Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Saturday Night Live has yet to impersonate Biden since he's been in office

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
jadednihilist

Re: Saturday Night Live has yet to impersonate Biden since he's been in office

Post by jadednihilist » Fri May 28, 2021 1:06 pm

Tangentially related question, what would you all consider your personal record for most skits you actually laughed at in a single episode of SNL? I don't recall that number ever going above 3 or maybe 4 on a "great" episode. It's always been several misses with sporadic hits for me.

Of the late night comics, I don't really find any of them consistently funny. I feel like Conan tends to have the best moments. I do miss Leno. I never was big into Letterman. Carson was just a bit before my time.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 28, 2021 2:46 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:06 pm
Tangentially related question, what would you all consider your personal record for most skits you actually laughed at in a single episode of SNL? I don't recall that number ever going above 3 or maybe 4 on a "great" episode. It's always been several misses with sporadic hits for me.

Of the late night comics, I don't really find any of them consistently funny. I feel like Conan tends to have the best moments. I do miss Leno. I never was big into Letterman. Carson was just a bit before my time.
I pretty much agree with this entire post. For me personally, the best late-night lineup was probably on NBC during the mid-2000s with Leno at 11:30 and Conan at 12:30. Conan's humor just seemed perfect for his 12:30 time slot and he was never the same after he left that spot. My only disagreement is over Letterman - I thought his show was great in the mid-late 1990s. Also as with you, Carson was just before my time. My introduction to late night comedy was probably Letterman in his first season on CBS.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 28, 2021 5:29 pm

I think bmw's question is a perfectly legitimate one.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 28, 2021 6:38 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm
Could be that it's just plain wrong to poke fun of someone in the early stages of dementia.
I think SNL is terrified at the backlash they would receive on social media if they poked fun at literally any of Biden's traits. Just doing some google searching SNL and Joe Biden, it looks like outside of a few very tame jokes about Biden on their Weekend Update segment, Biden might as well not exist as far as SNL is concerned. I would wager money that this is an executive decision, probably higher up in NBC than at the executive level of SNL, rooted in a combination of fear of backlash and political bias. Which, if that is the case, they might as well cancel SNL as it is now a wholly irrelevant television program.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri May 28, 2021 7:20 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:38 pm
...I would wager money that this is an executive decision, probably higher up in NBC than at the executive level of SNL, rooted in a combination of fear of backlash and political bias. Which, if that is the case, they might as well cancel SNL as it is now a wholly irrelevant television program.
Might come from higher up than that. The folks in Philly invested a LOT of money and effort getting him into the WH.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri May 28, 2021 7:37 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:38 pm
Bryce wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm
Could be that it's just plain wrong to poke fun of someone in the early stages of dementia.
I think SNL is terrified at the backlash they would receive on social media if they poked fun at literally any of Biden's traits. Just doing some google searching SNL and Joe Biden, it looks like outside of a few very tame jokes about Biden on their Weekend Update segment, Biden might as well not exist as far as SNL is concerned. I would wager money that this is an executive decision, probably higher up in NBC than at the executive level of SNL, rooted in a combination of fear of backlash and political bias. Which, if that is the case, they might as well cancel SNL as it is now a wholly irrelevant television program.
As I've written each time conservatives get a bug up their ass about SNL and its impending doom because of political content, NBC will cancel SNL the minute it stops making oodles of cash for the company and not a minute sooner.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 pm

Are you suggesting that once-fans of the show (or fans of any show for that matter) don't have the right to express their opinions about the direction of said show? I mean, I kind of thought that was the whole point of this MIBUZZBOARD website - to discuss tv and radio.

And politics aside, it is a fair question to ponder. Why has a show that built its reputation over the past 45 years lampooning current presidents suddenly stopped doing that once Joe Biden took office?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 28, 2021 11:34 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 pm
Are you suggesting that once-fans of the show (or fans of any show for that matter) don't have the right to express their opinions about the direction of said show? I mean, I kind of thought that was the whole point of this MIBUZZBOARD website - to discuss tv and radio.

And politics aside, it is a fair question to ponder. Why has a show that built its reputation over the past 45 years lampooning current presidents suddenly stopped doing that once Joe Biden took office?
What’s to lampoon without coming off as downright mean? Even conservatives are struggling to land blows on him. Hannity has taken to feebly calling him “Sippy Cup Joe” for god sakes. If a guy with every desire to destroy him can’t come up with anything it’s a bad sign.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat May 29, 2021 12:16 am

bmw wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 pm
If you wanted to discuss the merits of the program, there's a "Network & Syndicated Radio and TV" forum on "this MIBUZZBOARD website - to discuss tv and radio". You decided to take it to the political forum and now you're acting like a little bitch when folks respond in a political manner. SMH

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat May 29, 2021 3:54 am

Sippy Cup Joe does not remind me of Biden. It instantly reminds of Trump’s two handed water drinking style. Hannity is really struggling to skewer Biden’s brain by messing with his
speech impediments.

Don’t forget the movie The King’s Speech. Risky to attack stuttering, etc. Nowadays most of us know a King’s or President’s stuttering or inability to get around without a wheelchair or a genius scientist’s inability to talk without use of a computerized voice have nothing to do with leadership ability or decision making, creativity or thinking.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:15 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:34 pm
What’s to lampoon without coming off as downright mean?
Because he stutters?

I no longer directly engage trolls

kager

Post by kager » Sat May 29, 2021 7:28 am

NBC will cancel SNL the minute it stops making oodles of cash for the company and not a minute sooner.
Can a network cancel itself?

Seems SNL is running the show over there, not the other way around.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 29, 2021 11:33 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:15 am
Rate This wrote:
Because he stutters?
That and ageism… you gonna make fun of his tendency to be personable or folksy? He’s so dull that it’s a thin bench of material…

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:33 am
craig11152 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:15 am
Rate This wrote:
Because he stutters?
That and ageism… you gonna make fun of his tendency to be personable or folksy? He’s so dull that it’s a thin bench of material…
Its a job of a comedy writer to find something to mock unless you are told not to. Seems to me "dull" or "folksy" would provide a ton of material for a good writer. As to ageism when does that kick in? Trump is only 3.5 years younger.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 29, 2021 12:56 pm

The first video I posted earlier in this thread has them lampooning Strom Thurmond who was almost 90 at the time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic