeard's anal cavity....BABBY!

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:16 am

For what it's worth, I'm doing my part. Last year I replaced my window air conditioner with a mini-split heat pump/air conditioner. This year I'm installing 6x100w solar panels on my house. Solar technology has advanced significantly over the past 10 years with efficiency up from 18 to 23% (and hence quite a bit smaller size per-panel), costs way down (now in the $70 range for a well-built 100w panel), and battery technology way better thanks to Lithium-iron-phosphate batteries that have a lifespan of 4,000 or more cycles, can be deep discharged, and are as likely to go up in flames in your garage as a stack of newspapers is.

The problem is, and it isn't so much of an issue in Michigan because we're a fairly low-regulation state when it comes to solar, but the problem is there is so much red tape and electrical code that this is a very daunting task for most people. And so to pay a professional to do it for you, it is no longer affordable. I went the route of not grid-tying my system, but rather running it on its own independent circuit completely separate from grid power as that avoids some of the red tape and also provides me a solar-only outlet in my house. I intend to primarily use it between 2 and 7 pm for my heat pump air conditioner when Consumers charges 1.5x for electricity during the summer/early fall. Will use it for supplemental heat in the winter every so many days however long it takes to charge up the batteries during the less-sun winter months.

For the technologically curious, my system consists of:
-6x HQST 100w solar panels
-2000w Samlex pure sine wave inverter (went with Samlex as they're regarded for their low RFI-emitting inverters)
-2x 12v 100ah Redodo LifePo4 batteries (2500 watts total capacity)
-20 amp, 700 watt DIY Solar 4 U MPPT buck-boost charge controller (went with this one due to it being known for low RFI and high efficiency)
-Victron Battery protect unit (for cutting power to the inverter once the voltage drops below a certain point)
-8 Gauge wire throughout, also a few misc. kill switches and connectors and an indoor outlet

Total cost - about $1800. And aside from daily use, I now also have a backup power source during a power outage.

To me, something like this seems like a much more "workable" solution to cutting fossil fuel usage than what the government is pushing now. Imagine if everybody had a few solar panels on their house and if big businesses like big-box retailers went all-solar.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:29 am

Surprised you need the Victron. Doesn't the Samlex have a configurable low-voltage cutoff?

Are you wring it as series-parallel at 24v, or all at 12v?

What are the current Comsumers rates for peak vs non-peak, and do you know the "all-in" charger per kW? (all-in meaning total electric bill or month divided by total kW use for same period).

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:51 am

The main reason I included a Victron battery protect is because while the Samlex does have a low-voltage cutoff, it sounds a quite loud alarm that AFIK cannot be disabled and I can hear inside of my house when the voltage is simply low but not yet ready for the unit to power off - so I can program the cutoff to happen just before that alarm sounds. Also, it is not programmable and its cutoff is a little lower than I want it - the Victron, however, is programmable right to the 1/10th of a volt. Also note that the Samlex inverter does support a remote switch and the Victron can act as one, so rather than all the power actually flowing through the VIctron, the Victron simply has 2 wires connected to the 2 battery terminals, measures their voltage, and cuts the 24v signal to the inverter thereby telling it to shut down.

The other added benefit is that the Victron has bluetooth and over the bluetooth I can see the battery voltage in real-time over an app.

My system is all 24v. The 2 batteries are wired in series and my panels are (or soon will be as soon as I get around to actually installing them on my roof) connected together in 3 groups of 2.

I'm not sure I understand your last question.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:42 am

If the last three posts were written in a foreign language, I would understand them about as much.
The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:47 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:42 am
If the last three posts were written in a foreign language, I would understand them about as much.
Here's the simplified, almost in understandable English version:

-6 solar panels on roof

-connected to a device that takes the electricity produced by the solar panels and converts it into a stable voltage that can charge some large batteries

-connected to 2 of those large batteries

-connected to a device that converts the energy from the batteries (which came from the solar panels) from DC to AC (the same power that comes out of an outlet in your house)

-connected to a stand-alone house outlet that you can plug anything into and use as if it were plugged in to utility power, except it is instead using power from your solar panels

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic