Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

D - Day

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

D - Day

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:00 am

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

jadednihilist

Re: D - Day

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Why would anyone set the bar at the atrocities of Nazi Germany?

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:45 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:17 pm
Because oddly enough, many of the people that claim America is systemically racist also support groups that call for the destruction of Israel and death to all Jews.

I answered your question.
Wanna take a shot at mine?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:52 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:45 pm
jadednihilist wrote:
Because oddly enough, many of the people that claim America is systemically racist also support groups that call for the destruction of Israel and death to all Jews.

Sure. I have no problem calling out anti-Semitic hate speech and violence that pervades a faction of the left. That rhetoric is despicable and counterproductive to anti-racist causes. I won't pretend to have any solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict other than to say that I wish to live to see the day that both sides learn to coexist peacefully.

Systemic racism in America is an entirely different beast with little bearing to this topic, though.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:52 pm
Bryce wrote:
jadednihilist wrote:

Sure. I have no problem calling out anti-Semitic hate speech and violence that pervades a faction of the left. That rhetoric is despicable and counterproductive to anti-racist causes. I won't pretend to have any solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict other than to say that I wish to live to see the day that both sides learn to coexist peacefully.
That really didn't answer the question I posed in the photo montage I put together in remembrance of D-Day.
jadednihilist wrote:

Systemic racism in America is an entirely different beast with little bearing to this topic, though.
I beg to differ. Although technically, the Jewish people are more a religion than a race, I find it hard to fathom a country founded in white supremacy and systemic racism spending it's treasure and experiencing the loss of life it did in WWII if that were the case.

Maybe that's why so many on the left are so vehemently against Israel. They are a standing monument that fly's in the face of the "critical race" theory people.

Earlier. Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn, a critical race theory proponent, tweeted, "We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban," This elected leader, a vaunted member of the Democrat party, dares to compare Hamas and the Taliban to the U.S. and Israel. NOT ONE FUCKING DEMOCRAT has called her out. Explain that Lucy!

And while I'm at it...

Robyn Robbins on the keyboards, from Grosse Pointe, Mi. Ooops wrong album. Ahem, why hasn't any media outlet asked the mother of the year, Rashida "Impeach the mother fucker" Tlaib, a "critical race theory" proponent, about the treatment of homosexuals and the LGBTQRSTUVW community by Palestinians and Hamas which she so vehemently supports?
The armed wing of Palestinian militant group Hamas executed one of the group's leading commanders after allegations surfaced of gay sex and theft, it has been revealed.

Members of the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades shot Mahmoud Ishtiwi, 34, three times in the chest after they had detained him for a year, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

Hamas announced that the man in charge of a number of the group's tunnels used for smuggling and surprise attacks had been executed for moral turpitude, a Hamas term for homosexuality.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:07 pm

If Ilhan Omar had been alive in 1944, she would have said "somebody [as in the Nazis] did something".

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 pm
jadednihilist wrote:
Bryce wrote:
jadednihilist wrote:

That really didn't answer the question I posed in the photo montage I put together in remembrance of D-Day.
My apologies - I misunderstood the question you wanted me to answer. I'm sure you'd get a wide array of opinions just like you would with any random sample of people. However, I would believe a general consensus would revolve around moving towards equity in opportunity and equal justice under of the law. Techniques to combat incidents of racism, such as bystander intervention were, at least in part, developed by Holocaust survivors so that never again would anyone turn a blind eye to afflicted traumas.
jadednihilist wrote:

I beg to differ. Although technically, the Jewish people are more a religion than a race, I find it hard to fathom a country founded in white supremacy and systemic racism spending it's treasure and experiencing the loss of life it did in WWII if that were the case.
America did not join World War II to stop the Holocaust. The true atrocities of the Holocaust were not known until the end of the war. While it's true that FDR had long wanted to join in the war, we held off until the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Furthermore, pre-WWII America was absolutely white supremacist. Eugenics was a mainstream and accepted "science" practiced the support of the federal government and our top institutions -- all to justify creating the "perfect" human and to treat other people as incapable subhumans.
Maybe that's why so many on the left are so vehemently against Israel. They are a standing monument that fly's in the face of the "critical race" theory people.
There's a difference between being critical against Israeli policy and outright anti-Semitism. It is worth noting that conflating Israel with all Jewish people is a form of anti-Semitism as it unfairly generalizes the views of all Jewish people. You can support Israeli right of sovereignty and security while also advocating for the protection of basic human rights for Arab Israelis and Palestinians. You can do all of the above while also being highly critical of Hamas and their habits of playing "chicken" with their own people. The conflict between Israel and Palestine is deep-seeded, complex, and absolutely brutal.
Earlier. Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn, a critical race theory proponent, tweeted, "We have seen unthinkable atrocities committed by the U.S., Hamas, Israel, Afghanistan, and the Taliban," This elected leader, a vaunted member of the Democrat party, dares to compare Hamas and the Taliban to the U.S. and Israel. NOT ONE FUCKING DEMOCRAT has called her out. Explain that Lucy!
I'm not going to defend every crazy thing any left-leaning person says or does. I'd like to think I do a pretty good job of calling out bad behavior, regardless of who does it. I am often critical of the Democratic party, both here, and in real life. I despise the two party system and partisanship in general. I prefer to focus on the issues and the merit of their solutions. Despite my own personal left leanings, I have voted for multiple Republican and Independent candidates in general elections in the past and can name several conservative thinkers for which I have great respect.
And while I'm at it...

Robyn Robbins on the keyboards, from Grosse Pointe, Mi. Ooops wrong album. Ahem, why hasn't any media outlet asked the mother of the year, Rashida "Impeach the mother fucker" Tlaib, a "critical race theory" proponent, about the treatment of homosexuals and the LGBTQRSTUVW community by Palestinians and Hamas which she so vehemently supports?
The armed wing of Palestinian militant group Hamas executed one of the group's leading commanders after allegations surfaced of gay sex and theft, it has been revealed.

Members of the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades shot Mahmoud Ishtiwi, 34, three times in the chest after they had detained him for a year, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

Hamas announced that the man in charge of a number of the group's tunnels used for smuggling and surprise attacks had been executed for moral turpitude, a Hamas term for homosexuality.
The world is complex and not binary. You can be both highly supportive and highly critical at the same time. I absolutely despise Trump and Trumpism, however, I have credited his administration for their efforts in expediting the development and deployment of COVID-19 vaccines. During the 2016 campaign, I also thought he did a great job at bringing unfair trade practices and agreements to the forefront - although I ended up disagreeing with how chaotically his administration managed the trade wars.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:13 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:37 pm
Bryce wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:25 pm
jadednihilist wrote:
Bryce wrote:
jadednihilist wrote:

My apologies - I misunderstood the question you wanted me to answer. I'm sure you'd get a wide array of opinions just like you would with any random sample of people. However, I would believe a general consensus would revolve around moving towards equity in opportunity and equal justice under of the law. Techniques to combat incidents of racism, such as bystander intervention were, at least in part, developed by Holocaust survivors so that never again would anyone turn a blind eye to afflicted traumas.
jadednihilist wrote:

America did not join World War II to stop the Holocaust. The true atrocities of the Holocaust were not known until the end of the war. While it's true that FDR had long wanted to join in the war, we held off until the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Furthermore, pre-WWII America was absolutely white supremacist. Eugenics was a mainstream and accepted "science" practiced the support of the federal government and our top institutions -- all to justify creating the "perfect" human and to treat other people as incapable subhumans.
There's a difference between being critical against Israeli policy and outright anti-Semitism. It is worth noting that conflating Israel with all Jewish people is a form of anti-Semitism as it unfairly generalizes the views of all Jewish people. You can support Israeli right of sovereignty and security while also advocating for the protection of basic human rights for Arab Israelis and Palestinians. You can do all of the above while also being highly critical of Hamas and their habits of playing "chicken" with their own people. The conflict between Israel and Palestine is deep-seeded, complex, and absolutely brutal.
I'm not going to defend every crazy thing any left-leaning person says or does. I'd like to think I do a pretty good job of calling out bad behavior, regardless of who does it. I am often critical of the Democratic party, both here, and in real life. I despise the two party system and partisanship in general. I prefer to focus on the issues and the merit of their solutions. Despite my own personal left leanings, I have voted for multiple Republican and Independent candidates in general elections in the past and can name several conservative thinkers for which I have great respect.
And while I'm at it...

The world is complex and not binary. You can be both highly supportive and highly critical at the same time. I absolutely despise Trump and Trumpism, however, I have credited his administration for their efforts in expediting the development and deployment of COVID-19 vaccines. During the 2016 campaign, I also thought he did a great job at bringing unfair trade practices and agreements to the forefront - although I ended up disagreeing with how chaotically his administration managed the trade wars.
Trump had hardly anything to do with the deployment of the vaccines. Most of that clout should be sent to the county governments, governors, and also the hard working men and women within our healthcare systems. God bless them for working 60-80 hour weeks while only asking that people stay home during the pandemic peaks.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:28 pm

Operation Warp Speed is a product of the Trump administration and it successfully leveraged the strengths of the public and private sectors to expedite the R&D, approval, and distribution of the COVID-19 vaccines. Any reasonable outlet acknowledges that, including The Atlantic and The New York Times. That doesn't negate the hard work that countless people did to contribute to this effort. I specifically pointed this out as an example of multiple things being true - and how you can simultaneously provide praise and criticism without contradiction.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:18 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
You can support Israeli right of sovereignty and security while also advocating for the protection of basic human rights for Arab Israelis and Palestinians.
What percentage of the population of Israel is Arab? Do those Arabs living within Israel have rights?

What percentage of the Palestinian territory is Jewish?

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:19 pm

Yes, those Arabs living within Israel have rights.

There are probably a few Jews living in Palestinian territory, but not many.
Last edited by paul8539 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:30 pm

A famous quote from D-Day, by Brigadier General Teddy Roosevelt, Jr., on Utah beach:

We will start the war from right here.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:09 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:19 pm
There are probably a few Jews living in Palestinian territory, but not many.
Because they all get assassinated.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:11 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:18 pm
jadednihilist wrote:
You can support Israeli right of sovereignty and security while also advocating for the protection of basic human rights for Arab Israelis and Palestinians.
What percentage of the population of Israel is Arab? Do those Arabs living within Israel have rights?

What percentage of the Palestinian territory is Jewish?
My apologies for such a late reply. It's been a hectic period for me.

I will say that these are really loaded questions that make it impossible to factor in one of the largest components of the regional conflict: territory disputes. Palestinian-controlled territories have been in a state of retreat since 1948 with three primary, but geographically separate areas: Gaza, the West Bank, and Golan Heights. Just because borders move, doesn't everyone moves with them (see: implications of the Monroe Doctrine/Manifest Destiny).

The Arab Israelis have rights, but they are fundamentally different than the rights enjoyed by the Jewish population. One example would be that Arab Israelis are not required to provide military service, but service members and veterans have access to societal benefits that other's do not. On paper, that may seem fair, but when you consider the implications of military service to your own personal interests, you can see where it gets messy.

Now, this post may seem overly critical on Israeli policy, but I want to make it clear that the Palestinian government also carries a large degree of blame for the evolution of the conflict over the years. Aligning your government with those who wish for the outright obliteration of the Israeli state and completely flipping the tables is a terrible pathway towards lasting peace.

All that said, I really don't have the answers in resolving this conflict other than to say that if you're suffering as much as the people are over there, it's hard not to see why there is so much anger and resentment on both sides.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic