Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Now the word "looting" is racist

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Now the word "looting" is racist

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:36 pm

This is in reference to the latest loo....errr...."organized theft" that has been going on in California.
ABC 7 notes that the California Penal Code has a specific definition of "looting," and it applies only in situations of individuals stealing items while taking advantage of some type of disaster — not as part of some organized theft.

According to the code, looting is a "theft or burglary ... during a 'state of emergency', 'local emergency', or 'evacuation order' resulting from an earthquake, fire, flood, riot or other natural or manmade disaster."

The problem with applying it inappropriately, says Lorenzo Boyd, professor of criminal justice and community policing at the University of New Haven, and a retired police officer, is that it can have racist connotations.

"Looting is a term that we typically use when people of color or urban dwellers are doing something," Boyd told ABC 7. "We tend not to use that term for other people when they do the exact same thing."
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/looti ... d/1045915/

https://abc7news.com/retail-theft-smash ... /11263189/

Ok, now hold on a second. Does this also mean that when the media focuses on black-on-white crime - stories that they would otherwise ignore if the races were different - that such covering of these stories also "can have racist connotations"?

And btw, I don't care what the California penal code has to say about what legally classifies as looting. Looting also has a general-use definition that includes "to rob especially on a large scale and usually by violence or corruption" (Merriam-Webster). That is precisely what happened in California.

TC Talks

Re: Now the word "looting" is racist

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:43 pm

It means that the Italian mafia, that whole collection of thieves can never really be looters.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:43 pm
It means that the Italian mafia, that whole collection of thieves can never really be looters.
When was the last time you saw 80 members of the Italian mafia walk in to Nordstrom
and loot the place?

I was gonna call anyone who does that ANYWHERE a looter… well EXCUSE ME.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:48 am

This "normalizing" of crime by the far left (I stress "far" as I don't think most moderates are amused either) is something I just don't understand. I don't get how any rational person can villainize law enforcement as the bad guys while concurrently justifying the actions of criminals. I'd like to think this is going to backfire, but the people who live in these hardest-hit area still keep voting the same loons into positions of power. I guess they're getting what they deserve.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:43 pm

This is quite an organized operation well planned out in advance. Organized crime organizations have everything to do with this.
The Coalition of Law Enforcement and Retail, a trade association, which Mr. Dugan heads, estimates that organized retail theft accounts for around $45 billion in annual losses for retailers these days, up from $30 billion a decade ago. At CVS, reported thefts have ballooned 30% since the pandemic began.

Mr. Dugan’s team, working with law enforcement, expects to close 73 e-commerce cases this year involving $104 million of goods stolen from multiple retailers and sold on Amazon. That compares with 27 cases in 2020, involving half the total. CVS has doubled its crime team to 17 over the past two years and purchased its own surveillance van with 360-degree cameras and a high-powered telescope.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic