Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I thought it was unemployment's fault...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 9015

I thought it was unemployment's fault...

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:53 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... heir-jobs/
“[Employees] don’t want to return to backbreaking or boring, low wage, sh-t jobs,” Robert Reich, former U.S. Secretary of Labor in the Clinton Administration, tells TIME. “Workers are burned out. They’re fed up. They’re fried. In the wake of so much hardship, and illness and death during the past year, they’re not going to take it anymore.”

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, says that the conditions are good for workers to exert pressure on their employers. “For at least two generations, workers have been on their back heels,” he explains. “We are now seeing a labor market that is tight and prospects are becoming increasingly clear that it’s going to remain tight. It’s now going to be a workers’ market, and they’re empowered. I think they are starting to flex their collective muscle.”

There’s no single factor driving workforce behavior, economists add. It’s more of a grab bag of diffuse burdens. Wages aren’t keeping up with surging prices. Low-wage jobs often lack opportunities for career growth. A crumbling childcare industry is driving up daycare costs, making work unaffordable. Those who have remained in jobs face increasing responsibility and grueling work conditions punctuated by fears of the next variant of COVID-19. And then there’s just plain old vanilla pandemic fatigue.

Data from big employers across the country suggest that vaccine mandates aren’t playing much of a role. Roughly 99% of Michigan’s Henry Ford Health System’s 33,000 employees complied with its vaccine mandate, according to the local NBC affiliate. In Washington State, University of Washington hospitals reported 97% of staff were vaccinated by the end of September, according to local NPR station KUOW. More than 90% of Tyson Foods’ 120,000-person workforce were vaccinated in the same time frame.

craig11152

Re: I thought it was unemployment's fault...

Post by craig11152 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:55 am

So what are people doing for money now to buy food and pay the bills?

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:02 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:55 am
So what are people doing for money now to buy food and pay the bills?
You'd think a decent journalist would ask those questions. Are these folks cutting back and living within their means? Are they running up debt? Who's paying for their housing.... mom and dad?

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:30 am

I think its a big mix of a lot of things. The biggest thing is that employers are putting out help wanted signs but have preferred to resorting to overworking their workers for so long, they're burnt out. They don't wanna hire, don't wanna train. Imagine requiring half a decade of experience for an entry level position. That's what some of these fools are doing.

Where my wife works, they are requiring people to work an hour a day, expect two hours of overtime, and come in on the weekend. That puts her at 60-70 hours a week. People are sick of that bullshit.

There should be no reason that wages lay as flat as they had over the past 40 years and the demand upon workers had grown as much as it has. Workers are required to give so much more but get so little back in return. Remember when your parents worked a 9-5? Didn't have to stay a slave to their cell phone? Anyone who thinks that the current work environment is a fair trade is a cuckold and a wimp.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm

Nice rant but didn't touch my question.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:36 pm

I myself don't know anyone not working. Just about everyone I know is making good money and good benefits.
But I run with people who have gray matter between their ears.

I'll give you an example. I have a friend that got laid off. She walks into SVS Vision with zero prior optical knowledge. They trained her in a half a day how to fit people for glasses. She makes more money than the old job. The benefits are better.
And she gets bonuses for selling $500 glasses to old folks that will say yes to anything you tell them to.

This is called thinking outside the box. Driving down the road and seeing a business with cars in the lot, taking 3 minutes, and throwing in an application. I would run out of fingers on both hands counting the number of "no previous experience required" jobs paying 20+ an hour that can't get anyone because Mert and Gert are unwilling or unable to leave Dollar General.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:25 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm
I didn't know I quoted you or referenced you in my post!

Since I'm apparently obligated to give a thorough response to you, let me see what I can do.

From what I have read, its a combination of spending into savings, participating in the rise of the gig economy, and retiring.

People have been able to save more because student loans have been in a period of forbearance for the past year and a half, and other policies have put a freeze on bill collectors collecting what is due. That is untenable.

https://www.boston.com/news/college/202 ... -on-women/

The rise of the gig economy is a big thing. You don't even need a skill to get a gig that will afford you an okay lifestyle. Uber/Lyft drivers can make upwards of $30 bucks an hour. Writers can make limitless money blogging and writing other content. Web designers, app developers, etc. can do better on their own than working for someone else if they know where to advertise and who to advertise to. Then you have all sorts of things you can do if you look half-way decent. Onlyfans, chaturbate, all of that is open to you.

https://fortune.com/2021/04/21/gig-work ... xecutives/

Then you have retirees. If you look over the course of time how retirement ages have trended, it does seem that people were hanging around a bit longer in the workforce. Seems the last few years were the last straw. It sorta makes sense. Old people are tech averse and want to avoid working around others who could get them sick... er... "Natural Immunity".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... tting-job/

I do apologize for not responding to you personally before, Craig. I will try to keep in mind my obligations in the future. Also, apologies that these sources aren't referenced in APA or given in-text citations. If you require a revision, please let me know. I will try to keep my opinions to myself on a topic in the future.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Fuck off asshole. you made a comment based on the first two responses, one was mine and was one in response to mine.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:00 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:17 pm
Fuck off asshole. you made a comment based on the first two responses, one was mine and was one in response to mine.
calm down.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:04 pm

People are going to a gig economy. Lots of people I know are doing DoorDash, Uber, Lyft, and other delivery services not named Amazon.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:41 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:04 pm
People are going to a gig economy. Lots of people I know are doing DoorDash, Uber, Lyft, and other delivery services not named Amazon.
I thought that cutting unemployment was gonna mean getting back to the good ol' days. I think people are realizing that the trajectory we have been on since Reagan's blunder had demolished the economy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lif ... d=msedgntp

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:09 pm

Here’s a great video on how gentrification screwed the people of Oakland. Many of them doctors, blue collar people, and living in the streets.

https://youtu.be/yRWmKh13b50

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic