Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mainstream media OBSESSED with Delta variant of Covid

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Mainstream media OBSESSED with Delta variant of Covid

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:09 am

They are running out of ventilators in southwest Missouri. But yeah, everything's FINE. Fucking Insane Nimrod Effect

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:33 pm

I thought this story out of Alabama was worth posting: https://www.al.com/news/2021/07/im-sorr ... ients.html

“I’m admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections,” wrote Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, in an emotional Facebook post Sunday. “One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

“A few days later when I call time of death,” continued Cobia on Facebook, “I hug their family members and I tell them the best way to honor their loved one is to go get vaccinated and encourage everyone they know to do the same.”

“They cry. And they tell me they didn’t know. They thought it was a hoax. They thought it was political. They thought because they had a certain blood type or a certain skin color they wouldn’t get as sick. They thought it was ‘just the flu’. But they were wrong. And they wish they could go back. But they can’t. So they thank me and they go get the vaccine. And I go back to my office, write their death note, and say a small prayer that this loss will save more lives.”

“I try to be very non-judgmental when I’m getting a new COVID patient that’s unvaccinated, but I really just started asking them, ‘Why haven’t you gotten the vaccine?’ And I’ll just ask it point blank, in the least judgmental way possible,” she said. “And most of them, they’re very honest, they give me answers. ‘I talked to this person, I saw this thing on Facebook, I got this email, I saw this on the news,’ you know, these are all the reasons that I didn’t get vaccinated.

“And the one question that I always ask them is, did you make an appointment with your primary care doctor and ask them for their opinion on whether or not you should receive the vaccine? And so far, nobody has answered yes to that question.”

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:09 am

The simple fact is it has been political and that has caused a lot of problems. It is not now nor has it ever been a political issue, it is a public health issue. Trump and or Biden, I don't give a fuck who takes credit and Trump saying that people aren't getting the vaccine because of the rigged election shows how far out of touch with reality he is. It is simple, the current crop of those getting sick are young people and those who haven't gotten vaccinated. I have taken such shit for getting the jabs and I don't care. Matter of fact the head of the local Republican Party and I went together to get our shots. It isn't political, it is smart people following the science and then it is dumb asses. Period.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:10 am

Can we just agree, that it's called "The Delta Variant of Covid 19" because it originated in India and, due to extreme political correctness and not wanting to offend anyone, we can't call, or say, it's really the "Indian Virus", because , well that's where it came from...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:43 am

Ya know, it might be easier for some folks to jump on the "get vaccinated" bandwagon if the people that are so indignant about the percentage of American's choosing not to get vaccinated weren't perfectly fine with hundreds of un-vaccinated people entering our country everyday at our Southern border.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:29 am

My stance is that everyone has the agency to make the decision to get vaccinated for themselves. I would personally strongly recommend vaccination as early indications show a higher degree of coincident antibodies in vaccinated individuals than in those with prior COVID infections. However, if it is your choice not to get vaccinated, the next best step is to continue self-imposing standard social distancing and masking protections.

From what I've seen, I am also okay with vaccinated people continuing to wear masks in crowded spaces given that vaccinations don't provide complete immunity; they are just extremely effective at preventing hospitalizations. Again, I leave that to each person to decide their personal comfort level.

However, with that much freedom of discretion comes personal responsibility. If you're not vaccinated and are deciding not to take COVID precautions, you are absolutely leaving yourself at higher risk of infection and hospitalization/death. The Delta wave will disproportionately affect poorly vaccinated regions harder than areas with higher vaccinated populations.

I would support vaccinations as a requirement for immigration, with the appropriate exemptions that applies to anyone else.

With all the necessary resources to combat COVID being available to just about anyone who wants them without any barriers, I do not think it is responsible to shutdown the economy again.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:03 am

jadednihilist wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:29 am
I would personally strongly recommend vaccination as early indications show a higher degree of coincident antibodies in vaccinated individuals than in those with prior COVID infections.
Show me a study that suggests that people with past Covid infections (ie, natural immunity) are getting re-infected at a higher rate than those without past infection who have been vaccinated. I have yet to see one.
From what I've seen, I am also okay with vaccinated people continuing to wear masks in crowded spaces given that vaccinations don't provide complete immunity.
Nothing in life is 100% safe, so if that is the standard, we should all be permanently living in sterile bubbles. Bottom line is if you believe the 95% efficacy numbers that the vaccines purport to have, then a random person without a flu shot is more likely to die from the flu than is that same person, being vaccinated from Covid, to die from Covid. Also, anything other than medical-grade masks basically do nothing. But hey, if people FEEL safer (even though in reality they aren't), then I guess they can go ahead and continue to wear their face diapers in public.
The Delta wave will disproportionately affect poorly vaccinated regions harder than areas with higher vaccinated populations.
...at which point this pandemic will be over as herd immunity will finally be fully reached.

All other points you made I agree with.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:37 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:03 am
jadednihilist wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:29 am
I would personally strongly recommend vaccination as early indications show a higher degree of coincident antibodies in vaccinated individuals than in those with prior COVID infections.
Show me a study that suggests that people with past Covid infections (ie, natural immunity) are getting re-infected at a higher rate than those without past infection who have been vaccinated. I have yet to see one.
I'm admittedly not keeping up with all of the COVID studies coming out, but this is a summary of the NIH-funded study that I was paraphrasing. I was incorrect in stating that there is a stronger antibody response in infected vs vaccinated people, but rather the antibodies in vaccinated people are less sensitive to mRNA changes in the variants than infected people. So, this only applies to certain variants, rather than the variant someone may have been infected with.

(Also note that the usual caveats with individual studies apply here as well)
From what I've seen, I am also okay with vaccinated people continuing to wear masks in crowded spaces given that vaccinations don't provide complete immunity.
Nothing in life is 100% safe, so if that is the standard, we should all be permanently living in sterile bubbles. Bottom line is if you believe the 95% efficacy numbers that the vaccines purport to have, then a random person without a flu shot is more likely to die from the flu than is that same person, being vaccinated from Covid, to die from Covid. Also, anything other than medical-grade masks basically do nothing. But hey, if people FEEL safer (even though in reality they aren't), then I guess they can go ahead and continue to wear their face diapers in public.
I don't disagree here, but I feel this is more analogous to personal tastes and situations. My argument here is essentially "you do you" and I'm not going to judge. COVID has certainly been traumatic for many and it may take some time for people to feel comfortable again, and that's fine, we all cope differently.
The Delta wave will disproportionately affect poorly vaccinated regions harder than areas with higher vaccinated populations.
...at which point this pandemic will be over as herd immunity will finally be fully reached.

All other points you made I agree with.
We are absolutely going to reach "herd immunity" one way or another and that COVID-19 is staying with us for the rest of our lives. I would prefer if we get there with vaccines and mitigate the deaths/hospitalization surges. That seems to be less of a gamble, especially for vulnerable groups, than vaccine side effects.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic