Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Roe v. Wade on the verge of being overturned?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Roe v. Wade on the verge of being overturned?

Post by bmw » Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 pm

Politico says it is.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/0 ... n-00029473
The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”
This speculation alone should make for some entertaining news over the next few days.

Honeyman

Re: Roe v. Wade on the verge of being overturned?

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 02, 2022 10:36 pm

This will not help Republicans in November.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 pm

I'm not ready to predict how this plays out politically if this indeed happens. The population is split very nearly evenly on this issue (anywhere from 50-46 favoring pro-choice to 48-48 tie depending on the poll), and my guess is that abortion will remain legal in most states. The few states that move to ban it or severely limit it is where the politics could hurt Republicans, but if that ends up being in states that are heavily Republican anyways, will that really matter?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon May 02, 2022 10:50 pm

Okay, do your numbers and get back to us and maybe they will be as accurate as your "2000 people tops will die of Covid" prediction.

This is the one thing that could save the idiot Democrats from their selves.

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 02, 2022 10:52 pm

Has a draft ever been leaked before on such a major decision? It seems a little suspect for it to happen in this specific case. If true, it's hard to predict if there will be real political fallout, with real economic struggles going on.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 02, 2022 11:02 pm

How many people even have access to such a draft? I can't be very many at all beyond the 9 Justices.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 02, 2022 11:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:02 pm
How many people even have access to such a draft? I can't be very many at all beyond the 9 Justices.
Each justice has at least three clerks and each of those clerks have some staff.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 02, 2022 11:16 pm

The clerks do the actual writing. This is an unprecedented, apparently intentional, breach.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 02, 2022 11:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:16 pm
The clerks do the actual writing. This is an unprecedented, apparently intentional, breach.
I'd place odds on staff of a certain two justices.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon May 02, 2022 11:32 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 pm
This speculation alone should make for some entertaining news over the next few days.
How much you wanna bet that many of the outlets will say if Roe is overturned it will be a ban on abortions, when in fact it is no such thing. It would just return the rights to the individual states. Where, it should be.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 02, 2022 11:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:32 pm
bmw wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 pm
How much you wanna bet that many of the outlets will say if Roe is overturned it will be a ban on abortions, when in fact it is no such thing. It would just return the rights to the individual states. Where, it should be.
I can guarantee you that the picture that will be painted is one of an epidemic of back-alley abortions.

As an aside, marijuana is illegal at the federal level, yet many states allow its use, possession, and even sale. Since when did something being banned at the federal level matter anyways?

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:03 am

The GOP is gonna need to stock up on duct tape.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1467515496979476486

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue May 03, 2022 1:55 am

bmw wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 pm
I'm not ready to predict how this plays out politically if this indeed happens. The population is split very nearly evenly on this issue (anywhere from 50-46 favoring pro-choice to 48-48 tie depending on the poll), and my guess is that abortion will remain legal in most states. The few states that move to ban it or severely limit it is where the politics could hurt Republicans, but if that ends up being in states that are heavily Republican anyways, will that really matter?
Those numbers are from 2000.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue May 03, 2022 3:17 am

The person who leaked this should be severely punished. It was leaked for purely political purposes, for unclear political ends unrelated to the issue at hand.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 03, 2022 6:05 am

At least this alleged decision has reminded the left that the people that can give birth are women and not "birthing people." 🤷

Also, "my body, my choice" makes a return after being on hiatus since March, 2020.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic