Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

When can we start calling this a pandemic of the vaccinated?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

When can we start calling this a pandemic of the vaccinated?

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:20 am

Only one week after data showed virtually no correlation whatsoever between Covid daily case rates and a state's vaccination rates, Covid cases overall are on the rise. And where are they on the rise? In states with the highest vaccination rates.

Last week, the daily average number of cases per 100k of population was 31 in the lowest vaccinated states and 32 in the highest - a statistically insignificant difference given the large amount of variation from state to state.

This week, however, a clear trend line has emerged. The number remains at 31 in the lowest vaccinated states but has jumped to 40 in the highest vaccinated states.

And this is just in one week's time. Anybody out there care to explain this trend? And for that matter, does anybody even care? Is there any intellectual curiosity whatsoever about this? Here? In the media? Anywhere? Or am I just imagining things that aren't true? And don't tell me I'm "cherry-picking" data. All 50 states are accounted for, and this data is based on a 14-day moving average.

Data source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html

Matt

Re: When can we start calling this a pandemic of the vaccinated?

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:32 am

The dumb motherfuckers that are NOT vaccinated are prolonging this.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:38 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:32 am
This is either the worst attempt at trolling in the history of the Buzzboard, or else you have the reading and comprehension skills of a houseplant. An un-watered houseplant at that.

Can YOU explain why cases are on the rise in the most heavily vaccinated states while remaining flat in the lowest?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am

I'd love to see the case rates compared from the states with the most severe lockdown measures versus the states with the least lockdown measures.

For example on November 20th Florida had 1,379 hospitalizations with 55 deaths versus Michigan with 3,431 hospitalizations and 76 deaths.
Last edited by Bryce on Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:49 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:38 am
Matt wrote:
This is either the worst attempt at trolling in the history of the Buzzboard, or else you have the reading and comprehension skills of a houseplant. An un-watered houseplant at that.

Can YOU explain why cases are on the rise in the most heavily vaccinated states while remaining flat in the lowest?
I'm really beginning to think it's the latter. I used to think he/she/they put some thought into his/her/their posts but lately I'm just really wondering if that was ever the case.

Interesting data. Thanks for posting. If it was really "the unvaccinated" causing issues then you'd definitely see a correlation with higher rates in the lower vaccinated states.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:57 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am
I'd love to see the case rates compared from the states with the most severe lockdown measures versus the states with the least lockdown measures.

For example on November 20th Florida had 1,379 hospitalizations with 55 deaths versus Michigan with 3,431 hospitalizations and 76 deaths.
You may find this one interesting: New Jersey and New York, despite having some of the highest vaccination rates in the country right now (67 and 68 percent respectively) and some of the strictest lockdown policies in the country in 2020, have the 3rd and 6th highest cumulative per-capita death tolls in the country at 318 per 100k in New Jersey and 291 per 100k in New York.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:06 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:49 am
Interesting data. Thanks for posting. If it was really "the unvaccinated" causing issues then you'd definitely see a correlation with higher rates in the lower vaccinated states.
I believe it is a combination of two things. First, I think the unvaccinated feel invincible and mostly have abandoned all other methods that actually do help slow the spread. Moreover in this regard, the CDC quarantine recommendations aren't helping matters any (specifically, that vaccinated people need not do anything even if heavily exposed to a sick person except if and when they develop symptoms, at which time they have already been contagious for 2-3 days). The second is the plunging efficacy rates of the vaccine over time - and for that matter, over a relatively short time (along the order of falling from 92% efficacy to around 55% efficacy after only 6 months).

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:38 am
Matt wrote:

I directly responded to your anti-vax trolling. There is no need to comprehend your red herring arguments that you put forward.
Bryce wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am

I opposed the lockdowns, but Michigan hasn't been locked down in 9 1/2 months. Florida had severe issues during the summer, and Michigan is experiencing them now. When ICU hospitalizations at a major hospital system in our state are 94% unvaccinated people (https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... -says.html), that should tell you something.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:54 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 am
There is no need to comprehend your red herring arguments that you put forward.
Cases are rising in the most unvaccinated states and you have no explanation as to why. Got it.
Matt wrote:
...When ICU hospitalizations at a major hospital system in our state are 94% unvaccinated people...
Just keep moving those goal posts.
First it was a 14-day pause.
Then it was flattening the curve.
Then it was slowing the spread.
Then it was vaccines will allow us to return to normal by drastically reducing the spread.
Then it was vaccines will allow us to return to normal, as long as you still wear a mask.
Then it was vaccines will allow us to return to normal, as long as you still wear a mask, and as long as you get a booster.
Then it was vaccines will at least keep you out of the hospital.
Now it is vaccines will at least keep you out of the ICU.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:57 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:54 am
Matt wrote:
Cases are rising in the most unvaccinated states and you have no explanation as to why. Got it.
Cases are rising in the most unvaccinated states BECAUSE people are unvaccinated. Not a difficult concept...

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:59 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:57 am
bmw wrote:
Matt wrote:
Cases are rising in the most unvaccinated states BECAUSE people are unvaccinated. Not a difficult concept...
UGH. Way to be a smartass and latch on to a typo. Vaccinated states. Cases are rising in the most vaccinated states while remaining flat in the least vaccinated.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:06 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:59 am
Matt wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:57 am
bmw wrote:
Matt wrote:
UGH. Way to be a smartass and latch on to a typo. Vaccinated states. Cases are rising in the most vaccinated states while remaining flat in the least vaccinated.
Florida's vaccination rate far outpaces Michigan's. Michigan is currently the epicenter in this country.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:17 pm

So now you want to cherry-pick, namely because you like DeSantis and hate Whitmer (certainly perfectly acceptable opinions, but irrelevant here). I'm looking at the trend line (or known in statistics as the line of best fit) for all 50 states. Per-capita case rates are 29% higher in the highest vaccinated states than they are in the lowest vaccinated states, on average. I'm asking if you have an explanation for this. You apparently do not. I've given 2 theories. Perhaps comment on those first?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:46 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:17 pm
So now you want to cherry-pick, namely because you like DeSantis and hate Whitmer (certainly perfectly acceptable opinions, but irrelevant here). I'm looking at the trend line (or known in statistics as the line of best fit) for all 50 states. Per-capita case rates are 29% higher in the highest vaccinated states than they are in the lowest vaccinated states, on average. I'm asking if you have an explanation for this. You apparently do not. I've given 2 theories. Perhaps comment on those first?
I'll level with you: It is clear unvaccinated are generally having the worst of covid almost universally, both in hospitalizations and death rates. That alone is enough to convince me that getting vaccinated and getting boosters is the right thing to do. I am ready to resume pre-pandemic life - no more masks, no more having to deal with people that are vaccinated and scared that they could get covid from their own shadow.

Having said that, not enough time has passed and there isn't clear data suggesting any theories that ANYONE has put forth, although I would say it does seem that vaccination makes it less likely for one to get seriously sick or die. I also believe that vaccinated people can very likely have an asymptomatic case that can be passed to unvaccinated people. Of course, being unvaccinated is a choice, even with federal mandates.

I don't get why some people are so strongly anti-vax. I see Austria locking down, and it makes me nervous, especially with people insisting that lockdowns work, when that couldn't be further from the truth. I can't believe that ANYONE thinks that Anthony Fauci is a credible person. I just want to move past it, and it seems that widespread vaccination is the only way that happens.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:18 pm

Houseplant??? :rollin

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic