Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump Proves His Hold Over GOP Again As House Leaders Prepare To Purge Liz Cheney

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Trump Proves His Hold Over GOP Again As House Leaders Prepare To Purge Liz Cheney

Post by bmw » Wed May 12, 2021 9:39 am

As an elected representative, she absolutely has every right to speak her mind. That isn't the issue. The issue is her leadership position. You can't be in the small minority on a significant issue within your party and hold that high of a level of a leadership position. It is the same reason Joe Manchin, no matter how many elections he wins, will NEVER be the majority or minority leader of the Senate.

Rate This

Re: Trump Proves His Hold Over GOP Again As House Leaders Prepare To Purge Liz Cheney

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 am

bmw wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:39 am
As an elected representative, she absolutely has every right to speak her mind. That isn't the issue. The issue is her leadership position. You can't be in the small minority on a significant issue within your party and hold that high of a level of a leadership position. It is the same reason Joe Manchin, no matter how many elections he wins, will NEVER be the majority or minority leader of the Senate.
But unlike her Manchin along with Sinema are the two most powerful people in congress right now. The Democrats have not thrown him in the corner and ignored him for being pretty conservative.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 am

That's because Manchin holds REAL power - as in, if the Dems push him too far, he could just defect to the Republican party and give actual control of the Senate to Republicans. Don't think that Democrats aren't well aware of this and are treading carefully for this reason alone or that they wouldn't be treating him differently if their majority was a seat or two larger. In Cheney's case, Dems had no input and the Republicans obviously had the votes to oust her.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 9:52 am

bmw wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 am
That's because Manchin holds REAL power - as in, if the Dems push him too far, he could just defect to the Republican party and give actual control of the Senate to Republicans. Don't think that Democrats aren't well aware of this and are treading carefully for this reason alone or that they wouldn't be treating him differently if their majority was a seat or two larger. In Cheney's case, Dems had no input and the Republicans obviously had the votes to oust her.
But do you think this is a move that will grow their support or cause them to do BETTER? It’s a grave mistake to alienate 10-15% of your voters by basically telling them “if you don’t like Trump that shut the fuck up and sit at the back with your head down or get the fuck out of our party”… it’s political suicide.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 am

How the move plays out politically is anybody's guess. I do find it mildly amusing the amount of interest the left, including the media, has in this story. As a very general rule, if your political opposition is telling you that what you're doing is politically bad for your own party, the opposite is probably true.

And I gotta be honest - until this became news, I wasn't even aware that Liz Cheney held a leadership position, and I follow politics more than the average person. At the end of the day, my best guess is that this move quickly gets forgotten about and has no real political consequences either way. When most people here the name "Cheney," they think of VP Dick Cheney who wasn't exactly popular among much of anybody.

On a side-note, with Liz Cheney being Dick Cheney's daughter, watching the left criticize this move to me seems like the same as if they were to criticize the move of ousting one of Donald Trump's children from a future leadership position within the party. Just seems odd to me.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 10:21 am

bmw wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 am
How the move plays out politically is anybody's guess. I do find it mildly amusing the amount of interest the left, including the media, has in this story. As a very general rule, if your political opposition is telling you that what you're doing is politically bad for your own party, the opposite is probably true.

And I gotta be honest - until this became news, I wasn't even aware that Liz Cheney held a leadership position, and I follow politics more than the average person. At the end of the day, my best guess is that this move quickly gets forgotten about and has no real political consequences either way. When most people here the name "Cheney," they think of VP Dick Cheney who wasn't exactly popular among much of anybody.

On a side-note, with Liz Cheney being Dick Cheney's daughter, watching the left criticize this move to me seems like the same as if they were to criticize the move of ousting one of Donald Trump's children from a future leadership position within the party. Just seems odd to me.
The Republican Party is in shambles right now. Civil war within the party is here. They are not United. Most people on the left are simply in awe of how much disarray they are in and how they are still so beholden to someone who lost fair and square and will not be running again but who will be making money off of it for as long as he can.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am

Not sure I agree with the characterization of "shambles," but I would say that at least at the national level that they're impotent. Their inability as a party to distance themselves from the "election was stolen" narrative almost certainly cost them control of the Senate, and now they're busy authoring bills like the one in the House to fire Fauci - on which, while I sympathize, will go absolutely nowhere and thus is a complete waste of time. Their complete inability to coherently defend small government principles and apply those principles to the Coronavirus pandemic and the trillions of Congressional spending without being portrayed as and stuck in the mold of being a bunch of right-wing nutjobs is concerning. Democrats are certainly winning all PR battles right now and the Republicans simply lack a leader capable of appealing to moderates across the country. Governor DeSantis is probably the closest thing the Republicans have right now to a viable leader, but his appeal is still largely limited to the southeast.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 3:05 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am
Not sure I agree with the characterization of "shambles," but I would say that at least at the national level that they're impotent. Their inability as a party to distance themselves from the "election was stolen" narrative almost certainly cost them control of the Senate, and now they're busy authoring bills like the one in the House to fire Fauci - on which, while I sympathize, will go absolutely nowhere and thus is a complete waste of time. Their complete inability to coherently defend small government principles and apply those principles to the Coronavirus pandemic and the trillions of Congressional spending without being portrayed as and stuck in the mold of being a bunch of right-wing nutjobs is concerning. Democrats are certainly winning all PR battles right now and the Republicans simply lack a leader capable of appealing to moderates across the country. Governor DeSantis is probably the closest thing the Republicans have right now to a viable leader, but his appeal is still largely limited to the southeast.
We call this “shambles”, “a mess”, “a country mile from getting anywhere”, “probably gonna spend a while in the wilderness”… this is similar to where the Democrats were after the civil war… they spent decades as a largely regional party running around tilting at various windmills while getting nowhere fast..

G G

Post by G G » Tue May 25, 2021 12:08 pm

DeSantis would make a good Veep under Trump in 2024

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic