Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Joey Biden's gas lines and inflation

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Joey Biden's gas lines and inflation

Post by Bryce » Wed May 26, 2021 8:29 pm

zzand wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:18 pm
Bryce I think it's just 300 now and at last count 21 states were cancelling it so people would rejoin the workforce
At this moment, in the State of Michigan, you are eligible for up to 336.00 in state unemployment with an additional 300.00 kicked in and on top of that by the federal government due to a Biden extension.

Pretty tough for a guy like me that pays 500.00 a week as a starting wage to attract people. I won't go higher for two reasons. 1, my business model is based upon this wage, which I think is very fair. And 2, with this position, there is a fair amount of training that needs to be done. Why should colleges charge to teach people how to do things and I have to pay people more than 500.00 per week to do the same thing?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed May 26, 2021 11:44 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:29 pm
zzand wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:18 pm
Bryce I think it's just 300 now and at last count 21 states were cancelling it so people would rejoin the workforce
At this moment, in the State of Michigan, you are eligible for up to 336.00 in state unemployment with an additional 300.00 kicked in and on top of that by the federal government due to a Biden extension.

Pretty tough for a guy like me that pays 500.00 a week as a starting wage to attract people. I won't go higher for two reasons. 1, my business model is based upon this wage, which I think is very fair. And 2, with this position, there is a fair amount of training that needs to be done. Why should colleges charge to teach people how to do things and I have to pay people more than 500.00 per week to do the same thing?
With all due respect, what you consider fair is irrelevant. If the labor market demonstrates your pay is insufficient to attract workers then your business model is faulty for current market conditions and needs to be reevaluated. If at a later time conditions change then your model should change as well. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 12:10 am

The makers should set the bar for fair wages until unemployment is at 0.00%. The takers skate by on welfare programs, which drives up the cost of labor. Makers have to work harder so the takers can be lazy. That's all it is.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu May 27, 2021 12:31 am

G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:10 am
The makers should set the bar for fair wages until unemployment is at 0.00%. The takers skate by on welfare programs, which drives up the cost of labor. Makers have to work harder so the takers can be lazy. That's all it is.
Did you get that little nugget off the back of a cereal box because I'll guarantee it didn't come from anyone who knows anything about business.

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 12:32 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:31 am
G G wrote:
Did you get that little nugget off the back of a cereal box because I'll guarantee it didn't come from anyone who knows anything about business.
supply and demand, brah. government just messed it all up.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu May 27, 2021 12:33 am

G G wrote:

In my world, we bargain collectively with our employer for a fair wage.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 1:01 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:33 am
G G wrote:

If you don't like what I'm paying, go find someone else who will pay you what you want. 'nuff said.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu May 27, 2021 1:55 am

G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:01 am
Turkeytop wrote:
G G wrote:

If you don't like what I'm paying, go find someone else who will pay you what you want. 'nuff said.
Yup and by the same token no crying if you can't find or keep employees because your wages are not competitive. 'nuff said.

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 2:25 am

Thu May 27, 2021 1:55 am
G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:01 am
Turkeytop wrote:
G G wrote:

Yup and by the same token no crying if you can't find or keep employees because your wages are not competitive. 'nuff said.
Not so fast, les. I am going to complain when the government's handouts are responsible for creating a scenario where i have to pay more. I shouldn't have to compete with people being able to make money for doing nothing at all, but here we are! the takers are ruining the economy with their buddy joe asleep at the wheel.

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 am

It's 2:46AM in the morning and I'm having to work on a project because a contractor of ours dipped out on us because he could make more doing nothing than he does working. I consider that a problem, and not one caused by the wage we pay, but a problem created by the government incentivizing sloth.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 27, 2021 5:04 am

G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 am
It's 2:46AM in the morning and I'm having to work on a project because a contractor of ours dipped out on us because he could make more doing nothing than he does working. I consider that a problem, and not one caused by the wage we pay, but a problem created by the government incentivizing sloth.
It hasn’t occurred to you that wages haven’t kept up with inflation since the 1970’s? If you do that long enough your “fair wage” won’t be nearly enough to get it done. Even when the extended unemployment is gone, which will happen fairly soon, it’ll be hard to attract people to a lot of jobs… they simply don’t pay enough. That’s where the $15/hr. thing even for places like fast food came from. If wages had kept up with inflation we would be there or higher minimum and things would be far more sustainable than they are now. This two and three jobs to make ends meet thing would be less prevalent.
Last edited by Rate This on Thu May 27, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 5:07 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:04 am
G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 am
It hasn’t occurred to you that wages haven’t kept up with inflation since the 1970’s? If you do that long enough your “fair wage” won’t be nearly enough to get it done.
we cant reach a fair wage when people receive handouts. you understand that right?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:49 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:12 pm
km1125 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:57 am
zzand wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:27 am
Chiuld care I agree with, transportation not so much. A reliable way to get to work is on the employee not the employer.
In a world where car ownership becomes ever more expensive and some alternate means of transportation may not be available it’s perhaps time to reevaluate that.
My sister rode her BIKE to work for three years until she felt comfortable paying extra for a car. She did that in all FOUR seasons that we have in Michigan. And we're talking bicycle, not motorcycle. You could even upgrade to a moped or e-bike for those who struggle with fitness issues. Still MUCH cheaper than a car.
And if you work a long ways from home?
What do you consider "a long ways"?

If you're going to say "more than a few blocks" or anything less than 8-10 miles, then I'd say get a better definition. If it's more than you're comfortable with, try and arrange a carpool or find a different job. There are plenty of entry-level jobs out there.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 27, 2021 7:58 am

Wed May 26, 2021 11:44 pm

With all due respect, what you consider fair is irrelevant. If the labor market demonstrates your pay is insufficient to attract workers then your business model is faulty for current market conditions and needs to be reevaluated. If at a later time conditions change then your model should change as well. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?
But it isn't market conditions that is causing the pay to be insufficient, it's government interference.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 27, 2021 8:28 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:58 am
Wed May 26, 2021 11:44 pm

But it isn't market conditions that is causing the pay to be insufficient, it's government interference.
The pay won’t be magically sufficient when the extra unemployment is gone. People will simply make it work. There’s a difference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic