Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another anti-vaxx right wing media idiot dies from COVID

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Honeyman

Re: Another anti-vaxx right wing media idiot dies from COVID

Post by Honeyman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Maybe it's just your definition of "mock", Beemer. I don't think calling someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt, who smokes cigarettes, or doesn't vaccinate as "stupid" is mocking. It IS stupid. I understand your point of "celebrating their death", but I don't see that being done by MW here, or anyone else. I would advance I have little sympathy for these people since the vaccine is so easily available, and there is a large degree of disgust for people of influence like televangelists that promote this foolish behavior. Again....I don't see that as "mocking".

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:44 pm

People who die because of their poor life choices are idiots, in my view. Why? Simple. Life is sacred and should be cherished. These people are putting their own lives at risk unnecessarily due to poor personal decisions and putting their families thru great grief in the process.

I would love nothing more than for these folks to learn from their mistakes before it is too late and change their personal habits. Smoking is a great example.

One key difference is most smokers don't have a national TV platform that they use to extol the virtues of smoking.

It is tragic that conspiracy believing or prophecy believing anti-vaxxers are throwing caution into the wind and dying as a result.

I am mocking the poor personal choices not the death itself. The fatality is tragic.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:13 pm

The fatality is a sign that the vaccine saves lives...and BMW you protest too much.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:44 pm
People who die because of their poor life choices are idiots, in my view. Why? Simple. Life is sacred and should be cherished. These people are putting their own lives at risk unnecessarily due to poor personal decisions and putting their families thru great grief in the process.

I would love nothing more than for these folks to learn from their mistakes before it is too late and change their personal habits. Smoking is a great example.

One key difference is most smokers don't have a national TV platform that they use to extol the virtues of smoking.

It is tragic that conspiracy believing or prophecy believing anti-vaxxers are throwing caution into the wind and dying as a result.

I am mocking the poor personal choices not the death itself. The fatality is tragic.
So why did you give Rush Limbaugh a pass? He died (relatively) young from lung cancer, almost certainly from smoking. He had a national platform. Biggest one in media. And he often used it to, perhaps not "extol the virtues of smoking" but I certainly heard him a few times say that the dangers of smoking were way overblown (and EVEN WHEN HE HAD CANCER and was still on the air, I don't once recall him using his platform to encourage his listeners not to smoke). He would also freely talk about his favorite Cigars. Yet, you had nothing but praise for him when he died. So did zzand. In fact, you called TC Talks classless for posting a pic of Rush with a cigar.

Why did we not see a thread from you titled "Another pro-smoking right wing media idiot dies from smoking"? Because based on everything I've seen you post here, that is exactly what you should have had to say about Rush, if you were being consistent.

Here's the thread in question, btw - https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 24&t=56909

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:14 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:44 pm

So why did you give Rush Limbaugh a pass? He died (relatively) young from lung cancer, almost certainly from smoking. He had a national platform. Biggest one in media. And he often used it to, perhaps not "extol the virtues of smoking" but I certainly heard him a few times say that the dangers of smoking were way overblown (and EVEN WHEN HE HAD CANCER and was still on the air, I don't once recall him using his platform to encourage his listeners not to smoke). He would also freely talk about his favorite Cigars. Yet, you had nothing but praise for him when he died. So did zzand. In fact, you called TC Talks classless for posting a pic of Rush with a cigar.

Why did we not see a thread from you titled "Another pro-smoking right wing media idiot dies from smoking"? Because based on everything I've seen you post here, that is exactly what you should have had to say about Rush, if you were being consistent.

Here's the thread in question, btw - https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 24&t=56909
Looking over that thread, I'm proud of my comments. I hope that mother fucker had a very painful death.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:08 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:59 pm
I've said all along that there are vulnerable people who should probably get vaccinated. Diabetes seems to be a significant underlying condition. NOW, if he has been preaching that vulnerable people should not get vaccinated, then I will concede that he would have opened himself up to criticism. Not saying I would necessarily completely agree with said criticism, but I would accept is as fair. But thus far I haven't seen a shred of evidence that he was doing that. Not saying he didn't, but again, I'm not going to criticize him based on hearsay and speculation.

My gripe, as it has going all the way back to Herman Cain, has been with mocking a dead person as an idiot. It is my personal belief that mocking dead people for their poor life decisions does not reflect well upon humanity in general. We don't mock smokers for dying from lung cancer. We don't mock alcoholics for dying from liver failure. We don't mock people who die from heart attacks that come as a result of poor diet and exercise. I could go on and on. In all those instances, those people KNOW that they're making bad decisions that may shorten their life, but they still make those decisions anyways. And millions of them every year pay the consequences. But we don't treat them after death like this. There is something unique about Covid vaccination and the decision to not get one that just seems to bring the worst out of a lot of people who wouldn't say these same things about people in the other groups I mentioned, and I don't get it.
Because most of those folks are actually enjoying LIFE and LIVING before they died, instead of being insufferable BOORS all their life. Even if they only lived to 40 or 50, they actually had a LIFE that they ENJOYED.

You could say Dale Ernhardt was "stupid" for racing cars, ones that eventually ended his life, or even JFK, Jr, who enjoyed piloting his own plane. But at least those guys HAD lives to enjoy and appreciate.

I'd say the same about folks now who are continuing to enjoy their lives, instead of hiding in mommy's basement with two masks on.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:29 am

Oh yeah....opening up that 2nd pack of Marlboros of the day is a special moment!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:02 pm

I'd draw a distinction between people knowingly making poor choices that they can do something about and people making poor choices that lead to addictions that are extremely difficult to break. I would bet that most chain smokers and alcoholics aren't "enjoying" their addictions. Chowing down on that second bacon double cheeseburger because you really enjoy a good burger is different from lighting up your 25th cigarette of the day, every day, because you're hopelessly addicted.

The fact that over 50% of Americans claim that they try to quit smoking each year should be evidence of this.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:51 pm

I would agree with BMW that addiction is a complicated disease not worth of mocking.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:05 pm

I think a lot of "addictions" are just weakness. Especially obesity. I love burgers and fries, but I know what I'd look like if I ate them every day too, so I don't. I exercise daily instead of sitting on my ass watching TV for hours. It isn't that hard. Honestly, I see someone grossly overweight and have little sympathy. There was a time they knew they were getting overweight, and did nothing about it except eat even more.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:26 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:08 am
You could say Dale Ernhardt was "stupid" for racing cars, ones that eventually ended his life,
He wasn't "stupid" for racing cars, but he was definitely stupid for refusing for years to even entertain the thought of wearing a HANS device, which would have very likely saved his life in that crash.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:05 pm
I think a lot of "addictions" are just weakness. Especially obesity. I love burgers and fries, but I know what I'd look like if I ate them every day too, so I don't. I exercise daily instead of sitting on my ass watching TV for hours. It isn't that hard. Honestly, I see someone grossly overweight and have little sympathy. There was a time they knew they were getting overweight, and did nothing about it except eat even more.
I have to agree with a lot of this. Not sure I'd say the same about heroin or meth, as those might have created damage to the brain beyond repair, but food does not. And there are typically years and years of this abuse and opportunities to change before it ever gets to "morbidly obesity" which is prevalent.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:15 pm

To address an earlier remark from bmw:

If Limbaugh remained an unrepentant smoker in the latter years of his life, then yes, he is ABSOLUTELY a fool and an idiot for sacrificing his personal health.

That said, he was a marvelous broadcaster who was among the best ever at his craft and is a central figure in modern conservatism.

In contrast, I don't have much use for 90 percent of televangelists.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:34 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:05 pm
I think you might be a bit more precise about addiction vs functional people who over indulge. The difference is significant.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 pm

Hell must have frozen over seeing as how I and TC Talks, albeit on one lone part of one topic, agree on something.

One thing I would add is this: All addictions begin as voluntary behavior. As an addiction strengthens, the behavior that drives feeding the addiction becomes less and less voluntary until you have no control over it whatsoever. It is at that point that you are distinguishable from one who over-indulges from time to time. An example of "weakness" might be stuffing yourself at a buffet because you can, even though your brain tells you that you shouldn't. Enough willpower and you can beat that weakness without any adverse physical symptoms to your body. Withdrawal, from chemical dependence, is a different matter entirely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic