Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Because Congress has so little to do..

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

Because Congress has so little to do..

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:10 am

Republicans looking to improve approval ratings decide to waste Congress' time with....

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5611 ... gress-amid
GOP Reps. Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Burgess Owens (Ohio), Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) and Andy Biggs (Ariz.) penned a letter to [Britney] Spears on Wednesday inviting the singer to testify before Congress, writing “Please take advantage of the empowerment that public congressional testimony can unlock.”
Or are they really just looking for autographs and selfies

bmw

Re: Because Congress has so little to do..

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:31 am

My initial reaction based on the way you framed this here was that Congress was indeed wasting its time. But after reading the entire article and realizing that you cherry-picked a tiny portion of the letter and made your opinion based off that, I have changed my mind. Sometimes it takes a high-profile case to focus public attention on a problem in our legal system that needs reformed; this is nothing new. And if reform to this part of our legal code comes out of this, then I have no problem with it.

btw - you (no doubt intentionally) left out the part about this being a bi-partisan effort:

"Democrats also weighed in, with Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Bob Casey (Pa.) on Thursday asking Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra and Attorney General Merrick Garland to provide more data and information on the U.S. conservatorship system, citing Spears’ case as having highlighted “longstanding concerns from advocates who have underscored the potential for financial and civil rights abuses of individuals” under conservatorships or guardianships."

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:15 am

I have to agree with bmw here. This is a disabilities rights', and by extension, a human rights issue at its core. If someone as high profiled as Britney Spears can have all of her rights trampled, it's not hard to imagine how many other people are unjustly barred from managing their own lives.

Conservatorships should be limited to cases where a person actually does not have the agency to consent (i.e.: incapable of conversing), not someone who may make decisions for themselves that you may disagree with.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:59 pm

Oh I am SO SORRY I misled you about the Congresspersons who are doing their duty and certainly not grandstanding to get attention -
Representative Matt Gaetz, a Republican of Florida, has offered to represent Britney Spears as she seeks new counsel in her conservatorship battle.

Mr Gaetz worked briefly as a lawyer for a private firm before running for state representative.

Now he’s lended his legal experience to the pop singer.

“I would represent her for free,” Mr Gaetz wrote on Twitter while sharing an article about Spears’ legal battles.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Britney who?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic