Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The gun isn't the problem. Hate is the problem.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: The gun isn't the problem. Hate is the problem.

Post by bmw » Fri May 27, 2022 10:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:16 am
Those with domestic violence convictions should be prohibited from owning or using firearms.
They are. And have been since 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_ ... er_Gun_Ban
MWmetalhead wrote:
Adults with guns in the home should be held criminally responsible for criminal actions carried out by minors who live in the home with such weapons if they are left unlocked.
32 states have some version of a child access prevention law, 20 of which impose criminal liability on the parents, 11 of those of which apply criminal liability to the parent EVEN IF the child never uses the gun. Worth nothing is that Texas is one of those 11 states. Lot of good this law did to prevent this shooting.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Extensive mental health exams should be conducted as a condition of firearms purchase.
If there's probable cause to believe that someone may be mentally unstable, that is one thing, but I disagree with a blanket application of this to everybody. Citizens have the RIGHT to keep and bear arms. Constitutional rights are not contingent upon proving one's worthiness to exercise them.

It is also debatable whether such a proposal would violate the 4th Amendment. We already have case law that establishes that "The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution requires that before an officer can lawfully seize a person for mental evaluation, the officer must have probable cause to believe that the person is suffering from mental illness and that the mental illness makes the person a serious danger to himself/herself or to others." https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-libra ... o%20others.

Translation: You can't force someone to submit to a mental examination unless you have probable cause to believe he/she is mentally unstable. And if you're willing to force such an examination for a person to exercise his/her 2nd Amendment right, you must also be willing to at least allow it to be legal to force someone to submit to such an examination in order to exercise ANY Constitutional right. Would you be ok, with, say a law that requires every member of the press submit to a mental health exam before being allowed to publish anything? How about before an individual can enter a church?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri May 27, 2022 11:48 am

We've Tried Nothing And We're All Out Of Ideas...

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:48 am
Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a single suggestion from you. Even on a serious topic such as this one you refuse to leave the comfort of the peanut gallery.

I haven't offered up a solution as I don't believe there is one. Matt is apparently in the same boat. You, however, seem to think there is one. So what is it?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri May 27, 2022 12:28 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:53 am
Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen a single suggestion from you. Even on a serious topic such as this one you refuse to leave the comfort of the peanut gallery.

I haven't offered up a solution as I don't believe there is one. Matt is apparently in the same boat. You, however, seem to think there is one. So what is it?
Here's one: Fuck your guns so we can stop killing little kids...

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 pm

Fri May 27, 2022 12:28 pm
bmw wrote:

Sounds like you've really thought this one out.

I can see Lester's proposed House Bill now:
H.R.7910 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)

Fuck your Guns Act, 2022

This bill hereby repeals the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States so we can stop killing little kids.
Brilliant!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri May 27, 2022 12:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 pm
Fri May 27, 2022 12:28 pm
bmw wrote:

Sounds like you've really thought this one out.

I can see Lester's proposed House Bill now:
H.R.7910 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)

Fuck your Guns Act, 2022

This bill hereby repeals the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States so we can stop killing little kids.
Brilliant!
Ironically it's still more than the GOP has ever offered up...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 27, 2022 4:33 pm

Solutions definitely do exist. The problem is our legislators are largely braindead pieces of corrupt shit.

We are the only wealthy democratic republic with a problem of such severity.

The Texas case is yet another example of law enforcement sitting on their useless asses despite being aware of threats of mass killing being made by a would-be perp on social media.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 27, 2022 5:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:33 pm
The problem is our legislators are largely braindead pieces of corrupt shit.
Name some names. Who are you calling out here?

I don't think "corruption" has anything to do with it. Legislators on both sides of the political aisle have very strongly held views on this topic.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 27, 2022 5:29 pm

I'm calling out ALL of them. Refusing to take up legislation for the betterment of the country in fear of upsetting special interest groups, donors, etc. = corruption.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri May 27, 2022 5:40 pm

How about Ted Cruz? Takes more $$$$ from the NRA than any congressmen.

Why don't you trash this guy, bmw? His daughter was killed in Parkland: https://mobile.twitter.com/cbsnews/stat ... 0349852672

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 27, 2022 5:48 pm

At the end of the day the only people that those in Congress answer to is the voters in their Districts (House) and States (Senate). If they're afraid of anything, it is of being sent packing in November. But that's how it is supposed to work. This isn't corruption. And I haven't seen any evidence that those in Congress would be treating this any differently absent the special interests involved. I don't think any Republicans would be magically onboard with gun regulations if the NRA suddenly ceased to exist.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri May 27, 2022 5:49 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:48 pm

..... I don't think any Republicans would be magically onboard with gun regulations if the NRA suddenly ceased to exist.

:lol

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm

I very much disagree with bmw regarding the impact of the NRA's purse.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 27, 2022 6:01 pm

If gun regulations were popular with their constituents, then they'd be pushing for such regulations. Can you name a single Republican who takes a side on this issue against the will of the majority in the district he/she represents? The risk of political suicide trumps the risk of losing a donor.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri May 27, 2022 6:16 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:01 pm
If gun regulations were popular with their constituents, then they'd be pushing for such regulations. Can you name a single Republican who takes a side on this issue against the will of the majority in the district he/she represents? The risk of political suicide trumps the risk of losing a donor.
That risk gets mitigated pretty quickly when you have a fuck ton of cash rolling in from the NRA around election time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic