Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Term limits

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Term limits

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:24 pm

I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on term limits? Is this one topic we can have bi-partisan agreement on in here?

My thoughts are as follows:

12 years for the US House (6x 2-year terms)
12 years for the US Senate (2x 6-year terms)
25 years for Supreme Court Justices (a quarter of a century seems good to me).

As an aside, I would have no problem with every person who currently holds an office or a Supreme Court seat have their term start from scratch the day any such law would be enacted.

Matt

Re: Term limits

Post by Matt » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:53 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:24 pm
I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on term limits? Is this one topic we can have bi-partisan agreement on in here?

As an aside, I would have no problem with every person who currently holds an office or a Supreme Court seat have their term start from scratch the day any such law would be enacted.
Terrible idea - term limits, while good in theory have had negative impacts in Michigan. Also, the SCOTUS proposal could result in ALL 9 theoretically being replaced at once.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:00 pm

I agree with Matt. I used to be a fan of term limits for legislative seats and agree with him that it has not worked well for Michigan.

There is a definite learning curve that applies to analyzing and approving state or federal budgets, evaluating and approving appropriations, conducting committee hearings, drafting legislation, etc.

People generally get better at their jobs with seniority, and I believe the same likely holds true with those who serve in the government, whether in a civil service or elected role.

The problem with imposition of term limits on a new institution is the amount of turnover that would occur all at once. It would be akin to a hospital losing a high percentage of its experienced doctors and nurses and replacing them with recent graduates.

Where I am OK with term limits is the highest executive offices in state and federal government. In legislative and multi-member judicial bodies, power is dispersed. In the Oval Office and in the Governor's Office, power is highly concentrated, and it is easier for such power to be abused. Loss of institutional knowledge isn't as big of a risk at the highest echelons of the executive office, either, as it is fairly common for high ranking cabinet officials to serve in multiple administrations.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:15 pm

Definitely has merit. The only reason Michigan had negative impacts was because of the long-term folks we had there, who had worked themselves into some high-profile positions. Seems like there should be term-limits for all the various committees too. No one should hold absolute power, as in say being the chair of the Appropriations or Armed Services committees.

The rules could be phased-in, so that you don't have a wholesale changeout all at once.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:28 pm

Here in Michigan, some elected officials tend to favor limits. Do two years as a state rep, two years as a state senator. Two different pensions. Then get elected to Washington. Or with the clout they picked up in Lansing, get an appointed gig or two that pay a pension for doing it a few years
Make out pretty good come retirement time.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:42 pm

bmw wrote:

I agree with 18 year limits for Congress and the Senate.

I do not agree with the current Michigan state house and senate arrangement on term limits.

I am fine with a 25 year term limit for the Supreme Court, but the main thing that pisses me off is the stall tactics on voting for them by Congress. There should be a vote on Supreme Court candidates within 10 weeks of a Presidential nomination. No more double standards.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:42 pm

The easiest method of term limits is called VOTING.

I like a concept of the Supreme Court that the limit is something like 17 years on a rotating basis so each Prez term nominates 1 for the bench. Then you don't end up with Judges that are ruling on newer high tech things that they know little or nothing about.

An example was a few years ago on a case before the court dealing with smart phones and texting. Question.. If a person is texting can they receive a phone call?

G G

Post by G G » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:25 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:42 pm
bmw wrote:

I agree with 18 year limits for Congress and the Senate.

I do not agree with the current Michigan state house and senate arrangement on term limits.

I am fine with a 25 year term limit for the Supreme Court, but the main thing that pisses me off is the stall tactics on voting for them by Congress. There should be a vote on Supreme Court candidates within 10 weeks of a Presidential nomination. No more double standards.
I am certainly not surprised that you are not a fan of anyone with more than 18 years of experience.
Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:32 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:42 pm
The easiest method of term limits is called VOTING.

I like a concept of the Supreme Court that the limit is something like 17 years on a rotating basis so each Prez term nominates 1 for the bench. Then you don't end up with Judges that are ruling on newer high tech things that they know little or nothing about.

An example was a few years ago on a case before the court dealing with smart phones and texting. Question.. If a person is texting can they receive a phone call?
Justices typically ask clarifying questions, sometimes just to get an answer on record. I don't think we should nitpick that closely.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

**This space lives rent-free in BMW's head**

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:08 am

As an example, with term limits, nearly all of the Michigan Senate gets replaced at the same time. There are a few holdovers, but they are replaced at the following election.

I say get rid of term limits.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic