Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Liz Lady Burns at the Stake for Principle. Next? A Third Party.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

Liz Lady Burns at the Stake for Principle. Next? A Third Party.

Post by screen glare » Wed May 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Dad Cheney schooling dear daughter all the way. Calculates enough silent yet horrified anti-Trump republicans left to form a viable third political party.

Lead on, Liz!

screen glare

Re: Liz Lady Burns at the Stake for Principle. Next? A Third Party.

Post by screen glare » Wed May 12, 2021 5:36 pm

You gotta know Geo Bush agrees. So does Romney. Jeb. And a load of other quiet anti-Trump Repubs. Plus a S—-load of voters all across the USA.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 pm

I see Pope Francis ( through The Doctrine of The Faith department) just tossed a wet blanket on the steamin’ US Bishops trying to deny communion to Catholic Ol’ Joe.

Bruhahahahahahahahaha!

Stupid political zealots. Apparently those guys forgot about their own sins. Sheesh!

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed May 12, 2021 9:34 pm

I still think it's a bit premature to read too much into the political implications stripping Liz Cheney of rank. I think the most probable outcome is that she joins the NeverTrumpers and becomes another Jeff Flake. The wedge between NeverTrump neoconservatives and the rest of the GOP does present a challenge for electability overall, but that challenge is not insurmountable and it would be unwise to treat the GOP as if it's in shambles.

The US is center-right and the raw electoral math currently favors Republicans, meaning that Democrats need more than 2-3% north of 50% of the popular vote to solidify electoral wins. Given that there are also wedges between the conservative, establishment, and progressive wings of the Democratic party (although much less vitriolic than the Trump and NeverTrump wings of the GOP), and that we're stuck in a long-lasting cycle of "change" elections, I don't consider any power balance to be stable right now.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:26 pm

So the system she took great pride in creating turned on her and spit her out... now she wants everyone to feel bad for her. Fuck off.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:34 pm
I still think it's a bit premature to read too much into the political implications stripping Liz Cheney of rank. I think the most probable outcome is that she joins the NeverTrumpers and becomes another Jeff Flake. The wedge between NeverTrump neoconservatives and the rest of the GOP does present a challenge for electability overall, but that challenge is not insurmountable and it would be unwise to treat the GOP as if it's in shambles.

The US is center-right and the raw electoral math currently favors Republicans, meaning that Democrats need more than 2-3% north of 50% of the popular vote to solidify electoral wins. Given that there are also wedges between the conservative, establishment, and progressive wings of the Democratic party (although much less vitriolic than the Trump and NeverTrump wings of the GOP), and that we're stuck in a long-lasting cycle of "change" elections, I don't consider any power balance to be stable right now.
How does the raw electoral math favor the Republicans? They’ve lost 5 of the last 8 presidential elections and 7 of 8 popular votes… that doesn’t sound tremendously favorable and the demographics continue to trend the wrong way…

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 13, 2021 7:32 am

Chasing out moderates and non-racist members of the Republican Party isn't the most brilliant way to win back the White House. Trump lost because a majority of the country don't want someone like that leading

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 pm
jadednihilist wrote:

How does the raw electoral math favor the Republicans? They’ve lost 5 of the last 8 presidential elections and 7 of 8 popular votes… that doesn’t sound tremendously favorable and the demographics continue to trend the wrong way…
Your rebuttal contains part of the answer. Republicans have won 2 of the past 8 presidential elections despite losing the popular vote. If the electoral math was 1:1 with the popular vote, a Democrat would have been President 7 out of the last 8 times (arguably more since Bush lost the popular vote in his first term). The fact of the matter is that we give power to our land, and not just our population. This is especially true in the Senate. Democrats tend to to do well in fairly compact urban (and now maybe suburban) centers, where Republicans do best in rural communities that cover the rest of the country. FiveThirtyEight has a pretty good read that goes into more detail on the subject.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 am

jadednihilist wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 pm
jadednihilist wrote:

Your rebuttal contains part of the answer. Republicans have won 2 of the past 8 presidential elections despite losing the popular vote. If the electoral math was 1:1 with the popular vote, a Democrat would have been President 7 out of the last 8 times (arguably more since Bush lost the popular vote in his first term). The fact of the matter is that we give power to our land, and not just our population. This is especially true in the Senate. Democrats tend to to do well in fairly compact urban (and now maybe suburban) centers, where Republicans do best in rural communities that cover the rest of the country. FiveThirtyEight has a pretty good read that goes into more detail on the subject.
Good point. They also have several swingish states they can gerrymander to their hearts content. They are over represented in the senate and the electoral college. It gives the illusion that they have more than their actual support which is about 40% of the country. Only here would you let 40% of the people have a legitimate chance at running the show. It also discourages meaningful competition by artificially inflating their standing. They don’t have to try to come up with ideas a majority wants so they simply don’t come up with any ideas at all.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm

I fully embrace the idea of a mainstream third party. Long overdue, IMO.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 13, 2021 9:10 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm
You love math, tell us what the odds of a third party wedging it's way into the fray?

I bet it's below 15%, but a perfect amount to keep the GOP from winning in the time of Trump.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat May 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Lady Liz has a shot at creating a true Republican Party. But she had better move fast in that direction. She had better get some well-known, anti white supremacy, anti Q crap conservatives out front along with her - in a very public way. And start it NOW.

No time to rest.

She’s made a heroic splash and now other conservative power brokers have to jump into the deep end with her. No more silence. No more sitting on the fence. Those who feel like she does have to step up and step out front - right now.

People will join in if they see a band wagon to jump on. If not - the whole “safety in numbers” armor that makes the timid bold will never get rolling.

An army of level headed republicans who abhor Trump, Q, January 6th, and insanity have to fall in line behind Liz in a strong public way. The true patriots on the conservative side have to speak up resoundingly and join Liz Cheney.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 16, 2021 11:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Won’t happen, short of one party breaking into two. Even that is the longest of longshots and would just cause the remaining unified party to win forever.

G G

Post by G G » Tue May 25, 2021 11:54 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:44 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Won’t happen, short of one party breaking into two.
I agree. However, I could see some members of the GOP temporarily creating another party to show they mean business.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue May 25, 2021 12:19 pm

MTG is murdering any final shreds of dignity this party had left by comparing masks to the Holocaust. Put a muzzle on that bitch.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic