Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The pandemic will be over by May 1

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: The pandemic will be over by May 1

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:50 am

Understood, and I appreciate the answer.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:53 pm

Glad to hear the positive prognosis for your mom!

It's interesting to me to see the reaction of those that don't think this thing has a shot of finally flipping over to endemic mode by May.

Will this COVID variety ever disappear? Probably not. Will it come back and have impacts on public health with future outbreaks? Almost unquestionably.

But "learning to live with it" has been something that humans do - and something that we are going to do. Maybe not in the USA in Jan or Feb ... but by May after omicron gets 90% of us? It really COULD happen just like IHME is predicting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/worl ... demic.html

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:38 am
My personal opinion - putting family biases aside (ie, the fact that she's my mom), I would have considered her borderline as to whether getting vaccinated was the right risk vs. reward call. 62 years old and the only underlying condition (at least as defined by the CDC) is a marginally high blood pressure that requires the smallest dose you can take of a blood pressure med. It is the only daily medication she takes.

Her reason for not wanting the vaccine was because we have a family member (her aunt, my great aunt) who was 85 years old who died form a stroke just a few weeks after getting her second shot. The family is kind of divided opinion-wise on whether the vaccine caused it or not (me personally I am of the opinion given her overall condition at the time that that was just a coincidence), but I do know for sure that my mom was generally scared of vaccine side effects. She's HIGHLY sensitive to just about any medication and I know she's had some nasty reactions to various meds before. Whether she ever talked about it with her doctor specifically, I have no idea.

While the subject hasn't come up recently, I remember asking her a few weeks ago if there's anything she wishes she had done different. Her only answer was getting the monoclonal antibodies. It is not a subject I am inclined to bring up again with her.
Now I understand why(and maybe on a subconscious level) that you don't like the vaccine. Kind of feel bad. The monoclonal antibodies really do work and is one of the few things that 90% of people(both pro vax and anti vax) agree with.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 am

Reagan4prez wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:51 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:37 pm
Do you realize how ridiculous this dialogue is? You're trying to compare the variant that was killing people at unprecedented rates last year with a variant that has proven itself to stay in the sinuses and give you flu-like symptoms.

Do you know how many unvaccinated people are still dying every week? Time to celebrate death eh?

What a pack of idiots.
1.35 million people die in road crashes every year. 3,700 a day.

https://www.asirt.org/safe-travel/road-safety-facts/

But you pack of idiots still drive! You celebrate death!

#drivingbanorbust

Annual heart disease deaths: 659,000

Annual cancer deaths: 599,000

Annual Covid deaths: 385,000

“Derp, let’s focus on the lowest number!”
Your annual death rate for car accidents is worldwide whereas the rest are USA only. But either you knew that and hoped no one would notice or you really are as stupid as you come across.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:58 am

The annual car death rate in the USA is about 38,000. Multiply that by 10 and you have the COVID death rate.
So drive on you "pack of idiots".

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am

Reagan4prez wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 am

Because COVID isn’t global.

Gotcha.
Of course its global you fucking moron. But you can't make a point comparing global auto deaths with US Covid deaths.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:00 am

An immunologist from U-M who has been interviewed on local newscasts here in Metro Detroit and whose analysis has been cited in recent newspaper articles more or less agrees with the comments found in BMW's opening post.

He indicated the relative mildness of Omicron coupled with protection afforded by the vaccine as well as by natural immunity all point to the virus being much less impactful by late 2022. I know I'm oversimplifying his remarks, but I believe that is the gist of his findings. According to him, viruses such as COVID generally produce the most severe impacts in their first couple waves of mutations. Thereafter, the likelihood of severe symptoms diminishes greatly.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/flashpoi ... d-in-2022/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:07 am

BTW, the COVID case count in Sweden absolutely exploded once the calendar hit the New Year. Case count looked great into early December but has been trending sharply upward ever since. That's the bad news.

The good news?

Deaths there, especially when calculated as a percentage of active cases, do remain very, very low (about 0.1% to 0.2% of new cases). Over 70 percent of their population is considered fully vaccinated.

I think those statistics support the case being made by the gentleman at U-M and others. It also suggests the vaccines are effective at providing protection from severe illness in most circumstances.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 am
Reagan4prez wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 am

Because COVID isn’t global.

Gotcha.
Of course its global you fucking moron. But you can't make a point comparing global auto deaths with US Covid deaths.
You're 100% correct, Craig.

But you're violating your own sig line.

The censorship king from out of state.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 am

You are so right my good man.

I guess I need a meeting...

Hi, I'm Craig and its been 3 hours since I engaged a troll....

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:43 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:33 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 am

You are so right my good man.

I guess I need a meeting...

Hi, I'm Craig and its been 3 hours since I engaged a troll....
:lol:

No worries. He/she/it brings out the worst in all of us.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:13 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:58 am
The annual car death rate in the USA is about 38,000. Multiply that by 10 and you have the COVID death rate.
So drive on you "pack of idiots".
On a per-infection basis, given the probable number of undetected or unreported infections, Omicron may well be no more fatal than the flu. MW pointed to Sweden. I checked out their numbers, and their deaths appear to be down about 8x per infection (when accounting for lag behind actual case numbers) compared to their death rate just over a year ago (4x more cases, 2x fewer deaths).

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:27 pm

Keep working your numbers man you'll convince somebody sometime that it's worth their life.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:30 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:27 pm
Keep working your numbers man you'll convince somebody sometime that it's worth their life.
And you keep living in fear, man. Go get your 27th booster shot.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:32 pm

You really don't understand risk evaluation do you?

Have you met any long haulers yet? They certainly are enjoying the benefits of being anti-vax. See, someone who is vaccinated is not likely to ever become a long hauler.

Are you aware that you likely have a greater risk of heart disease in the future because of your exposure to the full-blown virus? Maybe you should spend some time reading the other data about consequences of full on covid exposure.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic