Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

No More MacDonald in Canada

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 14896

No More MacDonald in Canada

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Another example of how a small minority of people can have more influence than the vast majority. Canad's first Prime Minister John McDonald is getting the boot from being on dollar bills. He's having his statue removed from various places. His name taken off buildings. 70 percent of Canadians opposed the erasure of Macdonald’s image, compared with only 11 percent who supported it. A poll in summer 2020 found that 75 percent of Canadians opposed the “spontaneous” tear down of Macdonald statues.

But that don't matter. Macdonald’s policies have fallen out of favor with the Canadian government and the dominant voices in Canadian media and academia.

Sound familiar?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ld/619236/

Turkeytop

Re: No More MacDonald in Canada

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Yes it's time for MacDonald and his legacy of racism and genocide to go. Good riddance.

His image was never on the dollar bill. We don't even have a dollar bill. He was on the $10 bill and was replaced about a year ago by civil rights crusader.Viola Desmond.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:07 pm

Canada adores Trudeau.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:55 pm
Yes it's time for MacDonald and his legacy of racism and genocide to go. Good riddance.

His image was never on the dollar bill. We don't even have a dollar bill. He was on the $10 bill and was replaced about a year ago by civil rights crusader.Viola Desmond.
$1 $10 Both are dollar bills. You know what I meant. I read the article. I knew it was a $10. Didn't think anyone would get that picky.

Could you expound on just how racist MacDonald was? Reading the article, it don't get into racism and genocide. And of course we can both agree every news source has an angle to the story.

And lastly, an important question.
If the article is correct, 75 percent of Canadians do not agree with you. Should your opinion override theirs?

Should 1 out of 4 have more of a say than 3 out of 4, even if MacDonald is guilty of all charges? Or should there be a bit of forgive and forgot about things that happened 150 years ago?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm

If the article is correct, 75 percent of Canadians do not agree with you. Should your opinion override theirs
A nation needs to be guided by what is morally right, not by what is popular. The survey cited in Frum's article is from 2018. Believe me. Public opinion has changed in 2021 as we continue to find the graves of the children.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:07 pm
Canada adores Trudeau.
:rollin

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 pm

LOL

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:08 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:55 pm

$1 $10 Both are dollar bills. You know what I meant. I read the article. I knew it was a $10. Didn't think anyone would get that picky.

Could you expound on just how racist MacDonald was? Reading the article, it don't get into racism and genocide. And of course we can both agree every news source has an angle to the story.

And lastly, an important question.
If the article is correct, 75 percent of Canadians do not agree with you. Should your opinion override theirs?

Should 1 out of 4 have more of a say than 3 out of 4, even if MacDonald is guilty of all charges? Or should there be a bit of forgive and forgot about things that happened 150 years ago?
They are digging up the previously unknown graves of dead children for god sakes…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:07 pm
Canada adores Trudeau.
Got me good, Matt. You've waited a long time for that. :lol

Sadly, there may be some truth in your words. We are having an election later this year and it's widely expected the Liberals will prevail.

The Conservatives are too busy fighting among each other to mount any serious effort against the Liberals.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm

A nation needs to be guided by what is morally right, not by what is popular.
Who decides what is morally right?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:27 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm

A nation needs to be guided by what is morally right, not by what is popular.
Who decides what is morally right?
I guess MacDonald decided it was morally right to forcibly separate native children from their families and ship them off to residential schools, hundreds of miles from their homes.

That's worse than Trump did with the immigrant children. These kids were our own citizens.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:28 pm

That didn't answer the question.

Make it simple. Make me king of Canada, I'll decide.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Some things are just so obviously immoral and egregious no one has to decide.

Who got to decide on the morality of the 9-11 terrorists?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 pm
Some things are just so obviously immoral and egregious no one has to decide.

Who got to decide on the morality of the 9-11 terrorists?
We have a group of politicians in elected office in our country at this moment that think the 9/11 terrorist attacks were morally justified.

You know some people, did some things.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Hey... bartender.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic