Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

We don't need additional restrictions from businesses or government overreach - we need the truth

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

We don't need additional restrictions from businesses or government overreach - we need the truth

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:31 pm

I believe the covid pandemic is over - it is now endemic. People are free to make their own choices on vaccination, although I recommend most people should, in consultation with your doctor. We're at a point where it doesn't matter which was the best approach 18 months ago, or hell, even 9 months ago when Robert Gordon shut down our state. The issue is: where do we go from here? Are we comfortable with corporate media continuing to spread fear without context? Are we ok with the #TrustTheScience crew that are now suffering cave syndrome in spite of what science says dictating how we should live our lives? Are we OK with #science (even if unproven) dictating how we live our lives and determining which freedoms we are afforded?

Bottom line - we NEED candor and THE TRUTH from our elected officials. We are where we are and it doesn't matter what anyone's opinion was earlier when the pandemic was ongoing.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Re: We don't need additional restrictions from businesses or government overreach - we need the truth

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm

For once, we almost agree on something. The epidemic is still raging, but it's among the people who choose not to be vaccinated. Why put restrictions on the rest of us for their irresponsible behavior?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

tapeisrolling

Re: We don't need additional restrictions from businesses or government overreach - we need the truth

Post by tapeisrolling » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:45 pm

Just like early on in this thing. If everyone had done what was asked the spread could have been stymied. Now with the variants, if the folks who have not gotten the shots would avoid any contact then the virus won't have a chance to morph into another variant so we can all go through the fun again.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 pm

We have had more cases reported for July 23rd 2021 than July 23rd 2020! Look it up, Matt! This is your "mission accomplished" moment.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 pm
We have had more cases reported for July 23rd 2021 than July 23rd 2020! Look it up, Matt! This is your "mission accomplished" moment.
Wrong - as usual when it comes to covid:

7/23/20 - 699 infections https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mic ... y-23-2020/

7/21 - 7/23/21 - 1,295 infections or ~431 infections https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus

Again, the thing is mutating and is becoming endemic. It isn't going away. Our elected officials need to tell is the truth.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 pm

Your data comparison isn't valid MCRF.

They were still reporting daily totals on 7/23/20. The total on 7/23/21 was a 3-day total. Better number to look at is the 7-day average. 658 in 2020, 414 in 2021.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:15 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:45 pm
...early on in this thing. If everyone had done what was asked the spread could have been stymied...
That is the biggest lie of all the lies. All that would have done is prolong the pandemic. This thing exists worldwide, not just in the US. The entire world will get to herd immunity with or without government intervention.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:10 pm
It isn't going away.
I'm not convinced of that yet. Main reason? It is SO contagious. I think it is inevitable that it infects so many people that it eventually runs out of hosts.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 pm
Matt wrote:
It isn't going away.
I'm not convinced of that yet. Main reason? It is SO contagious. I think it is inevitable that it infects so many people that it eventually runs out of hosts.
Problem with that theory is the ability of this one to mutate pretty rapidly and with enough of a change to be a concern, relative to other viruses at least. The more mutations there are, the more likely it is that this virus evolves to escape immunity - both vax and natural. Best way to prevent that is getting herd immunity as quickly as possible - that's the role vaccines really play.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:49 pm
Wrong - as usual when it comes to covid:

7/23/20 - 699 infections https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/mic ... y-23-2020/

7/21 - 7/23/21 - 1,295 infections or ~431 infections https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus

Again, the thing is mutating and is becoming endemic. It isn't going away. Our elected officials need to tell is the truth.
I am talking nationally!

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:39 pm
I am talking nationally!
Ok.

7-day average 7/23/20: 65,794
7-day average 7/23/21: 49,856

At least try to get truthful information before you rant.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 pm

Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:20 pm

Problem with looking at daily totals is that most states aren't reporting daily like they were in 2020.

There are spikes on days, like this past Friday, when there are more numbers reported from multiple days that skew the numbers when trying to compare a daily total to a year ago. The 7-day average is a better measure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic