Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

President Pete?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

President Pete?

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 am

bmw

Re: President Pete?

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 am

The Buttigieg presidential buzz has penetrated the White House
Was "penetrated" really the best choice of words for a headline when talking about Pete Buttigieg? :lol

For what it's worth, Bettors on PredictIt have him not far behind Kamala as the 3rd most likely to get the nomination. I think at this point in time it is a total crapshoot trying to predict who will be the nominee in 2024 for either party.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 am
Was "penetrated" really the best choice of words for a headline when talking about Pete Buttigieg? :lol
A clear sign of your own personal biases... since the metaphor of "penetration" could also apply to the current VP's past relationships with politicians.

Question - and I'm wondering if this can get answered by many of this boards participants without vulgarity - will Secretary Pete's sexual orientation help or hurt his future political chances?

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:37 am

Oh come on - ANYBODY who know Pete's orientation, regardless of how they feel about it, could have gotten a quick chuckle out of how that headline was worded. You have to admit that was an interesting choice of words - all things considered - perhaps even intentional.

As to your question - I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. I mean, he didn't do particularly well in the 2020 primaries. His biggest liability is his bland personality.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:49 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 am
- will Secretary Pete's sexual orientation help or hurt his future political chances?
Good question. My gut thought is it will hurt. I see 3 categories
1. people who vote for or against him for reasons unrelated to sexual orientation
2. people who vote for because of his sexual orientation
3. people who vote against because of his sexual orientation.

I think the 3's will outnumber the 2's although I have no idea by how much.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:51 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:31 am
Getting a lot of media attention..

Is Mayor/Secretary/New Father Pete readying for Prime Time?
Of course he's getting a lot of media attention. The same media that sells lies about people they don't like, can and will sell the people that they do. The MEDIA LOVES Mayor Pete. The American public? Not so much.

A mayor of a little, poorly run town will not be elected President. The only mayor that has ever been elected President is Grover Cleveland, and he was the Governor of New York prior to becoming mayor.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:51 am
The MEDIA LOVES Mayor Pete. The American public? Not so much.
Not according to some...
The spotlight on Mayor Pete comes as a new poll shows Buttigieg with the highest name ID (83%) of any member of the Biden administration (aside from Biden and Harris, of course) and a higher net favorability rating (+10) than not only every other Cabinet member, but both Biden (-6) and Harris (-12) as well.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 am

Bryce wrote:
A mayor of a little, poorly run town will not be elected President.
Posting just so we can come back to it in the future and check your prognostication abilities..

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 am
Bryce wrote:
Posting just so we can come back to it in the future and check your prognostication abilities..
What did people say when Trump was coming down that elevator?

The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 15688

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:18 am

If Buttigieg becomes President, God help us.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:18 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:10 am
Bryce wrote:
I'm first to admit, I could be wrong. After all, I never in a million years thought a pot smoking community activist with deep ties to domestic terrorists could be elected President either. Then again, the media REALLY loved, and sold, Barry.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:07 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:23 am
bmw wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 am
A clear sign of your own personal biases... since the metaphor of "penetration" could also apply to the current VP's past relationships with politicians.

Question - and I'm wondering if this can get answered by many of this boards participants without vulgarity - will Secretary Pete's sexual orientation help or hurt his future political chances?
He won't get the black vote. They don't like gays. The media will never talk about why, they don't want to tell the truth about the reason. Then the optics of him (the white gay man) trampling over Kamala( African-American woman amongst other things) to grab the top spot on the ticket isn't very good. Don't think for a minute what he said about the infrastructure bill and it overcoming those "racist" bridges that have been built was not said on purpose. He's trying to lay the groundwork. Dems are experts when it comes to pandering for votes to certain groups of people with those dog whistle type statements.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:01 pm

There was a memorable headline in The Michigan Daily when Peters ran against Cox in an election a number of years ago. They must have scrubbed it like here recently with a certain poster whose screen name subtly screamed "Braggadocio". There's another screen name even more subtle yet explicit that screamed it that remains. If true, both would be popular among Buttgieg's circle of friends. Never thought about his first name before now. :rollin

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 pm

In an October poll, Pete Butigieg's favorability rating was 37 positive to 47 negative. Granted, those are better than Kamala's numbers, but a 47% unfavorable rating for someone who isn't significantly in the national spotlight is an extremely high number. Usually someone in Pete's position would have 30% or more undecided.

I won't rule him out as getting the Democrat nomination, but I think his odds of winning the Presidency are extremely slim. I don't think he has what it takes to go one-on-one with any of the Republicans who are considered possibilities for the Republican nomination. And it has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. He's just a boring candidate who I don't think would do all that well in driving up turnout.

Democrats have the weakest bench of potential candidates that they've had in modern times. PredictIt has 7 candidates:
-Biden
-Kamala
-Buttigieg
-AOC
-Warren
-Bernie
-Hillary

4 of those 7 potential candidates will be age 75 or older when 2024 rolls around. Then you have AOC who will barely be old enough to legally run, and Buttigieg who would be younger than Bill Clinton was. Outside of Kamala Harris, their candidates are either nursing-home-bound or barely out of the womb.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:27 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 pm
In an October poll, Pete Butigieg's favorability rating was 37 positive to 47 negative. Granted, those are better than Kamala's numbers, but a 47% unfavorable rating for someone who isn't significantly in the national spotlight is an extremely high number. Usually someone in Pete's position would have 30% or more undecided.

I won't rule him out as getting the Democrat nomination, but I think his odds of winning the Presidency are extremely slim. I don't think he has what it takes to go one-on-one with any of the Republicans who are considered possibilities for the Republican nomination. And it has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. He's just a boring candidate who I don't think would do all that well in driving up turnout.

Democrats have the weakest bench of potential candidates that they've had in modern times. PredictIt has 7 candidates:
-Biden
-Kamala
-Buttigieg
-AOC
-Warren
-Bernie
-Hillary

4 of those 7 potential candidates will be age 75 or older when 2024 rolls around. Then you have AOC who will barely be old enough to legally run, and Buttigieg who would be younger than Bill Clinton was. Outside of Kamala Harris, their candidates are either nursing-home-bound or barely out of the womb.
Keep in mind that the country will be burned to the ground if we have the third popular-vote loser in the last 20 years win anyways in 2024. It’s pretty hard for Republicans to win the White House and the popular vote together. They’ve done it once since 1992 (2004).

Next to Trump a young fresh face would do quite well I think. Ditto for a Republican against Biden if they can get away from some of the looney and icky ideas that hold them back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic