Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New B.1.1.529 more deadly

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: New B.1.1.529 more deadly

Post by Rate This » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:40 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:38 pm
We simply don't know enough about it yet, other than very early indications are that it is quite transmissible. We don't know what degree of protection the vaccine will offer. We don't know what degree of protection natural immunity from past variants will offer. We don't know how deadly it is. The ideal situation is that it is highly transmissible but less deadly. That would allow a less deadly version of Covid to become the dominant strain. I'm not getting my hopes up that this will be case, but I do remember early on suggesting that the best-case scenario would be that it mutates itself to a dominant but less deadly version.

To ABC News' credit, I heard their top-of-the-hour radio news today and they stressed that people should neither buy into fear mongering nor pretend like it is nothing as we simply don't have enough information yet.

I will say at least this much - it appears that just like back in March of 2020, the cat is already out of the bag on this one. If it is destined to be highly transmissible, it is ALREADY too late to stop it from taking over the globe.
If the virus can help it the goal is not to kill the host but spread itself to as many as possible. Killing the host kind of defeats the purpose.

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:30 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:19 pm
We can start calling this one by name… Omicron. The US and EU have both issued travel bans to non-citizens from South Africa and 7 other countries it looks like. The EU one might be slightly different but that’s the US’s stance right now. This will never end.
Actually no its not really called Omicron from following the science of the greek Alphabet as it was intended. Xi is the true name of this Varient.

As always, covid is only political and science skipped xi since it has the same name with the leader of China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/28/worl ... covid.html

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Dr. Fauci really needs to just lay low and shut his big yapper. He's already out there running the TV circuit, drumming up more Covid fears, telling Americans to prepare for the 5th wave of Covid. Is that really what Americans want to hear right now? We don't yet have a single detected case in the US (though I have no doubt we will soon), and we don't yet know enough about the variant to even speculate as to what threat it may or may not pose, and yet Fauci is talking like the next apocalypse is upon us. From what extremely limited data is out there, it looks like it MIGHT be a less deadly strain that causes barely more than extreme fatigue for a few days.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:09 pm
Dr. Fauci really needs to just lay low and shut his big yapper. He's already out there running the TV circuit, drumming up more Covid fears, telling Americans to prepare for the 5th wave of Covid. Is that really what Americans want to hear right now? We don't yet have a single detected case in the US (though I have no doubt we will soon), and we don't yet know enough about the variant to even speculate as to what threat it may or may not pose, and yet Fauci is talking like the next apocalypse is upon us. From what extremely limited data is out there, it looks like it MIGHT be a less deadly strain that causes barely more than extreme fatigue for a few days.
💯

Fauci needs to go away and never be heard from again.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:42 pm

They're a little late to the party, but Reuters is finally reporting on the mild symptoms that have thus far been reported.
Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a private practitioner and chair of South African Medical Association, told Reuters that on Nov. 18 she noticed seven patients at her clinic who had symptoms different from the dominant Delta variant, albeit "very mild"...Coetzee said a patient on Nov. 18 reported at her clinic being "extremely fatigued" for two days with body aches and headache.

"Symptoms at that stage was very much related to normal viral infection...On the same day, more patients came in with similar symptoms, which was when she realised there was "something else going on." Since then, she's seen two to three patients a day...

"Most of them are seeing very, very mild symptoms and none of them so far have admitted patients to surgeries. We have been able to treat these patients conservatively at home," she said.

Coetzee, who is also on the Ministerial Advisory Committee on Vaccines, said unlike the Delta so far patients have not reported loss of smell or taste and there has been no major drop in oxygen levels with the new variant. Her experience so far has been that the variant is affecting people who are 40 or younger. Almost half of the patients with Omicron symptoms that she treated were not vaccinated.
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/

See, now I find this to be potentially GREAT news. Granted, these are mostly young people and the sample size isn't large, but this looks promising to me. A variant that takes over, chokes all other variants out of existence because of how contagious it is, but generally isn't deadly or even putting people in the hospital - that would be the ideal scenario in my view. We'll know a lot more in a few weeks.

Notice too that just over half of her patients WERE VACCINATED. The average vaccination rate in that part of her country is around 25%. That means the infection rate, at least in that small sample size, was double in vaccinated people compared to unvaccinated.

In all seriousness - could THIS be what finally ends the pandemic, safely? Those symptoms sound barely worse than the side effects that 1 in 4 people get with their vaccination. And if it does take over and isn't deadly (a lot of speculation, I know, especially as it pertains to the elderly), should we actually just let it run rampant? That would be a lightning fast way to create a lot of immunity.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 pm

SoutheastMIViewer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:30 am
Rate This wrote:
We can start calling this one by name… Omicron. The US and EU have both issued travel bans to non-citizens from South Africa and 7 other countries it looks like. The EU one might be slightly different but that’s the US’s stance right now. This will never end.
Actually no its not really called Omicron from following the science of the greek Alphabet as it was intended. Xi is the true name of this Varient.

As always, covid is only political and science skipped xi since it has the same name with the leader of China.

That’s not political. If the next letter was Trump they would skip that too. You don’t want to name a virus after somebody currently running a country good or bad. That’s not political.

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 pm
SoutheastMIViewer wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:30 am
Rate This wrote:

That’s not political. If the next letter was Trump they would skip that too. You don’t want to name a virus after somebody currently running a country good or bad. That’s not political.
Saying you will use the full Greek alphabet to name the Varients means you will use the full greek alphabet. Skipping a greek letter because a person uses that same spelling is political.

If its not political, then they should’ve never used Delta as its named after a company that flys people around the world daily. Same excuse you just provided.

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:37 pm

It wouldn't be "named" after someone running a country. It's a Greek letter.

Oh, and why is banning travel from China at the start of the China Virus pandemic Xenophobic according to Joe, but banning travel from South Africa not racist? Asking for a friend.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:16 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:37 pm
It wouldn't be "named" after someone running a country. It's a Greek letter.

Oh, and why is banning travel from China at the start of the China Virus pandemic Xenophobic according to Joe, but banning travel from South Africa not racist? Asking for a friend.
It’s the China virus part that’s xenophobic as you just demonstrated. Plus South Africa isn’t a 100% black nation, in fact it’s only about 75% black African. If you’re gonna pick a country to ask about why it’s not racist South Africa may be the worst one in Africa you could have picked. And you had options too… there were 6 other countries to choose from.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:02 pm

Looking back through this relatively recent post, it looks like my predictions thus far are panning out.
bmw wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:38 pm
We simply don't know enough about it yet, other than very early indications are that it is quite transmissible...The ideal situation is that it is highly transmissible but less deadly. That would allow a less deadly version of Covid to become the dominant strain. I'm not getting my hopes up that this will be case, but I do remember early on suggesting that the best-case scenario would be that it mutates itself to a dominant but less deadly version...

I will say at least this much - it appears that just like back in March of 2020, the cat is already out of the bag on this one. If it is destined to be highly transmissible, it is ALREADY too late to stop it from taking over the globe.
bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:42 pm
In all seriousness - could THIS be what finally ends the pandemic, safely?...And if it does take over and isn't deadly (a lot of speculation, I know, especially as it pertains to the elderly), should we actually just let it run rampant? That would be a lightning fast way to create a lot of immunity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic