Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

While Michigan’s Electricity Rates Increase, Reliability Suffers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:06 am

And the hits keep coming:

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, research shows
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/1- ... d=msedgntp

https://www.mackinac.org/while-michigan ... ty-suffers

GM is even walking back it's all electric plans - of course that DIDN'T make the news.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Re: While Michigan’s Electricity Rates Increase, Reliability Suffers

Post by km1125 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:12 pm

Had a friend from FL visit here in MI just a week ago. They drove their Tesla Model 3. Took them NINE EXTRA HOURS to get back home. They didn't start with a full charge.

Our press organizations are doing a horrible job at keeping on top of the power utilities, rate increases and the government impacts on the costs. Just as a simple example, they rarely add the effects of state-required taxes onto the per-kWh costs when making cost comparisons or describing rate increases. I wonder how much extra tax revenues the state will make on Consumers' plan to charge 50% more for electricity during prime-time?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 pm

With solar panels now selling for as low as $80 per 100-watt panel, even with installation and inverter costs, the recovery time on such an investment is down to like 3-5 years with then 20 years of free electricity. I'm very seriously considering supplementing my Consumers-provided power with some solar panels in the next year or two.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:57 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 pm
With solar panels now selling for as low as $80 per 100-watt panel, even with installation and inverter costs, the recovery time on such an investment is down to like 3-5 years with then 20 years of free electricity. I'm very seriously considering supplementing my Consumers-provided power with some solar panels in the next year or two.
Where are you seeing those kinds of packages with installation and inverter for that kind of money?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Maybe I should start a new thread with this query:

What is the reluctance about building nuclear power plants? Is it fear of an accident? Is it the cost to construct? Just seems to me that atomic energy would be something "Go Green" proponents would embrace.

Thanks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:14 pm

I think that ship has sailed.

Chernobyl put on life support and Fukushima finished it off.

One was broken by morons, the other by a natural disaster.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:33 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:57 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Where are you seeing those kinds of packages with installation and inverter for that kind of money?
I should have worded that better. I meant "even after you also add on installation and inverter costs..."

Inverters are a rabbit hole in and of themselves and costs vary drastically depending on just how safe and "legal" you want to be. Unfortunately even Amazon is flooded with cheap Chinese inverters that could burn your house donw.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic