Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Biden gets U.S. out of Afghanistan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
km1125

Re: Biden gets U.S. out of Afghanistan

Post by km1125 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:37 pm

I say it's beyond time that the U.N. should convene and get everybody to agree to break up Afghanistan into 10 or more sectors that would go to reach of the bordering countries. If they can't run the country without being a burden on the rest of the world, then they don't deserve to be a sovereign entity.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:24 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:40 pm
The pull out is quickly turning into a disaster.
A little over a month later, that is an understatement.

This today from NPR https://www.npr.org/2021/08/12/10271082 ... tal-cities
As of Thursday morning, the Taliban now has control of 10 provincial capital cities — effectively putting them in control of two-thirds of Afghanistan...

-People are flooding into Kabul from neighboring regions.

-Public parks in Kabul have become camps for displaced people.

-Food and fuel prices are rising as the Taliban blocks off import routes.

-The Taliban is rounding up people who have worked for the U.S. Military or Afghan government.

-O'Donnell said the atrocities on the battlefield are "horrific" and include bodies being mutilated and other things O'Donnell wouldn't go into on air.

-Women are being told to stay in their homes, unless accompanied by a male relative.

-Women are also being told they'll be rounded up and married off to Taliban fighters.

-Girls in those regions are being taken out of school, and girls schools are closed.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:37 pm

Where is the U.N. in all of this?? THEY need to step in with what is "acceptable" over there. We can HELP, but really this is the WORLD's problem.

If the Afghans can't control the Taliban, even with all the help they've had for the last decade, perhaps that land needs to be carved up and allocated to the surrounding countries.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:57 pm

I say we need to get MORE involved in Afghanistan. The Chinese are waiting to fill the vacuum once we leave. We can't let that happen.

Also, if Iran acts up, we will have troops on both sides (Iraq and Afghanistan) to move in fast if something nasty happens.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:54 pm

Let them fight their civil war. Enough with the nation building. Glad we got out.

And for the warmonger above, the last thing you want is to get in a pissing match with Iran.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:26 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:54 pm
Let them fight their civil war. Enough with the nation building. Glad we got out.
We are in agreement. No matter the aftermath, we should quit being the World Police Department.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:04 pm

I agree to a point - the point where the aftermath poses a direct threat to our national security. I don't think the situation is to that point yet, but it could be well on its way.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:48 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:04 pm
I agree to a point - the point where the aftermath poses a direct threat to our national security. I don't think the situation is to that point yet, but it could be well on its way.
Quite honestly the folks that ran wild though Washington DC on 1/6 represent more of a threat to our national security than some goat rancher tied up with the Taliban on the other side of the planet.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:13 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:37 pm
Where is the U.N. in all of this?
Your answer - they're encouraging other countries to open up their borders to refugees.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/afgha ... d/1032322/

What a pathetically weak response.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:41 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:04 pm
Holy crap, we actually agree on something. :lol

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:32 pm

resident Biden has released a lengthy statement on the crisis in Afghanistan. He announces a deployment of 5,000 U.S. troops to the country to ensure an "orderly and safe" drawdown.

He also blames President Trump for the current situation, saying he "inherited" a deal "that left the Taliban in the strongest position militarily since 2001 and imposed a May 1, 2021 deadline on US forces."

"I faced a choice—follow through on the deal, with a brief extension to get our forces and our allies’ forces out safely, or ramp up our presence and send more American troops to fight once again in another country’s civil conflict," he says.

Full statement here:

"Over the past several days I have been in close contact with my national security team to give them direction on how to protect our interests and values as we end our military mission in Afghanistan.

First, based on the recommendations of our diplomatic, military, and intelligence teams, I have authorized the deployment of approximately 5,000 US troops to make sure we can have an orderly and safe drawdown of US personnel and other allied personnel and an orderly and safe evacuation of Afghans who helped our troops during our mission and those at special risk from the Taliban advance.

Second, I have ordered our armed forces and our intelligence community to ensure that we will maintain the capability and the vigilance to address future terrorist threats from Afghanistan.

Third, I have directed the Secretary of State to support President Ghani and other Afghan leaders as they seek to prevent further bloodshed and pursue a political settlement. Secretary Blinken will also engage with key regional stakeholders.

Fourth, we have conveyed to the Taliban representatives in Doha, via our Combatant Commander, that any action on their part on the ground in Afghanistan, that puts US personnel or our mission at risk there, will be met with a swift and strong US military response.

Fifth, I have placed Ambassador Tracey Jacobson in charge of a whole of government effort to process, transport, and relocate Afghan special immigrant visa applicants and other Afghan allies. Our hearts go out to the brave Afghan men and women who are now at risk. We are working to evacuate thousands of those who helped our cause and their families.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:34 pm

I’ve wanted our troops out of Afghanistan (and the entire Middle East) for a looooooong time, but damn it’s sad to see everything we spent 20 years on likely being erased in the span of a few months.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:07 pm

No one takes joy in ceding the area back to the Taliban, but the fact is the majority are "meh" about democracy and cool with far right fundamentalist terrorists. My friend's brother fought over there and regularly saw them fucking goats and little kids like it's no big deal. I don't know why most don't leave like the Kurds or Chaldeans in Iraq. They are different and love their poppies too much to leave I guess.

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:39 pm

zzand wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:32 pm
He also blames President Trump for the current situation, saying he "inherited" a deal "that left the Taliban in the strongest position militarily since 2001 and imposed a May 1, 2021 deadline on US forces."
He also inherited a covid vaccine and distribution plan that he rarely acknowledges. The failure in Afghanistan is squarely on him and his administration.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:43 am

Now you know how the oldsters here felt when we finally pulled out of The Vietnam War. When we were kids it was on TV each night for years. Then one day - the now iconic TV images of helicopters on a roof - and panic - pervaded the nightly news.

It was all a political quagmire. Lives destroyed. Families destroyed. Money for nothing - but greed. “Peace With Honor” a farce.

Maybe Ol’ Joe learned via Vietnam - just get the hell out. No matter the ugliness and failure and shame. Just leave, damn it. Or you NEVER will!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic