Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What should be done about China?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
G G

Re: What should be done about China?

Post by G G » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 am

We aren't nearly dependent on them as people like to say we are. I can honestly say that I believe that the swiftness of capitalist enterprise to fill gaps and to do so with shocking efficiency and cost savings, as well as the advanced knowledge that exists about supply chains would result in filling any gap left by a reduction or complete removal of china from the world market, and it would result in happier consumers and stronger international relations. And if they come a-callin' looking to cash in those bonds, I have two fingers for Xi.

Flush them.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am

I think a trade embargo the likes of what we've had on Cuba for many years would get China's attention. Our annual trade deficit with China over the past decade or so has been around $325 billion per year.

I mean seriously - would such a trade embargo do more damage to our country than what Covid has done to it?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:17 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am
I think a trade embargo the likes of what we've had on Cuba for many years would get China's attention. Our annual trade deficit with China over the past decade or so has been around $325 billion per year.

I mean seriously - would such a trade embargo do more damage to our country than what Covid has done to it?
Short term pain - but long term manufacturing benefits.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:07 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am

The short term pain would be far worse. Take the chip shortages for cars and multiply it by 1000 or so. The reason the chip shortage is as bad as it is happens to be because that was THE chip factory that burned down. Not just A chip factory. So now there isn’t one to make those computer chips. Who knows how many other things are China exclusive like that.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:59 pm

G G wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 am
We aren't nearly dependent on them as people like to say we are. I can honestly say that I believe that the swiftness of capitalist enterprise to fill gaps and to do so with shocking efficiency and cost savings, as well as the advanced knowledge that exists about supply chains would result in filling any gap left by a reduction or complete removal of china from the world market, and it would result in happier consumers and stronger international relations. And if they come a-callin' looking to cash in those bonds, I have two fingers for Xi.

Flush them.

And why would corporations want to spend more on manufacturing than they have to? Because they are patriotic? You're retarded if you believe that.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:53 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:07 pm
The short term pain would be far worse. Take the chip shortages for cars and multiply it by 1000 or so. The reason the chip shortage is as bad as it is happens to be because that was THE chip factory that burned down. Not just A chip factory. So now there isn’t one to make those computer chips. Who knows how many other things are China exclusive like that.
I'd like to know if China is the only one that can make it. Slight difference between saying China is the only one that makes it, and China is the only one that can make it. Are the end users willing or able to look elsewhere for another chip manufacturer?

The question may be:
Does the end user want another chip maker? The end user here may have a piece of that Chinese chip maker. Getting somebody else to make the chips may shoot themselves in the wallet.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:15 pm

Trump is suggesting:

-$10 trillion from China in "reparations"
-Cancellation of all US debt to China
-A 100 percent tariff on all goods imported from China

Certainly better suggestions than what are coming from the Biden administration - which are basically do nothing.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:29 pm

I doubt that would happen but that's probably close to the actual cost.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:27 pm

I strongly disagree with this proposal if the intention is for the U.S. government to unilaterally default; such a move would damage the U.S. government's credit rating, would cause financing costs for our remaining debt to rise, and would potentially cause our currency to be devalued.

That said, I'm certainly open to sanctions, reparations, tariffs, etc.

A Settlement Agreement whereby China consensually agrees to forgive the United States' debt obligations (China reportedly holds about $1.1 trillion of our national debt) is a reasonable option.
I think a trade embargo the likes of what we've had on Cuba for many years would get China's attention.
Tell me - how successful has that embargo been in stifling or unseating the Castro regime?

An outright embargo would be bad news for U.S. exporters and for U.S. companies who have built facilities in China to be able to directly sell goods to Chinese consumers. This, in turn, would be bad news for main street and wall street investors alike. Numerous Fortune 500 companies would see their share prices significantly harmed.

I do think Chinese merchants or resellers who sell bootleg or counterfeit merchandise to U.S. consumers (I'm looking at you, wish.com) need to be banned in our country.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:23 pm

Fauci is China’s lapdog. Maybe we could start by dealing with his treason?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:15 pm
Trump is suggesting:

Certainly better suggestions than what are coming from the Biden administration - which are basically do nothing.
And who would hold China accountable to that? A simp talking through his ass making promises he can't keep means nothing.

Matt wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:23 pm
We should deal with Trump's treason because Fauci is innocent.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 pm
bmw wrote:
Trump is suggesting:

And who would hold China accountable to that? A simp talking through his ass making promises he can't keep means nothing.

Matt wrote:
Fauci aided and abetted a foreign adversary. That is high treason, punishable by death.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:50 pm
bmw wrote:
Trump is suggesting:

Matt wrote:
Fauci aided and abetted a foreign adversary. That is high treason, punishable by death.
He most certainly DID NOT!

Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm
Matt wrote:
bmw wrote:
Trump is suggesting:

Matt wrote:
Yes, he did. He is China's water boy and has committed high treason.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:52 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:40 pm
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:38 pm
Matt wrote:
bmw wrote:
Trump is suggesting:

Matt wrote:
Yes, he did. He is China's water boy and has committed high treason.
You have ZERO evidence of this. It is a concocted talking point by the right. He communicated with fellow researchers, but there is zero crime in that.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic