Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Republican Priorities

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

Re: Republican Priorities

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri May 28, 2021 5:56 pm

Many of the protests of the summer of 2020 were violent and deserve investigation and prosecution of criminal acts involved, by the authorities where the criminal acts were held. The "protest" of January 6, 2021 happened inside the Capitol building, in the District of Columbia. Congress oversees EVERY ASPECT of what happens in DC and the Capitol, including the budgets for the police and the city.

There is no precedent for Congress to investigate a protest in Portland Ore or Columbus Ohio. There is ample precedent for Congress to investigate a crime that occurred in the city they control inside the building where they work.

Proof that the government is broken. No one wants to govern, they all just want to win elections.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri May 28, 2021 6:00 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 2:17 pm
Of the over 400 people arrested only two, yes only two, have been charged with a serious crime.
75 have been charged with assaulting a police officer.. yeah, that's not really serious.

105 have weapons charges.

What the fuck news have you been consuming???

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 28, 2021 6:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:17 pm
So, two wrongs make a right?
I never said that. I'm simply answering the OP's question as to why (at least in-part) Congressional Republicans have no interest in investigating the events of January 6th. Democrats set the tone for how "mostly peaceful" protests are to be treated.

I also stated earlier in the thread that I have no problem with Congress investigating this, though I think that any such investigation by Congress should be limited in scope to the breakdown in security. Quite frankly I don't trust the current crop of Congressional Democrats to properly investigate a jay-walking.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri May 28, 2021 6:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:11 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:17 pm
So, two wrongs make a right?
Quite frankly I don't trust the current crop of Congressional Democrats to properly investigate a jay-walking.
And many like I don't trust the current crop of Congressional Republicans to keep to their word. At least when the D's sent an emissary in to negotiate the deal, they stood behind it. R's.. not so much.

And let's also face it - any investigation doesn't get to the root cause of this. None of this is over until a majority of the minority believes again in the legitimacy of the American election process. And I don't know how to fix that.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Where is any documentation or proof that members of Congress are effective investigators?? Why are we even thinking of spending any money or time having non-experts "investigate" this?? There are plenty of folks at the DOJ capable of this and already working on it. Congress should investigate how Congress and their appointees failed to prepare for the event, and maybe a few of them should be fired or forced to resign.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 28, 2021 8:51 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:33 pm
Where is any documentation or proof that members of Congress are effective investigators?? Why are we even thinking of spending any money or time having non-experts "investigate" this?? There are plenty of folks at the DOJ capable of this and already working on it. Congress should investigate how Congress and their appointees failed to prepare for the event, and maybe a few of them should be fired or forced to resign.
As I recall this was to be a 9/11 commission style investigation. That wasn’t done by sitting congresspeople.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat May 29, 2021 5:27 am

Big difference!

Class, attention!!

1. Y’all seem focused on attacks. When you SHOULD be focused on overthrowing democracy and our US Constitution.

2. The insurrectionists were there to stop Joe Biden from becoming president. To stop the vote of the American people from going forward in a free and fair election. And to find, bind, and kill Mike Pence.

3. They took those actions at the direction of the president of the US who lost said election.

4. And now Trump’s followers in congress have stopped a bi-partisan commission from investigating the timeline of events before, during, and after the insurrection. Calling witnesses. Hearing sworn testimony, etc.

5. The Black Lives Matter street protests well-attended all over the nation by H-U-G-E crowds - of both white men and women and non-whites alike - were about stopping the well documented pattern of American murders over decades of mostly black male drivers by mostly white cops. Which cell phone videos recently recording such murders - and G. Floyd’s murder in particular - ignited - at a nation-wide, grass roots level of (finally) mass comprehension or “wokeness”.

6. We’ve seen many massive street protests over the decades in this nation. Vietnam war protests come to mind as one example. What we’ve never seen before is a deranged US president who lost re-election - incite his followers with his Big Lie - to do exactly as video of the insurrection reveals - for all the world - for all time - to see, hear, and never forget.

Getoffmylawn

Post by Getoffmylawn » Sat May 29, 2021 8:29 am

I know this is a crazy idea, but hear me out.

How about we take a good hard look at the bad behavior on both sides and throw the violent douchebags from both the left and the right into a prison cell? Regardless of what cause you are marching/protesting/rioting for, once you cross the lines of committing violent acts you deserve the full consequences.

I have a healthy amount of disdain for both parties in their current incarnations, and a lot of that stems from the way that they (and their supporters) simply refuse to accept responsibility for the bad behavior demonstrated by anyone on "their" side. If one of your guys misbehaves and your first response is to point at the other side and say "but they did it too", you do not have the moral high ground.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Exemplary post! I agree completely.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat May 29, 2021 4:50 pm

screen glare wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:27 am
Big difference!

Class, attention!!

1. Y’all seem focused on attacks. When you SHOULD be focused on overthrowing democracy and our US Constitution.

2. The insurrectionists were there to stop Joe Biden from becoming president. To stop the vote of the American people from going forward in a free and fair election. And to find, bind, and kill Mike Pence.

3. They took those actions at the direction of the president of the US who lost said election.

4. And now Trump’s followers in congress have stopped a bi-partisan commission from investigating the timeline of events before, during, and after the insurrection. Calling witnesses. Hearing sworn testimony, etc.

5. The Black Lives Matter street protests well-attended all over the nation by H-U-G-E crowds - of both white men and women and non-whites alike - were about stopping the well documented pattern of American murders over decades of mostly black male drivers by mostly white cops. Which cell phone videos recently recording such murders - and G. Floyd’s murder in particular - ignited - at a nation-wide, grass roots level of (finally) mass comprehension or “wokeness”.

6. We’ve seen many massive street protests over the decades in this nation. Vietnam war protests come to mind as one example. What we’ve never seen before is a deranged US president who lost re-election - incite his followers with his Big Lie - to do exactly as video of the insurrection reveals - for all the world - for all time - to see, hear, and never forget.
^^^ That whole post should belong in a "jokes" forum.
Getoffmylawn wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:29 am
I know this is a crazy idea, but hear me out.

How about we take a good hard look at the bad behavior on both sides and throw the violent douchebags from both the left and the right into a prison cell? Regardless of what cause you are marching/protesting/rioting for, once you cross the lines of committing violent acts you deserve the full consequences.

I have a healthy amount of disdain for both parties in their current incarnations, and a lot of that stems from the way that they (and their supporters) simply refuse to accept responsibility for the bad behavior demonstrated by anyone on "their" side. If one of your guys misbehaves and your first response is to point at the other side and say "but they did it too", you do not have the moral high ground.
^^^ That's an example of a good, well thought out, post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic