Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jill Biden: Bad Dissertation Writer; Applauded for Teaching English at Comm College

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
jadednihilist

Re: Jill Biden: Bad Dissertation Writer; Applauded for Teaching English at Comm College

Post by jadednihilist » Wed May 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm
jadednihilist wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:37 pm
What has been a potentially substantive conversation has devolved into yet another hopeless flame fest... sigh.
Par for the course around here. On a non-inflammatory note… it would be nice if we had a real introspective look at how we get people into the workforce and encourage them to better themselves or not. Germany provides one model of a path to a career from the time one is ready to enter high school. I’m not sure how they determine who goes where but far fewer are left to dangle in the wind.
That's a pretty interesting thought. I did a bit of digging and found, at least with the pandemic, Germany has a fundamentally different approach to unemployment than the United States. Rather than incentivize people seeking unemployment benefits, the German government has subsidized the payroll of businesses to encourage nonessential workers to stay home while keeping them on their payroll.

More broadly, Germany has enjoyed a steadily decreasing unemployment rate in the 21st century, including a dampened impact from the 2008 financial crisis. One potential issue, with respect to wealthy European nations, is that upward mobility in Germany (while much better than the US) is still limited. However, income inequality is less of an issue, so lower income earners are better off than they are here. I have to wonder if that's due to their marginal tax burdens don't peak for middle income earners like they do here, but is rather even/flat (which conservatives here should love) at about 45% (which conservatives would hate. However, increased tax revenues does mitigate H*** expenses like healthcare.

With respect to education, this link provides a solid qualitative description of the differences between US and German education. In summary, it seems like German education emphasizes personal responsibility -- something not really implicitly taught here until college. Interestingly enough, Germany spends fractionally less on education than the United States - and teachers are paid comparably. The overall results for students are fairly mixed according to the 2018 PISA rankings. Judging these rankings, Canada would probably be a better proxy for what American education could look like with the proper reforms.

I'm not sure what Canada does differently than us or Germany; perhaps TurkeyTop could enlighten us. Otherwise I'll skim over that a bit later.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

G G

Re: Jill Biden: Bad Dissertation Writer; Applauded for Teaching English at Comm College

Post by G G » Tue May 25, 2021 12:06 pm

I agree that personal responsibility needs to be a large part of education and that it needs to begin earlier. The most important things that come from K-12 is the preparation and development of good citizens. Our K-12 system is screwed up by the usual suspects so we get what we get.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:59 pm

I commend Dr. Jill for her educational level. But since she is married to Joe, does she do his laundry?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic