Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How does this work?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
learn to fly

How does this work?

Post by learn to fly » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:58 pm

From Johnathon V. Last https://thetriad.thebulwark.com/p/democ ... r-what?s=r
From where I sit, the two parties have spent the last 15 months doing the following:

Republicans:

Purging members who say that Biden is the legitimately elected POTUS.

Protecting members who rub elbows with white nationalists.

Re-litigating the 2020 election at all levels of government.

Making culture war issues out of a series of topics progressing from Dr. Seuss, to CRT, to a trans college swimmer, to grooming/pedophilia.

Am I missing something? Do you recall any big Republican initiatives that aren’t on this list? Aside from being, variously, anti-Ukraine, anti-NATO, and anti-anti-Putin? Meanwhile . . .

Democrats:

Passing the American Rescue Plan.

Fixing the vaccine rollout.

Passing a bi-partisan infrastructure bill.

Pulling out of Afghanistan.

Nominating an overwhelmingly popular and historically important judge to the SCOTUS.

Managing the most successful American response to a foreign policy crisis in (at least) two generations.

Is there negative stuff that happened for Democrats during the last 15 months? Sure. The idea of pulling out of Afghanistan was very popular. The reality of it was deeply unpopular.¹ They have made policy mistakes. The Democrats also spent a great deal of time negotiating an unpopular Build Back Better bill. But—and this point seems important—that unpopular bill did not pass.

You tell me: On balance, which of the two parties has been trying to make inroads with the political center and which has been all about that base for the last 15 months?

craig11152

Re: How does this work?

Post by craig11152 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:18 pm

:rollin

I could cherry pick some "facts" too but I won't bother.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:55 pm

Passing the ARP after Cares Act And CRRSAA were passed under the Trump administration.

Fixing the vaccine rollout and returning to the Trump plan of private pharmacy distribution after the Biden plan of mass distribution at stadiums failed.

Majorly fucked up Afghanistan pullout.

Blamed Russia for inflation in general and higher gas prices overall.

Canceled the Keystone XL pipeline on day 1 for no legitimate reason and now begging Canada to up exports to our country.

See, I can do that too...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:09 pm

Care to acknowledge your parties mental deficit over the fair 2020 election?

Let's compare that to George W and Al Gore... You had a County clerk all but say she was going to change the numbers so that George Bush won.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:29 am

That article reads like an unsolicited tryout for new Press Secretary.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:57 am

On policy, I will agree the GOP platform is weak right now. That's why I believe they will only make minor gains in the midterms.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:57 am
On policy, I will agree the GOP platform is weak right now. That's why I believe they will only make minor gains in the midterms.
Depends on how you define minor gains...

I think the Republicans will become the majority in both houses, and they should be successful in Michigan if the right candidates are nominated. Gretchen Whitmer campaigned last time on "fixing the damn roads" (which she didn't do - her brilliant idea was raising the gas tax 45 cents), and this time she's hoping like hell that Roe v. Wade is overturned. Her slogan this time may as well be "kill the damn babies."

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:25 pm

I agree they will gain enough seats to hold majorities in both Congressional chambers.

Whitmer will be reelected unless the Republican nominee (whomever that is) gets his or her shit together by summer.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:25 pm
I agree they will gain enough seats to hold majorities in both Congressional chambers.

Whitmer will be reelected unless the Republican nominee (whomever that is) gets his or her shit together by summer.
The nominee won't even be decided until August. That worked out fine in 2010. When we had a candidate way ahead of time in the 2006 election, that didn't work out so well. At best, the race is 50-50 right now. We really need to have Tom Leonard as the Republican nominee to beat Nessel.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:43 am

100 percent agreed regarding Tom Leonard. DePerno is slimy.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:01 pm

There is one important element in the 2022 general election (ignoring the primary for now) - voter engagement and voter turnout.

Don't underestimate the power of the Democrats to fail to engage their faithful - but also don't underestimate the power of the faithful to get involved for concerns over health care/abortion/voting rights.

Don't underestimate the Republicans ability to screw up their primaries and candidates to disengage much of the far right. If enough "RINOs" get nominated, how long will it take the America First Party to start trying to get on the general election ballot.

I predict a record mid term turnout. And a five - seven day vote counting. And an actual mess of an election.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic