Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Some people are just naturally resistant to catching Covid

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Some people are just naturally resistant to catching Covid

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:17 am

After reading this article, I suspect I may be one of these people. I worked at a school as a tech person for 4 years and I'm not exaggerating when I say I caught every virus that went through the school, sometimes getting a cold or flu as frequently as every 4 or 5 weeks. In my last 2 years there, I was probably sick 5 or 6 times per year. It got so bad that I nearly quit my job just because of that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59207466
A team at University College London said some people had a degree of Covid-immunity before the pandemic started. This likely came from the body learning how to fight viruses that are related to the one which has swept the world. Upgrading vaccines to copy this protection, could make the jabs even more effective, the team said.

The scientists were closely monitoring hospital staff during the first wave of the pandemic - including by taking regular blood samples.
Despite being in a high-risk environment, not everyone in the study came down with Covid. The results, published in the journal Nature, showed some people just managed to avoid the virus.

Blood samples showed these people already had (as in before the pandemic) protective T-cells, which recognise and kill cells infected with Covid. Dr Leo Swadling, one of the researchers, said their immune systems were already "poised" to fight the new disease. These T-cells were able to spot a different part of the virus than the bit most of the current vaccines train the immune system to find.
So basically, natural immunity WITHOUT having to actually get Covid.

ALSO - found this article from 2011 titled "Swine flu offers 'extraordinary super immunity'" - right after my time working at the school, I caught the secondary wave of H1N1 flu that was around in 2015. I got so sick from that there was one day I wondered if I was going to die. I couldn't even sit up in bed. That was 2015. Interestingly enough, I haven't had a single cold or flu (or Covid) since then.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-12152500

TC Talks

Re: Some people are just naturally resistant to catching Covid

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Great, until we come up with a protocol to identify that in a broad scientifically acceptable way I'm all for mandating you have a vaccine to be employed, attend public gatherings, entering other countries, and hopefully flying.

I'm not against the idea of not being vaccinated if you don't need it, I'm against a few exceptions trying to distract sound scientifically supported decisions. This virus doesn't end on natural immunity alone without substantial disruptions to the economy.

I think much of the inflation can be blamed on those who have chosen not to get vaccinated. It's created productivity problems in our factories, staffing issues in the service category and let's not get started with supply chain logistics.

This gray area doubt that people like you have created is why our economy is messed up right now.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Motown322

Re: Some people are just naturally resistant to catching Covid

Post by Motown322 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:32 pm

If you were getting sick once every 6 weeks, that sounds like an underperforming immune system to me. Might wanna think about getting the vaccine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic