Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Breyer to retire at end of term

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Breyer to retire at end of term

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:04 am

Here are a few questions...

If I put an ad on ziprecruiter.com looking to fill a position and said I was considering only white male candidates with conservative views, how long before someone from the EEOC would be knocking on my door? Why is this different?

If someone comes out with claims of impropriety leveled at the Biden nominee in their past, ala Bork, Thomas and Kavanaugh, will any media outlet besides Fox and Newsmax cover it?

Does the fact Biden's approval rating has dropped 17 points among black voters have anything to do with this decision?

Was this announcement leaked prematurely, from the Whitehouse, to take attention away from Biden's recent failures and current problems in the news cycle? There hasn't been an official announcement by Breyer or The Supreme Court.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:04 am
If I put an ad on ziprecruiter.com looking to fill a position and said I was considering only white male candidates with conservative views, how long before someone from the EEOC would be knocking on my door? Why is this different?
Black privilege.

Bryce wrote:
If someone comes out with claims of impropriety leveled at the Biden nominee in their past, ala Bork, Thomas and Kavanaugh, will any media outlet besides Fox and Newsmax cover it?
Only to the extent that such attacks on said woman are sexist and unfair.

Bryce wrote:
Does the fact Biden's approval rating has dropped 17 points among black voters have anything to do with this decision?
I doubt it. It was already a criteria he used to choose his VP. So nothing new here.

Bryce wrote:
Was this announcement leaked prematurely, from the Whitehouse, to take attention away from Biden's recent failures and current problems in the news cycle? There hasn't been an official announcement by Breyer or The Supreme Court.
My first thought when I read this news was that this was politically timed. If there's one thing that can get the Democrat base riled up, it is a battle over a Supreme Court pick.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:51 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:37 am

Only to the extent that such attacks on said woman are sexist and unfair.

Bryce wrote:
I doubt it. It was already a criteria he used to choose his VP. So nothing new here.
And THAT was such a stunning success story. :roll:
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:55 am

It's not even a rational decision in what is supposed to be a "color blind" society. You look at the criteria of EVERYBODY and you choose based on that. And whatever the race of that person happens to be, so be it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:55 am

Kamala to SCOTUS, Trump to VP. Trump's main responsibility is the border.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:21 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:55 am
Kamala to SCOTUS, Trump to VP. Trump's main responsibility is the border.
SCOTUS already has a Kamala. Her name is Sonia.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:49 am

Great to watch you guys pull each others puds during the thrilling conversation.

1) The President promised during a primary debate to appoint a Black woman to the Supreme Court. He's keeping that promise.

2)
t's not even a rational decision in what is supposed to be a "color blind" society. You look at the criteria of EVERYBODY and you choose based on that. And whatever the race of that person happens to be, so be it.
And what exactly do you mean by "criteria"? The entire list that President Trump announced as his SC nominees were all white and all approved by a conservative Think Tank.

3) This process was damaged badly by the rejection of Robert Bork. Before that, nominees were judged by their "criteria". Now, they are judged by their partisanship. Sad state of American affairs...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:12 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:49 am
3) This process was damaged badly by the rejection of Robert Bork. Before that, nominees were judged by their "criteria". Now, they are judged by their partisanship. Sad state of American affairs...
Thank-you Ted Kennedy. Less than an hour after Bork's nomination the "Lion of the Senate" took to the Senate floor and announced.
“Robert Bork’s America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens’ doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists could be censored at the whim of the government, and the doors of the federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens.”
The process went downhill from there.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:49 am
2)
t's not even a rational decision in what is supposed to be a "color blind" society. You look at the criteria of EVERYBODY and you choose based on that. And whatever the race of that person happens to be, so be it.
And what exactly do you mean by "criteria"? The entire list that President Trump announced as his SC nominees were all white and all approved by a conservative Think Tank.
Try to keep on topic here. The topic isn't Trump or his picks (and btw - your claim that Trump's entire list of candidates was white is factually false). The topic is on whether before even considering a nominee, you should eliminate 93% of all possible candidates on the basis of gender and skin color? Do you support this? By "criteria" I mean merit-based qualifications. Skin color and gender have nothing to do with one's qualifications to be a judge.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:18 pm

Betcha Condoleezza Rice isn't on the short list.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:18 pm
I would hope not! Her education was centered around international relations and political science.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:45 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm
Bryce wrote:
I would hope not! Her education was centered around international relations and political science.
As opposed to Sotomayor with a Bachelors in History and a law degree centered on business?

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:56 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:45 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm
Bryce wrote:
As opposed to Sotomayor with a Bachelors in History and a law degree centered on business?
I am struggling to see why that matters. From what I know of law degree programs, everyone takes about 60-70% of the same or similar courses. She likely had to take a good deal of courses focused on things like the UCC and contracts. Just going off my own personal experience from when I considered getting a law degree and reviewed coursework, I considered tax or business transactions as an area of focus because of a professional certification and a bachelors in accounting. From what I recall, most coursework was the same independent of focus, but then there were like 5-6 courses in a concentration area, like constitutional law or business or tax. Gotta say, I think that, and her career, are both things that prepared her in ways that Rice wouldn't be prepared.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:57 pm

All things said and done, I would prefer someone who is has a background in, and studied, Constitutional law. Clerking for a Supreme Court Justice would be a plus too.

NOT someone that thinks Montesquieu is a nice wine.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:07 pm

The topic is on whether before even considering a nominee, you should eliminate 93% of all possible candidates on the basis of gender and skin color? Do you support this?
Yes I do. In my lifetime, a person's color determined whether they could vote, own a house, have a job. In my lifetime, a black man could go to war to protect his white countrymen, until he came home and tried to register to vote and then they hanged him.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180978538/

As a society, we haven't paid a price for any of that yet. It's time we do.
All things said and done, I would prefer someone who is has a background in, and studied, Constitutional law. Clerking for a Supreme Court Justice would be a plus too.
Great, I found you someone who meets your criteria.
Judge Jackson, who clerked for Justice Breyer during the Supreme Court’s 1999-2000 term, was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Miami. She graduated from Harvard College and Harvard Law School. She worked several legal jobs early in her career, including as a staff member for the United States Sentencing Commission and, from 2005 to 2007, as an assistant federal public defender in Washington. In 2012, President Barack Obama nominated her to serve as a district court judge in the capital. During her eight and a half years on the Federal District Court bench, Judge Jackson handled a number of challenges to executive agency actions that raised questions of administrative law. She also heard several cases that attracted particular political attention.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic