Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Looking like I was right about Sweden

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Looking like I was right about Sweden

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:50 pm

I've repeatedly pointed to Sweden in defense of my argument that masks and government lockdowns don't work. I've also argued that by not delaying the spread of the pandemic that Sweden would reach herd immunity before everyone else, and that everyone else, including Sweden's neighbors (who others in here pointed to as supposed evidence that I was wrong about things working well in Sweden), would EVENTUALLY get what they had coming. Well.....you be the judge....

Source: IHME projection as of today. http://healthdata.org

So by November, Covid is projected to be 195x more rampant in Finland than in Sweden.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Looking like I was right about Sweden

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:42 pm

We are in July. Using a projection to prove an argument isn't exactly strong evidence.

If we look backward twelve months - i.e. actual documented history - there's no question Sweden had a much higher infection rate than Finland, and at times, the difference was extreme.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:37 am

Time to revisit this topic.

Current 1-day Covid reported cases (7-day moving averages) :

Sweden: 8.1 cases per 100k (with a 67.4% full vaccination rate)
Finland: 15.8 cases per 100k (with a 71.8 % full vaccination rate)
Norway: 34.6 cases per 100k (with a 70.2 % full vaccination rate)

Moreover, Sweden never got over 11 cases per day per 100k throughout the entire Delta wave.

The data here speaks for itself.
Last edited by bmw on Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:51 am

What is your source? Reuters has this: https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coro ... es/sweden/

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:56 am

My source is the COVID-19 Data Repository by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University

Read that number closely. "57 infections per 100K people reported last 7 days"

That's 57 per 100k for the entire week. Divide that by 7 and you get 8.1

And the math checks out if you divide the daily average of 838 cases per day into their population. and times that by 100k.

EDIT - I re-worded my post as it was unclear I was referring to single-day numbers (but based on 7-day moving averages).

EDOT #2 - here are the 3 graphs for comparison (based on raw data as opposed to per 100k as this is all I can get from Google, but you get the idea as far as trends. There's far more of a correlation between current case numbers and amount of accumulated natural immunity within a population than there is between current case numbers and vaccination rates).

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:50 pm

We can all cherry pick statistics. Here are some from Johns Hopkins as of 6 AM this morning

Covid deaths per 100,000
Norway 18.61
Finland 22.39
Denmark 48.07
Netherlands 111.19
Sweden 146.88

One could argue the end game for all of us with respect to covid is
1. Not to die
2. Not to suffer long term or permanent repercussions.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:08 pm

Those are lifetime totals. And yes, I will acknowledge that the death toll in Sweden is significantly higher than in those other places. AS OF TODAY.

That will change as time goes on.

And btw - the number for Michigan is 247 per 100k.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:10 pm

And I'm not cherry-picking anything. I was endlessly criticized in here last year for comparing Sweden to Michigan. Everyone said I should instead be comparing Sweden case numbers (and yes, it was case numbers that was the topic of conversation at the time, no deaths) to other countries in the region. That's what I'm doing here.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:00 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:08 pm
Those are lifetime totals. And yes, I will acknowledge that the death toll in Sweden is significantly higher than in those other places. AS OF TODAY.
Death toll? Who cares about death toll when you've got stats as good looking as what BMW has been showing us.

Thank you for verifying that you cherry pick data, but that your method is killing people almost 100 times more than vaccinated people. At this point who cares about infections, it's all about who lives.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:11 pm

100:1 ratio? That claim is verifiably utter BS.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:01 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:11 pm
Sorry, it's 12:1 for all vaccinated person who contract the virus. For those who have been responsible enough to get their booster 100:1 is probably too low.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:10 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:01 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:11 pm
Sorry, it's 12:1 for all vaccinated person who contract the virus. For those who have been responsible enough to get their booster 100:1 is probably too low.
Every adult is now eligible for a booster. Of course we still want the neanderthals that haven't received the initial shot to do the right thing.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:10 pm

You seriously suck at math. The correct ratio is 3:1. Go comb through the New York Times raw data that you've posted in here previously if you wish to verify. It may have been higher a few months back, and if that 12:1 number was accurate then, the only logical conclusion is that efficacy of the vaccine is plunging with every passing day.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:32 pm

When I was in college a friend told me that this philosophy professor told a story about how the birth rate in Sweden correlated with the heat of the sidewalks in New York. Later I took this same professor, and sure enough, he told the same story.

Not sure if that contributes any to the collective wisdom of this thread, but it's always a fun story to tell.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:38 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:10 pm
You seriously suck at math. The correct ratio is 3:1. Go comb through the New York Times raw data that you've posted in here previously if you wish to verify. It may have been higher a few months back, and if that 12:1 number was accurate then, the only logical conclusion is that efficacy of the vaccine is plunging with every passing day.
You're a piece of dirt, I don't give a shit about your math because you're advocating that people die. I hope everyone in your little shit town who hasn't vaccinated will suffer painfully over your advice. Michigan is going to a masking advisory thanks to people like you asshole. Thank you for advocating that Black Friday will essentially go to Amazon and not the local business.

In your little shit county, 6 people have died in the last week and the infection rate is 27%. What a complete failure.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic